Potentially unpleasant transaction ?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ma_sha1

Reaction score
I recently agreed to purchase a Tsukasa Hinoura KU gyuto listed as “conus”, which indicates to me that the price includes pp fees & shipping in the US.

After sending me the PayPal address, the seller asked me to pay by F&F. I did not feel comfortable, so I sent regular payment.

Seller then tried to convince me by indicating he has many IG friends, & asked for my IG account, which I did not respond. IG friends are not equivalent to friends & family IMHO.

Now the seller is asking me to pay additional to cover the shipping, this is not what the listing stated. The deal is starting to taste a bit sour, heading towards a potentially unpleasant transaction.

Has something like this happened to you? I.e. seller trying to get more out of the BST listing after the fact? What would you do if you are in my situation?

thanks!

Per BST Guidelines:
"Payments - Payments, via Paypal, are to be made under the "Goods and Services" option. Sellers are forbidden to request, or require, "Personal Payments" (aka "Gift" option) for items being sold."

Of course, private deals can be made, but you shouldn't be pressured into doing it just because the seller wants to save $15. Most people build the cost of shipping into the original price if its something that concerns them, thus preserving Paypal Buyer protections.

I've done transactions with F&F before on other forums. However, as stated in the BST rules (and Paypal terms), that is not allowed here.

If this were me, I would consider this to be too many red flags, and look elsewhere.

We have guidelines on the fees, but at the end of the day it is up to the seller and buyer to agree on the details.

Mod mode off:

It was not a particularly noble the seller to ask for F&F, but you knew this before you sent the payment. Instead of discussing this with the seller, you went ahead and payed for goods. Now you are surprised that the seller is not happy?

Bottom line - have a clear agreement with the seller on the payment and shipping before sending the payment.

Pas - no, you are not the first one to experience this.

Mod mode off:

It was not a particularly noble the seller to ask for F&F, but you knew this before you sent the payment. Instead of discussing this with the seller, you went ahead and payed for goods. Now you are surprised that the seller is not happy?

Fair point, I didn’t expect seller to be completely happy actually, as I said no to F&F, but I did expect the seller to stick to the deal posted.

Bottom line - have a clear agreement with the seller on the payment and shipping before sending the payment.
Exactly this. Best to get all the discussion out of the way before sending payment.

I recently agreed to purchase a Tsukasa Hinoura KU gyuto listed as “conus”, which indicates to me that the price includes pp fees & shipping in the US.

After sending me the PayPal address, the seller asked me to pay by F&F. I did not feel comfortable, so I sent regular payment.

Seller then tried to convince me by indicating he has many IG friends, & asked for my IG account, which I did not respond. IG friends are not equivalent to friends & family IMHO.

Now the seller is asking me to pay additional to cover the shipping, this is not what the listing stated. The deal is starting to taste a bit sour, heading towards a potentially unpleasant transaction.

Has something like this happened to you? I.e. seller trying to get more out of the BST listing after the fact? What would you do if you are in my situation?

thanks!

I don't understand why you are creating a thread when you could have easily continued the conversation with me instead of taking it publicly since we are still in negotiation. I only asked if you could send it by F&F, I was not demanding for you to which is why I gave you my Instagram showing the people who are on this forum also following me and vice versa for you to see I am active on this thread. I have sold other knives on this forum as well so there is truly no "red flag". If you want to walk away from the deal, that is perfectly fine, but there is no need to ignore me and turn around and make a post like this when you haven't had closure with me over this deal.

I am going to refund you the money since you are soured by the transaction.

I hope the best for you.

Edit: I just checked our private message, and you didn't even agree to the terms before you just sent the money and then said "no I can't do that". You didn't even give me a chance to respond to you not wanting to do F&F, you just sent the money.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I created thread because I was feeling uncomfortable, wanted to know how others handle it on this forum, since it’s the first time I run into seller raising the stake over the listing.

I expected seller to stick to deal listed, not ask buyer to pay shipping after listing stated “canus”.

Please do refund my payment, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back