Preparing for COVID-19

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I buy TP about once a year, in bulk. There were 2.5 deer in the freezers at our warehouse along with plenty of other stuff when people started to panic. Why would anyone buy rice & beans in less than 20 lb. sacks, you know you'll use it before it goes bad?

I didn't think this needed to be said, but there it is: some people live in a tiny apartment in the city. These people don't have a garage to store non-perishables like giant bags of rice and beans, and they sure do not have space for 2 chest freezers to store the entire cow they buy once a year.

We thought about buying a chest freezer in anticipation of a recent delivery of $200 worth of meat from a local farm, but then we remembered that $200 worth of meat from a local farm is like 5 cuts... also, the freezer would have had to go in our living room as an additional coffee table.

Thinking hard about how you COULD deal with even a partial breakdown of "just in time" supply, living in an ordinary apartment in typical city with minimal storage for more than a week or two worth of food.

I've been in Chinese cities, typical apartments in China don't have any more space. (I saw free ranging chickens in the yards of multi 10 story apartment building developments & people growing food on seasonaly exposed sandbars in the Liuyang river, but this couldn't be more than supplemental) How have the Chinese in lockdown managed the last couple of months?

i suspect many kkfers have already lived their whole lives in isolation so this doesnt really affect them so it would be way out of their scope to realize how much of a life change this is for the rest of us who live in the real world.
I do really miss the gym. Bout to figure out this yoga thing.

i suspect many kkfers have already lived their whole lives in isolation so this doesnt really affect them so it would be way out of their scope to realize how much of a life change this is for the rest of us who live in the real world.

I'm quite heavily introverted myself, but I have never lived in isolation. It does affect the balance of things.

Not to make light of the situation at hand, but this email I received actually made me laugh out loud. Terrible marketing at its finest.
The anti-bacterial effect is very important when combatting a viral disease…

Last edited:
Thinking hard about how you COULD deal with even a partial breakdown of "just in time" supply, living in an ordinary apartment in typical city with minimal storage for more than a week or two worth of food.

I've been in Chinese cities, typical apartments in China don't have any more space. (I saw free ranging chickens in the yards of multi 10 story apartment building developments & people growing food on seasonaly exposed sandbars in the Liuyang river, but this couldn't be more than supplemental) How have the Chinese in lockdown managed the last couple of months?

According to my Chinese coworkers: deliveries.

Taxi business has crashed here, so they have went into cahoots with the local grocery stores to start doing home deliveries.

There are many grocery delivery companies here in the United States. One of them ("Instacart") is apparently planning on hiring hundreds of thousands of drivers to meet the increasing demand for their services.

I have never used such a service before because I don't mind grocery shopping and would prefer to choose my own fruits and vegetables, but I broke down and placed an order through them this morning. Apparently these companies will usually deliver in a matter of hours, but the earliest option I could choose is this coming Friday night between 7:00-9:00pm!

It has been eight days since I was last out in public, and I'd rather postpone it a few more weeks if possible. Only now do I feel pretty confident that symptoms aren't just going to suddenly begin, so the idea of resetting that clock in my mind doesn't appeal.

Johnny I’m actually running the essential errands now, I figure it’s best to get out and do the things necessary now instead of in a month or 2. Would really like to spend the next couple of month's only at work or home.

One good thing coming out of this is that, with everyone bottled up, a lot more people will take an interest in cooking. (TV meals sort of get boring after a few weeks…)

We might end up with the world's average culinary skills lifted by 10 or 20 percent :)

This applies to myself

daily-lifestyle-is-actually-called-quarantine-above-images-of-the-nervous-monkey-looking-around.png

i
Neighbors placed instacart Tues pick up Sun at 4 pm. No record of order..
Amazon prime whole foods ??
It's been very difficult finding a time slot for Prime Now WF delivery, unfortunately. Stuff you add to the cart would go out of stock and get automatically removed from the cart (they get restocked everyday-ish though), then when you actually find a time slot (only today or tomorrow), exit out to add the things that got removed from your cart back, go to schedule delivery.... and no more time slot available.

If you are interested, PM me an I will send you a link to classes my wife is now teaching online. She is doing them for free through the end of the month.
Hey man, I appreciate that. But I’m a stubborn sort of person. I genuinely enjoy throwing away the instructional manuals. I’ll just roll around on my mat for a week or two until things start to make sense.

It's been very difficult finding a time slot for Prime Now WF delivery, unfortunately. Stuff you add to the cart would go out of stock and get automatically removed from the cart (they get restocked everyday-ish though), then when you actually find a time slot (only today or tomorrow), exit out to add the things that got removed from your cart back, go to schedule delivery.... and no more time slot available.
This same thing was happening to us the other day.

Hey man, I appreciate that. But I’m a stubborn sort of person. I genuinely enjoy throwing away the instructional manuals. I’ll just roll around on my mat for a week or two until things start to make sense.

I'm the same way. I can't do workout classes for the life of me (I ****ing hate it when people tell me to holdddddd you can do eeeet), and I can't stand pre-recorded workout videos with smiley sweaty people either.

My workout routine used to be 75 minutes of swimming on Tuesday and Thursday, and 90 minutes of gym (45 weight and 45 rowing) on MWF.

The gym at work (and work itself) and the public swimming pool has been closed, so I've been playing Ring Fit Adventure. It's surprisingly not bad. Instead of being annoyed at somebody telling me to go lower and hold my squats/ crunches, I do it myself to kill monsters. :D

Interesting aside: over half of cruise patrons that tested positive were asymptomatic.
This is not an aside, it is the main game.

The reason that this virus is so difficult to control is that asymptomatic people can pass it on. You don't know who is infectious unless you test almost everybody. And this virus is very contagious. This would not in itself be a problem (just like other human coronaviruses which cause the common cold are not a problem) except for the fact that about 20% get really crook (need oxygen hospital), 5% need ventilation or even more invasive ICU treatment and around 0.5 to 1% die, even with best management (which won't be possible at the peak of infection, so the death rate will be much higher, around 5% or more). It may be that there is a large reservior of asymptomatic people which would mean that the mortality and hospitalisation rates are somewhat lower. The downside if this is true is that it's even harder to control and the hospialisation and mortality rates are still completely unacceptable.

The reason that this virus is so difficult to control is that asymptomatic people can pass it on. You don't know who is infectious unless you test almost everybody. And this virus is very contagious. This would not in itself be a problem (just like other human coronaviruses which cause the common cold are not a problem) except for the fact that about 20% get really crook (need oxygen hospital), 5% need ventilation or even more invasive ICU treatment and around 0.5 to 1% die, even with best management (which won't be possible at the peak of infection, so the death rate will be much higher, around 5% or more). It may be that there is a large reservior of asymptomatic people which would mean that the mortality and hospitalisation rates are somewhat lower. The downside if this is true is that it's even harder to control and the hospialisation and mortality rates are still completely unacceptable.

Silver lining of this is that herd immunity will develop faster I guess.

The reason that this virus is so difficult to control is that asymptomatic people can pass it on. You don't know who is infectious unless you test almost everybody.

This is where the PPE shortage comes in... :(

This virus is still a bit immature in that regard, needs to evolve a bit more. I mean that a virus doesn't really want to kill it's hosts. It really wants it's hosts to spread as much as possible. This R0=2.x is a bit weak - if I were a virus and optimised my game, it would be more like R0=28.

Back