- Dec 13, 2017
- Reaction score
I think the development of a vaccine has been expedited because:
- suddenly people are interested in science and willing to pour rivers of money into a problem they believe they can make money out of
- The deals going on behind the scene would probably boggle the mind. Countries are betting certain vaccines under development will work and have places orders for millions of doses.
- medical technology has advanced in the past 10-20 years
- scientists were studying similar viruses and problems before the pandemic
- Phase I studies are done on small numbers (~10s) of people to identify any major problem with safety and determine a safe dosage range.
- Phase II studies are done on mid-sized numbers (~10s-100s) of people to determine the efficacy of response and to further verify its safety.
- Phase III studies are done on large groups of patients (~100s-1000s) and compared to other standards of treatment. Again these studies are designed to determine the efficacy of response and monitory safety. Due to the larger number of participants rare but serious side effects might be observed. You can also increase your confidence that no adverse immune reactions are sparked (Immunopathology - like a cytokine storm) when patients are exposed to the virus .