Preparing for COVID-19

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a somewhat technical write up of the treatments available with a lot of links. COVID-19: Clinical/Therapeutic Staging Proposal and Treatment - REBEL EM - Emergency Medicine Blog
COVID-19-Classification-600x337.png

I watched the first four minutes... until this part:

This prevented me from watching the rest - a pity if there was useful information in there. An 'expert' getting the definition of quarantine wrong, or communicating it that poorly, made me want to save my time. I can't comment on its content, I didn't have the energy to slug through it...

Did they totally gloss over the Spanish flu?

This timeline misses the fact that the virus has to have spread in US communally by early January at the latest as non travellers died in CA by early Feb (6th i believe). Many virus researchers are now saying this was likely spreading on the west coast by mid December at latest and ripping through NY by this time as well.

It also mixes obvious political claims...worse yet, quoting twitter as a source, lol...

Last edited:
I've only tried google--I know better but timelines that pop up are all pretty worthless. Info on first US death is 57 yo in Santa Clara county w no travel history (communal spread) dies 2/6. Avg time to death is 30 days from infection. "If" that person got it firsthand from traveller from China that still puts US community spread at early January. I'll try to find better source and post updated info...

Last edited:
This timeline misses the fact that the virus has to have spread in US communally by early January at the latest as non travellers died in CA by early Feb (6th i believe). Many virus researchers are now saying this was likely spreading on the west coast by mid December at latest and ripping through NY by this time as well.

It also mixes obvious political claims...worse yet, quoting twitter as a source, lol...

Agreed not perfect but if they keep the updates going it will get better.

Yes 1/14 should be left out.

I've only tried google--I know better but timelines that pop up are all pretty worthless. Info on first US death is 57 yo in Santa Clara county w no travel history (communal spread) dies 2/6. Avg time to death is 30 days from infection. "If" that person got it firsthand from traveller from China that still puts US community spread at early January. I'll try to find better source and post updated info...

The casualty in santa clara worked for a microchip company with all inevitable links to china you would guess. Its highly unlikely her case was not related to her work. ITs sort of a nuance if she didn't fly directly to China herself.

Much different to the first community spread cases in washinton state, IMHO

The casualty in santa clara worked for a microchip company with all inevitable links to china you would guess. Its highly unlikely her case was not related to her work. ITs sort of a nuance if she didn't fly directly to China herself.

Much different to the first community spread cases in washinton state, IMHO

Source? She was a manager at chip company which really tells nothing about her infection since these companies are all fairly large...and not necessarily dealing directly w anyone in China...

Last edited:
Holy F I can not believe this: Mayo Clinic to furlough or reduce pay of 30,000 employees

A state with fewer than 4,000 cases and fewer than 300 deaths. The cure is getting worse and worse.
Yeah, that's part of the issue, as we wait for hospitals to be overrun and elective surgeries, non essential tests, screenings, etc are put on hold many medical workers are actually loosing their jobs or large portions of their income. This is happening in CA too, a bunch of my friends who are anesthesiologist, dentists, orthodontists are in serious financial trouble while hospitals are empty and clinics and private practices are closed. Worse yet, screening for cancer and other very serious diseases are on hold too and who knows what the fallout of that will be. All in all as bad as the virus is the fallout from being scared of it is shaping up to be pretty bad too. There doesn't seem to be a good decision to make at the moment, whatever the government does they will be blamed for it, I am just glad I don't have to make these decisions.

yeah there is no aids vaccine. and never will be. they been at it since 1981 or so.

i wouldn't get my hope up for a corona vaccine. not this decade at least.

yeah there is no aids vaccine. and never will be. they been at it since 1981 or so.

i wouldn't get my hope up for a corona vaccine. not this decade at least.

Not getting hopes up but realistically part of the reason there is no vaccine for HIV/AIDS is because there is medication that keeps people from dying...and it can't spread through air...

That is nonsense.

what is? that there will never be an aids vaccine?
or that there wont be a corona vaccine?

-------------

it usually takes 10 years to develop a good vaccine if its possible for a particular virus. so do you want to take the hackjob vaccine?
please do and report back to us if its any good!

what is? that there will never be an aids vaccine?
or that there wont be a corona vaccine?

-------------

it usually takes 10 years to develop a good vaccine if its possible for a particular virus. so do you want to take the hackjob vaccine?
please do and report back to us if its any good!

You're correct about the usual timeline...need resources, science and luck to change that.

There are currently phase one trials all around the world...US started 3/17.

Last edited:
Source? She was a manager at chip company which really tells nothing about her infection since these companies are all fairly large...and not necessarily dealing directly w anyone in China...

