POLL: How much is a Jiro Nakagawa gyuto worth to you?

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by DitmasPork, Aug 20, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

?

POLL: How much is a 240 Jiro Nakagawa Yo gyuto worth to you?

Poll closed Sep 1, 2019.
  1. Less than $250

15 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. $250–$450

35 vote(s)
    50.7%
  3. $450–$650

9 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. $650–$850

10 vote(s)
    14.5%
  5. More than $850

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 20, 2019 #31

Carl Kotte

Carl Kotte

Carl Kotte

I would give three quarters of a soul for a Jiro, not more.

2. Aug 20, 2019 #32

Barmoley

Barmoley

Barmoley

Supporting Member

So true. $650 buys a lot, some of which are proven, high quality knives by well known and respected makers. Again, more power to him or the retailer for being able to sell within seconds at these prices, I don't get it, but who cares. Looking forward for more reviews.

3. Aug 20, 2019 #33

Gregmega

Gregmega

Gregmega

Had a convo with them, after they raised the prices of all their knives on the site -including the ones already sold- they said they’re having trouble competing with local partners as they ship world wide and take a hit. So there will be no ‘wholesale in Japan purchase price’ as they’re only selling through their official retailers abroad. FYI they raised the prices from 780 to 830, retroactively making it look like all the knives already sold into the market were sold at a higher price.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  4. Aug 20, 2019 #34

McMan

McMan

McMan

What’s interesting to me is that Hitohira generally has good prices. Some of their TF in blue were charitably priced...

I see the Jiro as being marketed as an insta-classic. It may well be a wonderful knife; but only time will tell. Seems like a savvy move by Hitohira to price it high when so much of their other stuff is priced lower. In other words, since they don’t have a record of price-gouging across the board, the high price for Jiro might seem reasonable (?).

5. Aug 20, 2019 #35
    Basically an unknown maker around here. The only things that catches the eye are (for a Japanese maker) unusual dimensions. The knife has a rough finish with a rudimentary kasumi finish (or so is my online impression). It may well become the next Kato, but is not there yet. And Kato was cheaper few years back. $300 - $400 for a WA handle option would sound about right (in EU after taxes). It does not make any higher value impression than a Mazaki. And I am yet to get convinced about the grind. I actually think that this kind of a too early hype may do disservice to him as a young maker if he looks to keep improving.

I may be all wrong (would not be for the time), but this is my current opinion based on the little information available so far

hennyville and Carl Kotte like this.
  6. Aug 20, 2019 #36

Midsummer

Midsummer

Midsummer

Supporting Member

It really depends upon when I think they are going to retire.

7. Aug 20, 2019 #37

Corradobrit1

Corradobrit1

Corradobrit1

That reputation can quickly evaporate as it has for JNS

never mind and bahamaroot like this.
  8. Aug 20, 2019 #38

McMan

McMan

McMan

Yeah, that’s a good point. I hope it’s not the case anytime soon. There are a few I want to try from Hitohira.

9. Aug 20, 2019 #39

DitmasPork

DitmasPork

DitmasPork

What do you mean by this?

Matus likes this.
  10. Aug 20, 2019 #40

DitmasPork

DitmasPork

DitmasPork

Only vendors I'm aware of carrying Jiro are Hitohira, Tosho and Carbon Knife, are there other's?

11. Aug 20, 2019 #41

Barclid

Barclid

Barclid

You have to understand that Hitohira has no way of surviving as a business without taking a margin and his vendors have no way of surviving as a business without taking a margin. There are many ways you can divvy up margins between wholesale distributor, retailer and craftsmen. If you have a wholesaler who wanted, for instance, to get 50% GP on items that he's selling to his vendors and then the vendors wanted 50% GP then you have a total margin of 75% GP from the price requested by the craftsman. For a totally new craftsman with no established vendor pricing and solely managed by Hitohira, he can gather whatever margin he wants in whatever way he sees fit as long as the market will sustain it. So theoretically you can have a knife that Jiro is charging Hitohira $150 for being sold at $600 through successive lines of markup.

I just want to be clear that I'm not trying to insinuate that this is the case, just saying that this system inherently leads to higher prices since all parties want to make a profit for their business. Wholesale margin could be much lower and retail margin could be lower as well. Just something to think about.

Xenif, bryan03 and DitmasPork like this.
  12. Aug 20, 2019 #42

McMan

McMan

McMan

Tosho (and Ai and Om, Strata, and a few others) are Hitohira vendors (“partners”).

