please help me find a real knife for my father

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As the title already suggests I'm looking for a knife for my father. At the moment he is using mostly cheap junk stainless knives that are basically made to be thrown away when they get dull but now he wants something that can actually be sharpened. Gven his current knives everything will be a significant upgrade regardless of what I buy.

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Gyuto/western chef knife

Are you right or left handed?
right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
western

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
240+

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
not essential but preferred I think

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
200$ but would like to stay well below

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
general purpose except heavy butchery

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
some cheap stainless

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
easy to sharpen

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
yes

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
yes he knows how to do it

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
no

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
I would prefer to buy within Europe due to customs but am also open for international if something reall nice can be had.

Thanks in advance!

https://www.sabatier-k.com/cuisine-25-cm-serie-200-manche-en-g10.htmlA lightweight, no laser though. Steel 14C28N @60Rc, G10 handle, balance at pinch grip. Fit&Finish: forget all you know about French makers. This one is at least on par with Misonos.
Here a review of the smaller version:
https://www.messerforum.net/threads/review-k-sabatier-200-jahre-8-generationen-7-inch.127483/
If you prefer a more traditional looking and heavier Western gyuto, you may consider the Misono 440. An excellent all-rounder.
https://japanesechefsknife.com/products/misono-440-series-gyuto-knife

With the given check list I'd probably be looking at this one.
Gyuto
Haven't used one, but gets decent reviews and seems like a fine knife for the price with interesting steel.

They have couple other options that fit the bill too.You could ask them which they would recommend and why.

This used to be the Tanaka dammy VG10 territory before, but these days they're well south of 200€. Plus getting hard to find too.

As a non-professional home cook, I find 180-210 much easier to use than the couple of 240's that I have. Plus, usually cheaper. The Misono referenced above is $51 less in a 210 than a 240. For $65, you could get a 1000/4000 stone and still be less than $200.

Thanks to everyone for the really interesting suggestions.
I was offered a lightly used Misono dragon for a good price and I think this will become the new knife in my parents houshold.

Is this because he already prefers a long knife?
Yes exactly. He always felt comfortable using bigger blades but has aquired lots of junk over the past few years lacking a decent knife now. As we talked recently he told me that he wants something better and bigger again :).

Just going to state the obvious, but Misono Dragon is not stainless. But it should tick all the other boxes. May need a little work on the grind, but it is a decent knife and not hard to sharpen

We just gave 240 Kaeru SLad to our employees - they all loved it and it’s below 200 USD - and practical

I also ordered the Kaeru workhorse - it’s 250 or so -but it’s iron clad so needs maintaining

but for the price quality ratio - you can’t beat these

Back