Poll: Are high end knives = high end cookware?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't feel like I line up neatly with your categories here, but definitely on the more frugal side for both knives and (moreso) cookwear. I've so far kept my knife purchases to the sub-$200 range and will likely keep it that way for a while (well, unless I cave and buy a Toyanabe) but feel like there's enough performance and variety in that range to be fun to explore.

Similarly, I don't have any high end cookware but feel like I have a very versatile collection for not much money. I use mostly Tramontina pots and pans, cheap nonstick, vintage cast iron, and a set of off-brand enameled cast iron pots my better half picked up for next to nothing at a garage sale. I have a Matfer Bourgeat carbon steel pan that I rarely use and have never managed to get good, consistent seasoning on (despite never having issues with my cast iron). If money were no object I'd surely pick up some artisan-made pans, LC, etc... but it is so I stick to the budget end price/quality sweet spot. I guess using nice pans and whatnot doesn't give the same tactile satisfaction as using a screaming sharp, well-ground knife.

Who "maintains" a copper pan and who "maintains" a carbon knife?
I used to get my copper pans re-tinned when needed, but my go-to tinner closed years ago—now they are resigned to being pretty objects in the kitchen. Although, my copper Tarte Tatin pan still has its lining in tact, and gets used.

It's all subjective, although I will say that you are likely to more easily and quickly be able to get some (or more money depending on the knife) when you change or upgrade.

Also, high end knives are also subjective and I don't consider $250+ high end...maybe $500+.

sure, but $250 imo is about the max highest end general consumer knife cost when on sale (kramer damascus line, for example). but you're right, the line is arbitrary.

So, where's the poll?? Would be fun to have an actual poll. :)

While I know more about cookware than knives, I do think that there is a similarity: more expensive products are not always 'better'. On another forum I engage with a retired American chef who used to work in 3* Michelin places in Europe. He always brags how they used Victorinox knives, Matfer carbon steel pans, and cheapo nonstick pans all the time. Copper cookware would be just for decoration.

To answer the question: I want the best products and while I do have a somewhat large budget I will often gravitate towards best bang for buck items. So in cookware I have pans ranging from cheap carbon steel to expensive copper Mauviel. In knives I'm giving myself a limit of say 450 euro for a single knife. Ultimately I'm a home cook wanting to get my hands dirty, and not a collector!

sorry, pole is left in my ex gf's apartment :).

I agree with you that you don't even need a $150 pot to do a great dish, but i have a few where I want to cover my butt. I prefer to do duck breasts in my demeyere profile vs cast iron, even if both can do same crust. I just want to make sure I get as even heat as possible. my bolognese goes into my super expensive pan.. a bit overkill. well, ALOT overkill, but I justified it by selling 8-10 other pots i had new or little used, so I look at it as a win.

I'm having a silver-lined copper skillet hand made in Italy.

mazzetti? pricey but superb quality.

You forgot a key target audience option.
6. Middle 'bang for buck' knifewear and cookware.
I usually shoot for best for my dollar. I don't go to extremes in any one direction. I'm not one to pay 100% more for 10% the performance increase.

With that said, I'm outfitting my kitchen for use and not a hobby. If it has no use, I don't buy it. I still buy plenty of expensive stuff, but I usually shop sales and can justify the price because of performance or longevity increase.

I would never trade my 14" staub dutch oven for any high-end knife.

Interesting thread. When I think high-end, I think only found in specialty stores or direct from the maker. I love my LC, but I put it roughly at Shun on the high end spectrum. I feel that cookware is at a higher price point than cutlery for similar quality.

Heh, you’ve gone off the deep end, sir.

I can feel the performance advantage in a high end knife. There’s probably (maybe) some very slight performance advantage in high end pans, but it’s not worth the expense to me. My pans are Farberware, Tramontina, Emerilware, Lodge, noname stainless, noname enameled Dutch oven, and one de Buyer carbon skillet.

That said, I have a Vitamix, Thermapen, sous vide machine, $200 coffee grinder, Breville toaster oven, etc.. because those things are worth the freakin money. (Except maybe the Breville oven, which struggles to toast bread. Oh well.)

Depends for me. For now, I could care less about pots or pans. I'll pump money into appliances that need it (Vitamix/kitchenaid) but things like rice cookers or fermentation supplies are def budget for me. I feel like it all depends on usage.

Just can't get excited about pots and pans. Now if they were differentially hardened and water quenched I'd be more impressed.

I should get a new rice cooker. The coating on mine is coming off and probably chemicals are leaching into my brain or something. Don’t tell ma_sha.
DuPont says you're fine. ☠☠☠

Who "maintains" a copper pan and who "maintains" a carbon knife?

The user, as you'd expect. Do you put any of your carbon-steel knives into the dishwasher? Or do you keep them dry and clean of rust?

I have no idea if a silver-lined skillet would be dishwasher-safe. I'm guessing no.

I feel like pans are inherently less delicate things. You're going to burn ****, you're going to toss them a little hard onto the stove, you're going to put them on top a burning flame. Therefore I think all clad, which I think is ugly as sin, is pretty damn good for most tasks, especially the copper core. I have an old french copper saucier, do enjoy it. Enjoy my enamel cast iron. But for the most part I think stainless steel and carbon/cast iron durability is the way to go.

...That said if I had the money, and the kitchen, I totally would hang a set of copper pans from racks above the stove, purely for decorative effect.

Home cook. High end knives & high end everything else that I can afford.
imagine that in a pro environment only your knives travel with you? So maybe that’s how it became the most important
Probably nailed it.

To me, I feel like knives have a major impact on your workflow while cookware mainly improves on consistency.

Im in the mid range knives&cookware and see no reason to "need" to upgrade for quite awhile. I like to use my things instead of them becoming decorations. However I do eventually plan to dip into some nice high end things as budget permits.
I currently have knives ranging up to $350 and some all clads, a hand-me down Le Creuset, lodge cast iron, vitamix, kitchenaid, and some other no name pots and pans.

#1 for me. Not that I have super expensive knives but I have around a dozen that average around $500. Never felt the urge to spend big money on cookware and all I've got in the apt now is a tramontina set from walmart, lodge cast iron pan, baking steel griddle and my go-to carbon steel wok. I do have a vitamix and cockoo IH ricecooker so those are a bit pricy but I think of those as appliances, not cookware.

To each their own value system.
I like the artisan aspect of some makers. Price isn’t always the only gauge of quality or effort - though frequently it is.
Black swan handmade charges for a spoon what an entire pot would cost.

I've got Demeyre Atlantis, Mauviel m'cooks and carbon steel (m'steel), Staub for dutch oven, lodge cast iron, baumalu copper in the lineup, no full sets as I've just collected these over time. I like pretty cookware...

I realize the irony of saying this next statement while having all mass-produced (zwilling owned) cookware but there's something about all-clad that is a bit to ubiquitous to me (the globals/shuns of the cookware world). Though I do have one of all-clads chinese made non-sticks.

#1 for me. Not that I have super expensive knives but I have around a dozen that average around $500. Never felt the urge to spend big money on cookware and all I've got in the apt now is a tramontina set from walmart, lodge cast iron pan, baking steel griddle and my go-to carbon steel wok. I do have a vitamix and cockoo IH ricecooker so those are a bit pricy but I think of those as appliances, not cookware.
Good rice cooker > everything.

Back