DitmasPork likes this.
  13. Aug 20, 2019 #43

parbaked

parbaked

parbaked

14. Aug 21, 2019 #44

MarkC

MarkC

MarkC

As a new member would like some more info on this as well.

15. Aug 21, 2019 #45

Cyrilix

Cyrilix

Cyrilix

I kind of have the same feeling as Barmoley. Had a look at the knife, not enough information out there, and what was out there didn't really resonate with me. $650 pretty much buys you anything except Shig, Kato, Hinoura River Jump, and Honyaki. It will buy most knives from Western makers too if you're patient enough. It will buy all variants of Konosuke Fujiyama except the limited edition or out of production ones, mostly anything coming out of Echizen, etc. When I think about makers that really get me interested, I think about the ones that are extremely passionate about their tools like Marko Tsourkan. Their demonstrated love for their craft is something I can see and something where I can say, that's worth a premium price ($400-1000).

16. Aug 21, 2019 #46

panda

panda

panda

O.G. Supporting Member

it looks like a zakuri

hennyville likes this.
  17. Aug 21, 2019 #47

bahamaroot

bahamaroot

bahamaroot

Not me. I can't say I'd give $400 for one at this point.

18. Aug 21, 2019 #48

lemeneid

lemeneid

lemeneid

TFTFTFTFTF

But but but... think of how much it will be worth in 5 years when the hype goes into overdrive :D;)

DitmasPork likes this.
  19. Aug 21, 2019 #49

DitmasPork

DitmasPork

DitmasPork

I’ve always been happy with the knives and service from JNS.

daveb likes this.
  20. Aug 21, 2019 #50

captaincaed

captaincaed

captaincaed

I think high prices equate with attention to detail in either performance or finish details. At least for me. e.g. I'm willing to accept TF warts for the steel and werewolf cutting feel.

Jiro doesn't seem like a high polish type girl. But it first have a very distinctive look, I admit. If people who buy it are happy with the purchase, that matter.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  21. Aug 21, 2019 #51

idemhj

idemhj

idemhj

Being Danish, I’m only interested in buying Manhattan or Puerto Rico... :confused:

22. Aug 21, 2019 #52

MarkC

MarkC

MarkC

Really thoughtful reply here.

23. Aug 21, 2019 #53

Gregmega

Gregmega

Gregmega

Well that’s the best sales pitch I’ve heard yet for TF, and I think I’ve heard them all- werewolf cutting feel- maybe it’s time to get a denka TFTFTFTFTF. @lemenaid

jonnachang and ThinMan like this.
  24. Aug 21, 2019 #54

chinacats

chinacats

chinacats

time to get a denka and hope you don't get one of the ****** ones that need a ton of thinning;)

...one more case of overpriced pos...or you can spend another hundred or so and have someone make it into something worth keeping (or put in the time and stone damage yourself)...tftftf:)

25. Aug 21, 2019 #55

Corradobrit1

Corradobrit1

Corradobrit1

No chonkiness with the factory grind of my Denka. TFTFTFTF

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

26. Aug 21, 2019 #56

chinacats

chinacats

chinacats

oh yeah, you can get a good one or a pos and at that price range i don't understand rolling the dice and coming up w craps... then trying to unload it on bst...tftfpos...;)...at least buy a Shig and have a decent idea what you'll get...btw, is that a factory grind or a return that they thinned and resold? i only ask because there is so much variation w these that there really is no telling...and pretty sure they don't just toss the returned blades...not that it matters;)

...as to jiro, I'm w panda...overpriced zakuri

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    hennyville likes this.
  27. Aug 21, 2019 #57

Corradobrit1

Corradobrit1

Corradobrit1

Nope. Personally selected by me remotely knowing complete specs (weight, edge length, height) and receiving multiple photos of the knife from Gaku at the TF shop in Tokyo. There really should be no reason to receive a chonky one if the right questions are asked, you're patient and know what you want. YMMV TFTFTF FTW

28. Aug 21, 2019 #58

chinacats

chinacats

chinacats

ymmv... others have followed the same process and wound up w chunky blades...and how do you know it wasn't a previously returned blade?

29. Aug 21, 2019 #59

Corradobrit1

Corradobrit1

Corradobrit1

Very few guarantees in this world. I had a long enough communication with Gaku over many months about this knife, a Mab Ku petty I ended up buying and knife-making in general to have confidence in this purchase. I lost count of the number of emails that were exchanged but well over 100 between me, Gaku, and TF himself.

30. Aug 21, 2019 #60

panda

panda

panda

O.G. Supporting Member

jim, a maboroshi is worth it just for the steel alone..

CiderBear likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.