Please help me decide on a kurouchi petty knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since my acquirement of a Shigefusa KU santoku 165mm, I have found the utility of smaller knives.

I am trying to get my hands on a petty in 150-165mm size for home use only.

Unfortunately, I can't find a Shig petty on sale right now.

I have nailed down my search to the following (please make other recommendations as you see fit):

1. Munetoshi KU petty 165mm:
https://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/munetoshi-kurouchi-petty-165mm/I heard this Munetoshi-san clad his own steel+water quench. The HT is quite legendary from what other people say on the forum. However, it is a little on the thicker side and the FF seems rough. I am willing to spend time to sand + polish with uchigumori fingerstones. However, I don't feel confident about changing a knife too much to the point where it messes up the balance/feel of the knife.

2. Yoshihiro Masashi KU petty 150mm:
https://www.echefknife.com/product/...hi-series-petty-utility-japanese-knife-6-150/The FF on this looks on par with my Shig KU santoku from the pictures. However, I know nothing about how it actually performs, steel HT, and how it feels in the hand. If anyone has experience with this, please share.

3. Hitohira Kikuchiyo Kyuzo White #2 Kurouchi Petty 150mm
https://hitohira-japan.com/products/daa-120-ba150?_pos=1&_sid=ef900a005&_ss=rHave not heard much about this line, but it seems cool from how Hitohira markets this line.

4. Murata 150mm KU petty from chef knives to go
KKF seems to block URL from CKTG
Nice price point. However, I hear that the grind is atrocious on these. FF looks pretty bad too.

I have grown very fond of Sanjo/KU/iron clad knives because of my Shig KU, that's why all of the ones I am looking at fit into similar categories.

Please offer your opinions and help me decide.

Last edited:
I’m over 150 petties. 180 is better. Taller is better. That said, the Munetoshi is what I’d get for sure. Looks tall enough and probably long enough. Looks pretty sweet actually. I had a Munetoshi butcher and you definitely need to even out the bevel if you want to get a good looking finish, but it’s good steel.

I’m over 150 petties. 180 is better. Taller is better. That said, the Munetoshi is what I’d get for sure. Looks tall enough and probably long enough. Looks pretty sweet actually. I had a Munetoshi butcher and you definitely need to even out the bevel if you want to get a good looking finish, but it’s good steel.

I love that 180 Mazaki petty I bought from you. Wish I felt the same about the Gyuto I bought.

Just for clarity. A lot of people do like petties with lower heel height. Maybe they’re more civilized than I am, or have different uses in mind.

I love that 180 Mazaki petty I bought from you. Wish I felt the same about the Gyuto I bought.

Yea, lots of people really like the 180 petty, with reason. I was never really sure that it gelled with my cutting style, although I had moments of love. Glad it has found a good home.

Really didn’t like the kasumi gyuto I bought a while ago, but @Barmoley lent me his new kurouchi one from Carbon and that was a big improvement.

Last edited:
Might also look at a Zakuri (150, blue steel) or a 180 Kochi petty from JKI.

Murata is my go to petty/parer. I don't really like using a small knife that much. But I was pleasantly surprised by it. For tasks I feel I really do need one for, it is my preference.

I am a home cook and not a pro, but I have enjoyed using my 180 Mazaki petty daily for the last few weeks. I got it from this last batch that CKC had in. As I have posted elsewhere, I do not like the Nas/KU finish at all. My dislike is mostly aesthetic though. The performance and usefulness of this blade is very good and I feel the positives outweigh the ugliness. It has a great taper, nice thin tip and is comfortable to hold and use on the board. I found that it developed a bluish patina very quickly from a combination of proteins, mainly pork and chicken along with shallots and garlic. I originally wanted a 150 petty, but a few members here pointed out that they felt the 180 length was more useful and I am glad I listened the them! Good luck with your choice.

Latest posts

Back