Pretty places

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Twin screws on a power boat make a big difference in control like backing into a slip.

They come in handy in very large following seas know that from experience coming across Molokai channel in stormy Gail force conditions. Twin GM diesels 53 foot wooden Houle Sampan. Charter boat days.

You live in a beautiful area. Kind of like Hawaii & New Zealand. You live in on that west coast subduction zone string of volcanos.

Mt. Baker from my front deck. Dormant volcano. Should make for a good show when it goes.

EBFDDC21-4BD4-4430-8816-13B492815A12.jpeg
38324779-FF71-4D5C-B4A8-AD34452601B7.jpeg

Beautiful my friend in Hawaii lived near Mt Saint Helens growing up.
IMG_20220203_185700387.jpg

This old photo helped my friend build this wooden catamaran. It was 22' from plans.
I had a Hobie 16 sailed that thing in all kinds of seas had mainsail & jib.

This craft we sailed around Oahu to test her sea worthy & handling. This was our first interisland got early start calmest day from Oahu to Lanai. You can see sun peaking over horizon just under the jib.

Janice & I really wanted to go to Alaska. I convinced her that a smaller boat would be better than a cruise ship.
IMG_20220203_204453904_HDR.jpg

Catalyst built in 1930's. Kayaking & hiking in wilderness. Cost little more than cruise ship but worth it. Great trip.
IMG_20220203_213348078_HDR.jpg

Of coarse I asked for your of engine room.

IMG_20220203_213518435_HDR.jpg

We ate well on that boat 12 paying costumers & 4 crew.
IMG_20220203_204734320.jpg

IMG_20220203_210629288.jpg

Kayaking under waterfalls.

IMG_20220203_211225132.jpg

Me & Janice after hiking up above the Catalyst in the green waters below. Yes it was brown bear country but we stayed together as a group.
IMG_20220203_211453180.jpg

IMG_20220203_205546140.jpg

IMG_20220203_205139378.jpg

Trying to catch 3 brown bears from a distance with my little canon point & shoot. Some birds flew into the frame.
IMG_20220203_210225900.jpg

IMG_20220203_210400521_HDR.jpg

These eagles would sit up in the trees fly down to the water & snatch fish with their talons.

Ok last Alaska trip pictures just stuffed in a drawer. Pulled some out.
IMG_20220203_232804909.jpg

IMG_20220203_232314494.jpg

Mother and daughter
IMG_20220203_232602907.jpg

In Hawaii the Humpback Whales come to birth, mate. Slapping flukes and jumping high out of the water. In summer they swim back to the North many in Alaska. Here they just feed tail going up before another dive.
IMG_20220203_210018901_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220203_233040208.jpg

This trip wasn't without some excitement. We motored into a glacier area they launched the zodiac you can see on left of stern.
They were going to take a group to a outlook to see glacier. As we approached the spot some heavy caving occured was watching it thinking what a nice wave it created bet you could surf that. As we were disembarking the wave wrapped around the point & water flowed over the Stern of zodiac. Had to act fast before was completely swamped. In the meantime more ice was dropping we had to get back to the boat. By the time the zodiac was secured the
Catalyst was in danger of getting iced in as large sheets of ice around it. Had to exit slowly with long poles on each side pushing away the ice. As I said it was a great trip. Alaska is a beautiful place.

There is a nice lake about 25 minutes from me, when the days get longer and warmer it is a favorite place for me to get away in the afternoon with my kayak. I usually have a good book, a fishing pole, and my camera with me and I just see what calls to me. Sometimes all three do. One of my favorite pastimes on this lake is chasing the birds around with my camera if they are about, herons being my favorites. Here are some shots.
blu1.jpg

blu2.jpg
heron2.jpg

There is a nice lake about 25 minutes from me, when the days get longer and warmer it is a favorite place for me to get away in the afternoon with my kayak. I usually have a good book, a fishing pole, and my camera with me and I just see what calls to me. Sometimes all three do. One of my favorite pastimes on this lake is chasing the birds around with my camera if they are about, herons being my favorites. Here are some shots.View attachment 164149
View attachment 164150View attachment 164151
Beautiful! What a wonderful place, stunning pics

Here is a lake on my Grandpa's land in Sweden, close to Fagerhult. This photo is from a few years ago, and he has since built our little deck into a pier with a little boat slip, and where the deck is, now he has put up a grill house. Hoping to get back to Sweden this summer to visit and do some more fishing, the perch in this lake haunt my dreams :)
20150714_131456.jpg

