• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Price Drop ⏬ Yoshimune (Kawamura) 240 W#1 with Stainless Tsuchime finish

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yoshimune (Kawamura) 240 W#1with Stainless Tsuchime finish

US $200 / AU $265

International shipping ill cover the first $15 – Australia Express post is included

⏬

$175 shipped worldwide - lets talk if you are in Australia

242*52.2 213g Knife will ship in its original box

Handle is Black pakkawood and Macassar ebony with a stainless steel spacer

Balance point is about 50mm from the handle which is just beyond my pinch grip

Forged distal taper

• 4.0mm out of the handle
  • 3.5 above the heel
  • 2.3 mid spine
  • 1.9 where the grind meets the spine

Purchased from EE in 2018 when I was trying out different makers and knife profiles. As good as it is I just don’t reach for it. Has seen little use since then sharpened once and stropped on leather once, I cant speak to the edge retention as I am a home users and I haven’t used it enough to comment further.

The Tscuchime finish is very deeply textured and it looks better in person

Here is EE description from their website

Maker: Yoshimune (click to see more by this maker)
Blade: Hand forged shirogami #1 carbon steel set between layers of hammer finished (tsuchime) stainless steel
Bolster: Black pakkawood
Handle: Macassar ebony with a stainless steel spacer
Description: The gyuto is the essential kitchen knife. It's used for all the same purposes as a chef's knife—all-around food preparation, but the gyuto has less curve than a Western chef's knife, which means it contacts the cutting board along more of its length, so more food is cut per slice. The Yoshimune Gyuto has a gentle roll off the tip compared to the large roll of a Western style knife, so it needs to be lifted less, making cutting more efficient. Once you try the Yoshimune Gyuto, you'll wonder what you ever did without it.
Sumio Kawamura is a third generation bladesmith working in a small forge in Niigata. Born in 1948, he began making knives at 25 years old. Though he used to work with his father and others, as they retired, he began working by himself. His brand name, Yoshimune, was founded in 1916.
Kawamura-san forges his knives by hand, beginning with a high performing shirogami #1 carbon steel core. The high carbon content of Shirogami #1 (1.3%), combined with Kawamura’s exceptional heat treatment, creates a cutting edge that is both exceptionally keen, and long lasting.
Making the knife easier to care for, the carbon steel core was forge welded between protective layers of stainless steel. While it is much easier to care for this knife than a full carbon steel knife, it still must be hand washed and dried to avoid rusting the core. We recommend using camellia oil to avoid rust and oxidation.
Kawamura-san is well known for his unique textured blade finish, which helps food release from the sides of the knife. This textured finish, known as tsuchime, is created by hammer-texturing the blade. The tsuchime created by Kawamura is particularly bold and elegant.
The premium octagonal handle is formed from macassar ebony (Diospyros celebica) with a black pakkawood ferrule. A stainless steel spacer adds nice contrast. This handle holds up extremely well in the harsh environment of the kitchen. Like other kitchen knives, this knife should not be put in a dishwasher.
Both the blade (which features a 50/50 grind) and octagonal handle are ambidextrous.

20211030_101017.jpg

20211030_101034.jpg

20211030_101047.jpg

20211030_101113.jpg

20211030_101124.jpg

20211030_101444.jpg

20211030_133934.jpg

Last edited:
Back