Please help me choose a versatile petty

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I looking for a versatile 150 mm petty that I can use for a variety of utility tasks, occasional fine board work and paring, and also to break down or debone chickens. Because of the potential contact with bone, I imagine that very hard, brittle metals like AS would not be a good choice, but please correct me if I am wrong. What metals/makers/models do you suggest I consider for versatility?

Some I have been looking at so far are all over the map, including Tojiro DP, Masamoto VG, Tanaka, Takamuri Migaki R2, Kanehiro Ginsan, Shimo R2, among others. I would appreciate any thoughts to narrow it down or steer towards a better option. Thanks!

What country are you in?
-USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
-Petty, 150 mm

Are you right or left handed?
-Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
-Either

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
-150 mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
-Stainless clad or stainless

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
-$200 USD

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
-Home. Would appreciate professional quality, though.

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
-Break down/debone chicken, chop small veggies, paring, general utility

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
-None

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
-Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
-Various, perhaps less relevant for a petty mostly used off the board.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
-Versatile, tough enough for incidental bone contact and maybe a little scraping

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
-Function is more important than aesthetics but I would certainly appreciate a beautiful knife.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
-Not sure for a petty

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
-I can sharpen and have stones, although still learning to become very good at it. Stainless clad or stainless would be nice.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
-Not a key criterion but longer retention and less sharpening is convenient.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
-End grain maple

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
-Yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
-NA

Hi everyone, This is an old post that was held in limbo until I just posted in the New Member forum. I wound up getting a Kurosaki R2 hammered. I like it but it is quite thin and doesn't seem wise to use near bone. So I am still curious what others might consider a more versatile, tougher petty...

Hi everyone, This is an old post that was held in limbo until I just posted in the New Member forum. I wound up getting a Kurosaki R2 hammered. I like it but it is quite thin and doesn't seem wise to use near bone. So I am still curious what others might consider a more versatile, tougher petty...
It's called a boning knife....you're welcome

In hand paring/fine detail work and boning chickens are tasks with some opposing if not mutually exclusive requirements so no tool will really be optimal for both. There is the honesuki, a knife optimized for boning chickens, which could be used as a utility knife more than a Western style boning knife can, though the Japanese method of breaking down a chicken is different from the European (check YouTube). However, the honesuki is much taller at the heel and has a thicker blade than a petty knife. As you have already found, a thin petty knife, especially with an edge set up for detail work, is not good for working near bones.

The two that come to mind that might be adequate for fine cutting while being usable - with caution and attention - for chickens are the Konosuke GS+ “butcher’s petty” http://bernal-cutlery.shoplightspeed.com/bernal-cutlery-konosuke-gs-ko-sabaki-butchers-pett.html and the Shun Blue Steel “utility/butchery knife”. I haven’t used either, though, and am just going on pictures and sellers’ descriptions.

Back