Please help me choose so I can stop thinking about it (chosera 800 vs 1000)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slickmamba

Reaction score
I have been scouring the forums for a while now and can't make a choice between the chosera 800 or 1000 as my first/only stone. I will add a finishing stone 3-5k sometime later in the future, but want something to learn how to sharpen and last me a while!

I plan to have only AS, aogami 2, shirogami 2, or 52100 knives, nothing super hard.

The other stones I have been considering as a learning/only stone are:
cerax 1000
gesshin 2000

I'd suggest Gesshin 2k if looking for a one stone solution.

What if I just want a medium stone for now, and will get a finishing stone later?

Same...which is why I made the suggestion. It's a great mid grit that can also work as a finisher while you are waiting to buy one. Call JKI and get Jon's opinion.:)

haha will do, I've seen him on youtube for hours. What would the lineup be with a 2000 as the medium grit? 400, 2000, 6000?

Sure, actually I'd suggest his 600 for quick work and maybe later add something like a 220 for repairs. Where you finish is up to you but his 6k stones (he has a splash and go and soaker) are both well reviewed though I've only owned the s and g...I also like his 5k s and g. His 600 is an awesome stone btw.

one is splash and go
and one is soaker

also one is harder
and one is softer IIRC

both would be good choices
but its not about "quALITY"

this is all high end
and you need to fit your style ...

one is splash and go
and one is soaker

also one is harder
and one is softer IIRC

both would be good choices
but its not about "quALITY"

this is all high end
and you need to fit your style ...

Curious if you've used both? I've personally not tried the 6k soaker so can't compare the two...part of why I suggested calling Jon. Agree all his stones are high end ****.:)

Chosera 800 over the 1k for me. I like it because it is slightly softer, more aggressive and has more immediate feedback. Having said that, I like the idea of calling Jon. He is super humble and straight forward. Has always taken good care of me when I call or email. :) I have a few of his Gesshin stones (220, 400 and 6k soaker). I used the 220 and 400 today thinning out an ebay find. :D

I am a Chosera 800 guy because it is a nice agressive 800 stone,closer to a 1k stone. When I want a great soaker 2k stone,I reach for my Gesshin 2k and when I want a good splash and go 2k,I reach for my Shapton Pro 2k. These stones put a smile on my face.

I went through this exact dilemma for a long time. Several people recommended the 800 over the 1k. Having purchased the 800, I really enjoy the feedback and feel you get when sharpening. The other option was a cerax 1000, but I ultimately went for a splash and go, because I dont have the time to wait for soakers with kids, job, etc. It’s nice to just pick up the stone and throw some water on it and go!

I went through this exact dilemma for a long time. Several people recommended the 800 over the 1k. Having purchased the 800, I really enjoy the feedback and feel you get when sharpening. The other option was a cerax 1000, but I ultimately went for a splash and go, because I dont have the time to wait for soakers with kids, job, etc. It’s nice to just pick up the stone and throw some water on it and go!

Thanks man, do you think the 800 might be too aggressive/fast for a beginner?

"do you think the 800 might be too aggressive/fast for a beginner?"
Nope. Because,one of the things a beginner has trouble with is maintaining a proper consistent angle during the sharpening.Being able to spend less time on the stone because it is aggressive means less chance of screwing up.That is one way of looking at it. Don't think of the 800 as something like a rough concrete block.It is a very nice stone with a very nice feel and feedback.

I've only been at this a year now, the cho 800 was the first stone i bought, works well for me. If i had it to do over again i would probably buy it as my first stone. I now also have the 400 and 3000, a great combo.

Thanks man, do you think the 800 might be too aggressive/fast for a beginner?

Nope. I’m a beginner and it’s very comfortable. You can really “feel” the knife on the stones and it’s pretty easy to sharpen with. The Chosera 800 is actually more like a 1000-1200 grit finish even though it’s an 800. It’s a great first stone, you won’t be disappointed!

Back