Polishing block

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made a hand-held block to hold sandpaper whilst polishing blades.
A heavy brass drawer(?)-pull screwed into a 7cm x 2cm x 2cm block of scrap wood that I oiled and waxed since I sometimes sand with water.
A bit of a pain to snap the rubber band in place but otherwise it works really well. No sanding streaks when polishing over logos/blade markings.
If I had to do it again I'd prolly cut the dimensions to 5x2x2.
pol1.jpg
pol2.jpg
pol3.jpg

nice! very handy

I use a piece of wood with roughly the same dimensions but taller (instead of the brass thingy I just hold onto the wood, but this is much better). And when polishing convex knives at 45 degrees I add a thin foam layer between the block and the sandpaper (helps hitting all the convex surface)

I just use a rubber sanding block with a piece of foam between the block and paper. I also made a jig to hold the knife steady so I can use both hands to sand. It’s just a pice if 2x4 with a notch cut out, cut piece screwed to the end as a backstop, then pieces of shim to hold the knife in place.
FD269E93-CFC3-4F3A-8FE2-E4AC771457F7.jpeg
F9C47996-0C08-438C-8F1A-E184F91B22D8.jpeg

I just use a rubber sanding block with a piece of foam between the block and paper. I also made a jig to hold the knife steady so I can use both hands to sand. It’s just a piece if 2x4 with a notch cut out, cut piece screwed to the end as a backstop, then pieces of shim to hold the knife in place.
I like your sink bridge setup.

Last edited:
Nice, if you wanted to improve on the rubber band Saw kerfs in each end with wedges is a good way to hold the paper - and pushing in the wedges tensions the paper

Back