Sous Vide Pork loin temperature?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find 135 to be the best but it's matter of taste.

There is a trick we use in restaurant in order to get results as good as if the meat has been done in a oven:
We run our sous-vide gear at 147-148 degrees F.
This is much hotter than what we need BUT the trick is to use it with a timer.
For a 200 g piece of loin you should hit 135 core temperature in about 8 minutes.

I find 135 to be the best but it's matter of taste.

There is a trick we use in restaurant in order to get results as good as if the meat has been done in a oven:
We run our sous-vide gear at 147-148 degrees F.
This is much hotter than what we need BUT the trick is to use it with a timer.
For a 200 g piece of loin you should hit 135 core temperature in about 8 minutes.

What's the reason behind that? The meat has a gradient of doneness that reminds customers of a more "traditional" cook?

Doesn't that largely defeat the purpose of SV?

I like it at 140F because that gives me leeway on timing, don't have to worry about overcooking. Quick sear and its golden.

Doesn't that largely defeat the purpose of SV?

I like it at 140F because that gives me leeway on timing, don't have to worry about overcooking. Quick sear and its golden.

People do this with eggs to imitate the texture of traditionally soft boiled eggs. Kind of funny to see people using them as water ovens now but makes sense to me.

What's the reason behind that? The meat has a gradient of doneness that reminds customers of a more "traditional" cook?
SV with timer is like the best of both world for tender meat.
It gives a better texture, closer to what you get in an oven, done perfectly.
SV is not "better" for most tender meat. It is is just easier!
And actually it is possible to "overcook" meat SV, even at 135.

I don't know if you can find venison loin but 130 over say one hour and you will get a liver texture. Duck breast is similar. Idem with lamb.
Naturally these are extreme examples.

For some cuts I would even steam them at 190 for 1-3 minutes, then SV at 147-150 with timer and then let rest in a warm place.

I'd say, just try! ;)

Did one last night at 145 and it came out tender and juicy. I think that is a high as I would ever go though.

Last edited:
I prefer 139F and then sear in a scorching hot cast iron pan. This gives a good balance between texture and moisture on the inside (wife is not a fan of the slick texture of rare pork), and a nice crust on the outside.

Back