Prettiest honyakis

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone mentioned Isasmedjan earlier, so I though I'd share what's going on with mine. Knivfluencer (on instagram) is polishing my Isa at the moment. There are some pics and movies in this Imgur. The final picture is from when he'd only cleaned the sides and done a test etch. Seems to be lots of nice alloy banding going on. I'll update the Imgur as I get more pics/movies.

that is impressive!
I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out. The knife will get a new handle from Jonas when it's done. Nathan (who's polishing) is very impressed with the knife. Think he wants one for himself after seeing mine.

To the best of my knowledge, Hiroshi Ashi never made damascus gyutos. Ittosai has worked with many different 'smiths over the years. I have a Shiraki honyaki from them, and they obviously had Ashi make some honyaki too. I believe Ikeda also made some for them, and I'm sure others as well. I'm fairly certain those are not Hiroshi Ashi blades; that said, someone please correct me if I am wrong!
Those two are definitely Ashi, that hamon style is unmistakable. And for the western style one, no one else makes western handle honyakis

Someone mentioned Isasmedjan earlier, so I though I'd share what's going on with mine.
Loving it!

Mine's been sitting on my desk since the day I received it from Elliot off BST. If it was polished like that, I'd get even less real work done!

Color of Magic.jpg

Wow the distal taper on Ashi is so good compared to recent honyakis from Sakai. Why are they so perfect in every aspect? I really hope I had started this hobby 10 years earlier.

Back