Quantcast

Recipe Requested Pork Belly

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

valgard

Stones Addict (terminal case)
Reaction score
Palm sugar, fish sauce, shallots, garlic, black pepper, water.
Sautee the aromatics, add the other stuff, mix well, cook on low heat for about 40 min and up the heat if needed to make the sauce very thick. I wing the proportions but roughly 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup of fish sauce for a couple pounds of pork belly.

Sometimes I wear the pork belly cubes first and use that same fat that renders to saute the aromatics.

I eat it with Jazmine rice and garnish with cilantro and green onions.

Michi

I'm having a status just so I don't have no status
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For really crispy skin, leave the pork belly skin-side up uncovered in the fridge for a day or two. Dry skin crisps up much better.

MarcelNL

professional blame taker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hui Guo Rou or twice cooked pork, Sichuan style using Pixian Doubanjian (fermented chili with broad beans) and fermented black beans...cook the belly in one piece for approx 20 min ( I throw some star anise black pepper corns and other flavoring according to the form of the day into the water) let cool down completely. (the colder it is the easier you can cut thin slices).

a recipe is here: Twice-cooked pork, the fast version (回锅肉) though I like a different brand of Pixian Douban better, this one from the brand 'greenhouse' Greenfood Pixian Bean Sauce 454g / 鹃城牌 郫县豆瓣酱 454克 | Amazing Oriental

I usually get rid of much of the rendered fat after stir frying the pork, save it for later.

Doing a version of it now, with some Iberico pork neck in the sous vide. To be finished Friday.

Last edited:

Delat

Reaction score
For really crispy skin, leave the pork belly skin-side up uncovered in the fridge for a day or two. Dry skin crisps up much better.
While you’re doing that, it also helps to salt the skin and periodically dry it with a paper towel as you see moisture coming to the surface. Great-looking recipes posted above and I look forward to trying them!

I love pork belly and make it a few different ways.

You can just do the classic dry roast in the oven with salt, pepper, garlic/onion powder. Basically a texas brisket rub. Tons of recipes online for that style and super simple. I think I do something like an hour at 350, then drop to 300 for 3 hours, then finish under the broiler to crisp the skin. Some recipes reverse that, starting off with crisping the skin instead.

If you like gravy/sauce, I love this recipe: Emeril's New Orleans' Asian-Style Braised Pork Belly

For the above, I also like to take some leftovers and wok them up with vinegar, brown sugar, extra pepper, and smoked sesame oil. It caramelizes and crisps up the meat and gives it a different character from the soft braise.

Just recently I made pork belly burnt ends, but in the oven instead of the smoker. I glazed them at the end with a mixture of maple syrup, scotch bonnet pepper sauce, vinegar, and salt. Lots of recipes out there as well for this, I just grabbed a random one to give me rough cooking time & temp. I think I did something like 350 for an hour then 275 for 3 more hours. Reminds me I should post a pic over in the what’s cooking thread.

daveb

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderators
Reaction score
Pictures are gone but I'm not sure I've had better pork belly than the one described here.

ian

Refined, yet toothy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do the twice cooked pork. Nothing better.

MarcelNL

professional blame taker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chasu sounds very similar to Char Siu (Honey, Soy, Hoisin etc glazed pork that goes red-ish, also a favorite here and probably more accessible for newcomers to Chinese food than the Sichuan twice cooked pork.

AT5760

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the suggestions! I started a batch of twice cooked pork this morning. I'll let you know how it turns out tonight.

luuogle

Reaction score
Pork belly cut into slices and stir-fried with green onions. Glazed with soy sauce and oyster sauce. Served with rice on the side.

Rangen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really enjoy braised pork belly. You can find recipes online by searching for Chairman Mao's favorite pork belly. I use the one from Fuchsia Dunlop's Hunan cookbook.