Here is a lake on my Grandpa's land in Sweden, close to Fagerhult. This photo is from a few years ago, and he has since built our little deck into a pier with a little boat slip, and where the deck is, now he has put up a grill house. Hoping to get back to Sweden this summer to visit and do some more fishing, the perch in this lake haunt my dreams :)
View attachment 164156

Now I almost asked "Fagerhult in Småland?" and then I checked the map... at least five places called Fagerhult just in the region of Småland. Not that weird,.... "Fager" means beautiful or pretty in Swedish, and "hult" comes from forest/lumber/woods. I grew up in that region. And "Småland" means "Small lands", describing the old small nation-like tribal lands that once was the borderlands between Denmark and Sweden. The place where neither king nor tax-collector dared go since there were not really appreciated at the time. And by "not really appreciated" I mean "killed upon sight" :)

I have surprisingly few photos of the region that show of its beauty, but here is one from the next region over to the north, Östergötland. This shows the lake Åsunden from a hill:

51305422414_1fe9845570_o.jpg

Edit: I guess I know which Fagerhult you mean, the only one which is big enough to be called a town. No worries. :)

Last edited:
Now I almost asked "Fagerhult in Småland?" and then I checked the map... at least five places called Fagerhult just in the region of Småland. Not that weird,.... "Fager" means beautiful or pretty in Swedish, and "hult" comes from forest/lumber/woods. I grew up in that region. And "Småland" means "Small lands", describing the old small nation-like tribal lands that once was the borderlands between Denmark and Sweden. The place where neither king nor tax-collector dared go since there were not really appreciated at the time. And by "not really appreciated" I mean "killed upon sight" :)

I have surprisingly few photos of the region that show of its beauty, but here is one from the next region over to the north, Östergötland. This shows the lake Åsunden from a hill:

View attachment 164171

Edit: I guess I know which Fagerhult you mean, the only one which is big enough to be called a town. No worries. :)
Ah my apologies, I'm not a very good Swede. I meant the Fagerhult closest to Kalmar. It's really not much of a town, but it has a butcher and an ICA so it's a town to me. Östergötland looks beautiful, making me miss Swedish summer. We used to do a lot of fishing on a lake called Välen, but now we mostly only go there for swimming

Ah my apologies, I'm not a very good Swede. I meant the Fagerhult closest to Kalmar. It's really not much of a town, but it has a butcher and an ICA so it's a town to me. Östergötland looks beautiful, making me miss Swedish summer. We used to do a lot of fishing on a lake called Välen, but now we mostly only go there for swimming

To mention a place called "Fagerhult" is good in this thread since it actually means "pretty place". :)

Let me explain the map thingie... this from Google Maps:

fagerhult.JPG

But only "your" Fagerhult is a town, the others are villages or individual farms I think. And only your pretty place is close to lake Välen. :)

One of reasons walk for exercise is so I can go hiking. Met a group that hike once a week. This week we went to the far western tip of Oahu Ka'ena point. Been years since I have been there it is a special place. Since stupid rich kids killed a bunch of Laysan Albatross out there it is totally different protected refuge. One ranger is on duty to make sure people don't bother nesting sites or get too close to endangered Hawaiian Monk seals. New pathways & signage telling history of the area & geology that I like.

It's so peaceful only sound is birds & waves hitting the rocks. Whales were everywhere some breaching out of the water. To far away for phone camera. Kind of wish had brought a better camera. Laysan Albatross have a six foot wingspan, they mate for life. Watched them soaring the updraft close to the mountain range.
IMG_20220308_102414777_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220308_103733550.jpg
IMG_20220308_103958587_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220308_111010792.jpg

IMG_20220308_121721963_MP.jpg
IMG_20220308_121834832_MP.jpg

It is rare to see glassy days but having spent a lot of my time in & on the water have seen them. It's a trip surfing when under water is so clear. Most are reef breaks.

Trade winds north & south of the equator are caused by the earths spin. North East above Southeast below it circles the earth the winds blow toward the low pressure zone of equator.
They were called trades because sailing ships would use them. They are more consistent over water. Over land create clouds that move by how fast the wind is blowing.

Another rather useless but fun fact if standing on the equator you are moving faster than rest of people about one thousand miles an hour standing still. 😁

Back