Possibly end of an era..... Kiyoshi Kato Retired

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For anyone who comes along and feels FOMO because they cant afford secondhand prices but actually wants to use the knife (zero tears for the collectors, there are other pieces to collect) I just want you to know you're not missing out on much tbh.

They're good knives, great even, but you have other choices that are just as good for reasonable prices.

Signed,
A person whose favorite knife used to be his 240 WH, but now has other knives he thinks are better.

For anyone who comes along and feels FOMO because they cant afford secondhand prices but actually wants to use the knife (zero tears for the collectors, there are other pieces to collect) I just want you to know you're not missing out on much tbh.

They're good knives, great even, but you have other choices that are just as good for reasonable prices.

Signed,
A person whose favorite knife used to be his 240 WH, but now has other knives he thinks are better.

I am definitely happy I've had my hands on a couple. Changed my perception on what "heftier" knives could feel like through product and in use. I remember passing on a handful of these when they were $350-400. Back then was too rich for my blood.

I am definitely happy I've had my hands on a couple. Changed my perception on what "heftier" knives could feel like through product and in use. I remember passing on a handful of these when they were $350-400. Back then was too rich for my blood.
Hindsight is golden. I passed up a western handle Kato from JNS for $550—went for the wa version instead, simply because I didn’t have any wa handled knives. Kato was my first wa.

Hindsight is golden. I passed up a western handle Kato from JNS for $550—went for the wa version instead, simply because I didn’t have any wa handled knives. Kato was my first wa.

OMG i remember when the westerns first popped up. I looked at them and said, i could almost by two ($300) Fujiyamas with that! Oh how times have changed.

OMG i remember when the westerns first popped up. I looked at them and said, i could almost by two ($300) Fujiyamas with that! Oh how times have changed.
Admittedly, it was Maxim’s description of the Kato WH on the JNS site that hooked me—I’d never heard of Kato, except for a KKF thread.

I wanted to see what Kato’s knives looked like so I search the internet a bit. I came accros this website. https://www.savorypromo.com/h-k-kiyoshi-kato-240mm-gyuto-aogami-2-kurouchi-ho/. This cannot be right! There seems to va allot of people ordering them according to the pop ups.

I figure, if it sounds to goo do be true…
Scam.
...although that 300mm Shigefusa yanagi for under a hundred looks tasty.
https://www.savorypromo.com/bernal-cutlery-shigefusa-kasumi-300mm-yanagi-w-saya/

Kato’s workhorse pretty much responsible for putting the ‘workhorse’ onto every J-knife obsessed cook’s radar, influencing a lot of makers along the way. 🐎 Love Kato workhorses.

Kato’s workhorse pretty much responsible for putting the ‘workhorse’ onto every J-knife obsessed cook’s radar, influencing a lot of makers along the way. 🐎 Love Kato workhorses.
Especially the oversized 210 for the home kitchen. Perfect profile for me too.

IMG_0526.jpeg
🙄

Sorry I never got to try one, but I’m not sure how much I missed out on. There’s TONS of amazing makers out there and I feel like the list is growing and everyone is getting better every day. I recently paid $1k for a knife and honestly, I don’t think I’ll every pay more than that.

Who's the next oldest great that I should try before they retire?

Sorry I never got to try one, but I’m not sure how much I missed out on. There’s TONS of amazing makers out there and I feel like the list is growing and everyone is getting better every day. I recently paid $1k for a knife and honestly, I don’t think I’ll every pay more than that.

Who's the next oldest great that I should try before they retire?
Toyama before he retires around 40th millennium

Last edited:
Toyama is not a person but a brand made by Mazaki for Watanabe sold to JNS.....

And just because....
AvkoUdh.jpg
Toyama, Kato are just few pseudonym used by an immortal black smith, he also goes by the Hephaestus, Gan Jiang, Muramasa through out history, one day he will reveal his true self and lead humanity to forge the blade that shall conquer the cosmos.

Toyama, Kato are just few pseudonym used by an immortal black smith, he also goes by the Hephaestus, Gan Jiang, Muramasa through out history, one day he will reveal his true self and lead humanity to forge the blade that shall conquer the cosmos.
IMG-20220822-WA0003.jpg

Back