Sous Vide Pork belly time and temperature?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm still experimenting with sous vide and still have a lot to learn. How do you guys make your pork bellies? I want it extremely tender but not readily falling apart, I was thinking 70 degrees celsius for 24 hours. What do you guys?

70 is high for me; see here for some test results; Varkensbuik sous vide tijd en temperatuur

I prefer low temperature but also found that you need to dunk the piece in boiling water to get rid of surface bacteria that otherwise can cause whiff of smelliness when opened.
That's a good tip, I'll keep that in mind. I don't want to cook it for longer than 24 hours though so I'll see what I'll go with :D

sounds like a great plan, reminder to self; get some Iberico from the freezer to make twice cooked pork, making the first cook an improvised sous vide...

It can make a ton of difference on tough cuts with a lot of collagen. Compare 24 to 48 hour short ribs cooked at the same temperature.

24hr:

48hr:

which reminds me to test the new sous vide stick....taking out some Iberico meat from the freezer to become twice cooked pork on Friday :p

So this took a lot longer than expected haha. I got too busy and didn't have time to do it on the weekend. Since I had more time I did it for much longer and slower
I first dry brined it with a very basic seasoning, and added some charred fresh rosemary sprigs for some smokiness. I vacuum packed it and let it marinade for 24 hours.
IMG_20201003_225658.jpg

I then cooked it on 58C/136.5F for 55 hours. I wanted to do it for 50 but was late in coming back home.
Once it was done I chilled it pressed between two metal trays for 24 hours.
The pork was glazed with a basic sweet soy glaze and I served it with a celeriac puree with miso and fermented yuzu. The picture was just a test piece so don't expect any good photography, but goddamn this is the best pork I've ever had! Its stupid tender and the puree works amazingly well with it and the glaze.
IMG_20201008_165811__01.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20201003_225658.jpg
    IMG_20201003_225658.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20201008_165811.jpg
    IMG_20201008_165811.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Back