Pots and pans UK edition

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s all percentage height to diameter.

Sauce pan 1h (height)—1d (diameter)

Sauté .5h—1d

Skillet .33h—1d and sidewalls slope

Stockpot 2h—1d

Maybe not exact, but conceptually correct.

Yup, all of this and more responsive to heat change than cast iron. Goldilocks pans! I prefer to stainless.

Hmm, maybe there is something wrong with my technique/usage. I have used cast iron and non-stick for ages - carbon steel is a relative newcomer in my life. So far the carbon steel has been pretty demanding maintenance wise: patina develops only to disappear, stickage is (at least sometimes) a real problem, and rust develops fast unless I am very careful.
Apart from that results are often good and I like using it (apart from its inconsistencies).

Oh I've found the actual paderno saucepans now, rather than the small saute pans. Whoops.

EDIT:"usually dispatched with 1 - 3 months" - huh

Hmm, maybe there is something wrong with my technique/usage. I have used cast iron and non-stick for ages - carbon steel is a relative newcomer in my life. So far the carbon steel has been pretty demanding maintenance wise: patina develops only to disappear, stickage is (at least sometimes) a real problem, and rust develops fast unless I am very careful.
Apart from that results are often good and I like using it (apart from its inconsistencies).
Carl, do you deglaze with wine or vinegar or cook with tomatoes? Any of those would discourage me from using carbon steel and send me running for the stainless steel.

Carl, do you deglaze with wine or vinegar or cook with tomatoes? Any of those would discourage me from using carbon steel and send me running for the stainless steel.

No, that is the thing: I have been very careful with acidic stuff so nothing of the sort ever gets into that pan. Must be something else. Thanks though!!!

Another issue is what size pan vs what size burner? carbon pans are better in mid-range sizes at home because the stove has small to mid size heating element...26cm debuyer will work great even on electric.

A huge steel pan like 32 cm on a small element (uneven distibution) used to cook small portions (uneven filling pan) will give you problems for a bunch of reasons (also heavy)...

Last edited:
I'm going to get the 28cm De Buyer frying pan, the 4 1/2 quart Paderno rondeau and the 3l and 1.5l Vogue saucepans.

Also, I usually use those pans when they’re pretty hot. I infrequently use soap and LIGHTLY oil after use.

Thanks, I have been sloppy with using - or not using - oil (no soap at all yet) after use. Maybe picking up that habit will change things for the better.

Worth checking out Forge kitchenware for the carbon pan.
https://www.alexpoleironwork.com/forge-kitchenware/
I have one of Alex’s 11” skillet and it’s great. Cost a bit more than a debuyer, but he’s having the pans hand spun and is forging and fitting the handles. All made in the Uk and so far it’s handled everything I’ve thrown at it excellently.

It’s all percentage height to diameter.

Sauce pan 1h (height)—1d (diameter)

Sauté .5h—1d

Skillet .33h—1d and sidewalls slope

Stockpot 2h—1d

Maybe not exact, but conceptually correct.
Thought a picture or two would drive this point home

2C19447D-46D9-4D28-8337-D0E28CCF039F.jpeg
8E9C7D3A-DFDF-49D8-8D11-4704EA767BE7.jpeg

Thanks, I have been sloppy with using - or not using - oil (no soap at all yet) after use. Maybe picking up that habit will change things for the better.
America's test kitchen has a great method for seasoning carbon steel pans. Go watch their YouTube video on carbon steel pans and try it out. Works like a charm for me.

America's test kitchen has a great method for seasoning carbon steel pans. Go watch their YouTube video on carbon steel pans and try it out. Works like a charm for me.

How often do you do it? I followed the procedure demonstrated (or suffiently close to it) about a month ago, and I already experience problems.

I do it once. Then I just cook like normal, but being careful not to cook anything too acidic for the first few months. I don't wash with soap, and I don't scrape the pan really hard with metal tools. That's it. My carbon pans are all matte black and super slick now.

I do it once. Then I just cook like normal, but being careful not to cook anything too acidic for the first few months. I don't wash with soap, and I don't scrape the pan really hard with metal tools. That's it. My carbon pans are all matte black and super slick now.

Hmmm, I must be doing at least one thing wrong. But it is not the soap, and it is not the acids... To be continued.

Hmmm, I must be doing at least one thing wrong. But it is not the soap, and it is not the acids... To be continued.

Just a quick note here that you're not the only one. I have a DeBuyer crepe pan bought 6 months ago as my first carbon steel pan, and I haven't been happy with the seasoning. I don't have trouble with seasoning on my Lodge cast iron stuff, or my carbon steel woks. So I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong either. I'll jump on the other new thread about it and see what info I can pick up over there.

Just a quick note here that you're not the only one. I have a DeBuyer crepe pan bought 6 months ago as my first carbon steel pan, and I haven't been happy with the seasoning. I don't have trouble with seasoning on my Lodge cast iron stuff, or my carbon steel woks. So I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong either. I'll jump on the other new thread about it and see what info I can pick up over there.

That’s a relief [emoji23] - I mean it! See you in the other thread!

Those vogue saucepans I bought are brilliant by the way. Highly recommended to any UK based lads.

The Paderno pan is obviously lovely too, but that was a known quantity.

Back