Main plate Potato Kugel

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michi

I dislike attempts to rewrite history
Reaction score
Potato Kugel is a Jewish dish traditionally eaten on various holidays. It's basically a richer take on Swiss Rösti, and contains eggs as well as fat. It's great as an alternative to potato as a side for various meals, but it's also delicious as the main dish, with a few extra bits on the side, such as cold cuts, fish, poultry, left-over roast, or pretty much anything you fancy. It also makes a fine addition to a hot breakfast (instead of hash browns).
IMG_3604.jpg

Ingredients:
  • 1.8 kg (4 lb) russet potatoes
  • 1 large onion
  • 6 eggs
  • 140 g (150 ml or 10 US tbsp), plus an extra 2 tbsp duck fat
  • salt
  • ground black pepper
  • chives
Preparation:
  1. Beat the eggs until combined. Add a generous amount (around 1.5–2 tsp) of salt plus a generous amount of freshly ground pepper.
  2. Warm the duck fat so it is just melted. Do not let it get hot.
  3. Pre-heat a 12" cast iron skillet on the stove top. It should be a low frying temperature, not ripping hot.
  4. Pre-heat oven to 220 ºC (425 ºF).
  5. Grate the potatoes and onion. I used the grating disc on my food processor; it makes short work of the job.
  6. Pack the grated potatoes and onion into a dish towel, a decent handful at a time, and squeeze hard to get rid of as much liquid is possible. (I used a potato ricer instead; it allows me to put a lot of pressure onto the grated ingredients without having to muck and around with a dish towel.)
  7. Lightly beat the liquid (but only lukewarm) duck fat into the eggs, and combine with the grated potatoes and onion, tossing lightly so the egg and fat are evenly distributed.
  8. Add a little bit of fat to the skillet (just enough to lightly grease the bottom and sides) and fill it with the mixture. Do not press down too much, just put it in there, spread it out, and flatten the surface. (Too much pressure will destroy the texture of the dish.)
  9. Fry lightly on the stove top for 5–10 minutes, to get a little bit of browning on the bottom. (Be careful with the heat here; you want the bottom to brown a bit, not burn.)
  10. Drizzle another 2 tbsp of duck fat over the surface and put the skillet into the centre of the pre-heated oven. It should take 40–50 minutes for the mixture to cook through. Keep an eye on the colour and pull the skillet once you have a nicely browned surface.
Serve immediately with whatever else you fancy. Left-over Kugel freezes well and can be warmed up in a medium oven for a few minutes before serving.

Potato Kugel with gravlax, sour creme, and a salad:
IMG_3605.jpg

And for breakfast, with bacon and eggs:
IMG_3612.jpg

Last edited:
Looks tasty. Could one use butter as an alternative to duck fat?

I haven't tried. I suspect that nothing terrible would happen; I'm not 100% sure though that the butter might not burn. I'd try with a small batch in a small skillet first. Chicken fat would work well, too.

You could even use lard, but the taste might get a little too rich that way. I'd probably reduce the amount if substituting lard.

:haironfire:

Awesome... Potato rosti is beyond delicious. Yours look great! I'll have to give this a go

Depends what you’re serving it with. If butter, it traditionally would become a dairy dish, appropriate with fish or vegetables. This version (which most often would have used chicken fat) would accompany meat based meals.

I tried @Michi's recipe this evening.

DSC00148.jpg

DSC00165.jpg

Cooking notes:
  • I 'adjusted' (read: improvised 🤪) the quantities for a 10" skillet:
    • 4 medium/large potatoes
    • 2 onions (because I like onions)
    • 5 eggs
  • I used butter instead of duck fat. It was what I had around (@rob)!
  • I added garlic and sesame oil to the butter (in step 2 of @Michi's recipe)... I am a sucker for that sort of thing...
Yum yum! Very tasty. Next time I might use 4 eggs so it is a bit less eggy and closer to a rosti/fritter.

Thanks @Michi!

Yum! Verbatim or any substitutions?

Cut the duck fat in half...other than that verbatim. My mother’s side of the family is 100% Polish. Reminded me a lot of the potato pancakes I grew up with but much easier to serve than frying 3 or 4 at a time. It was always a make and eat as you go thing growing up. Next time I might try same recipe but split between my 12” and 10” cast irons to get thinner and more browned product. Again thanks for posting this.

@Luftmensch i used one onion this time but would likely try two next time.

Go for it! I did the 'one pot' cook.... next time I might try sauteing the onions first so that they caramelise. I tend to be very unimaginative when it comes to those bold flavours - caramelised onion, garlic and a dash of aromatic sesame oil. It is a strong base to build off!

I also had the same thought about thinning the potato mix out so that it would be crispier. I like that idea.

@Luftmensch how could it hurt to experiment.

😝 🤕

Michi
Made your kugel using duck fat.....wow was it good...
Thanks for recipe!
KJ

Thankyou Michi!

l substituted the duck fat for goose fat, and added a big sweet potato as I didn't have enough normal spuds in the house. . Reduced the egg amount too. Served it with crispy bacon and poached eggs.
C0905A80-B285-4855-9775-7B3A36D36919.jpeg

Last edited:
That's a keeper recipe for sure. Did it with chicken fat, was amazed just how much that chicken flavor came through, almost felt like I had snuck in some chicken base. Served mine with some red wine braised beets and shallots and some yogurt.

Back