She worked for LAM research HQ in Fremont, CA.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lam_Research
They are in the chip supply chain, they have critical links with microchip OEMs all around the world (large amounts of chips are OEMd in China)
The company markets its products and services primarily to companies involved in the production of semiconductors in the United States, Europe and Asia.[35]

Here's here autopsy report.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/file/607/2/6072-Dowd_Patricia_Cabello_-_Autopsy.pdf
She died of a heart-wall rupture associated with a "hardened" heart muscle wall.

Untitled Image-1.png

Line 207 says she didn't have any immune repsonse, which suggests (but doesn't prove) she was infected less than 2 weeks.

Untitled Image-2.png

The heart condition is assumed to be linked to the presence of Covid-19 but this is simply anecdotal / circumstantial and possibly co-incidence. That being said, its probably the best possible guess since she was sick enough to be in some distress and under medical care.

Untitled Image-3.png

Could easily be the straw that broke the camel's back. etc

Autopsy noted only "mild congestion", and therefore didn't die a typical Covid-19 death w/ hypoxia/hypoxeima and/or acute respiratory distess (SARS/ARDS) etc.

What i found scary was rna in lungs, heart, trachea and intestines...sounds like she was infested...thought this primarily took up residence in the lungs...

What i found scary was rna in lungs, heart, trachea and intestines...sounds like she was infested...thought this primarily took up residence in the lungs...

Agree. This virus is sketchy AF.

That is nonsense.

Matus - The WHO says there is ZERO evidence of successful (natural) immuno-supressive response. This means that there is LESS THAN ZERO evidence of a successful vaccine. :D

If there was less then zero chance of vaccine, then there would not be first clinical trials starting within weeks (some already started if I am not mistaken). Unless tests prove otherwise, I am remaining optimistic.

YALE recommending against deep-nose-swabs due to sample-collection-error risk. This links to the discussion we were having earlier about "sample" errors vs "technical erros" when it comes to results.

https://news.yale.edu/2020/04/24/saliva-samples-preferable-deep-nasal-swabs-testing-covid-19
The study led by the Yale School of Public Health — and conducted at Yale New Haven Hospital with 44 inpatients and 98 health care workers — found that saliva samples taken from just inside the mouth provided greater detection sensitivity and consistency throughout the course of an infection than the broadly recommended nasopharyngeal (NP) approach. The study also concluded that there was less variability in results with the self-sample collection of saliva.

Here's a standard kit w/instruction (NP swabs) for anyone currious...
https://health.ri.gov/publications/instructions/COVID-19-Specimen-Collection-Kit.pdf

Last edited:
If there was less then zero chance of vaccine, then there would not be first clinical trials starting within weeks (some already started if I am not mistaken). Unless tests prove otherwise, I am remaining optimistic.

Less than zero was a joke ;)

Its not impossibel to parallel track these studies to not create bottlenecks, but one has to remain cognizant of where all the moving pieces are.

If you do not have evidence of a successful natural imunity, creating artifical immunity is "one logical step" further removed from being "scientifically" proven.

You're correct about the usual timeline...need resources, science and luck to change that.

There are currently phase one trials all around the world...US started 3/17.

I'll throw in my two cents and open with the logical fallacy of appeal to authority by saying that I'm a lab manager and scientist in a laboratory that is interested in possible vaccine development. Not COVID-19 though we have people drafted into the current research by one of the labs we associate with.

My boss invited one of the leading researchers in one branch of our work to give a talk and our lab had really nice discussions with him. One thing we asked was about the potential funding of further research of our technologies by pharmaceutical companies for vaccines. He said that there was actually very little money or interest from the pharmaceutical sector because of the high failure rate of drug and vaccine testing. It takes a ton of time and money to first test in cell lines, then in animals, then in people, and then less than 2% of drugs that ever get tested in people get approved for use.

Obviously, there is a huge difference here what with COVID-19 having a huge worldwide effect (on both lives and the world economy). I see it kind of like the first guy that got penicillin, the first antibiotic. Albert Alexander was a reserve constable who scratched his face on a rose thorn and was about to die from the infection. They knew he was about to die, so they figured that he had nothing to lose in trying this untested drug. So in the same manner they appear to be rushing candidate vaccines through to human trials much quicker than would normally be considered.

Not getting hopes up but realistically part of the reason there is no vaccine for HIV/AIDS is because there is medication that keeps people from dying...and it can't spread through air...
The reason there is no vaccine for aids is there is more profit in treatment than a cure. What was the last vaccine for a virus that caused an incurable disease, Polio? And look how far medicine has evolved since then.

Back