• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Price drop - JNATs - several Nakayama, Narutaki kiita, Shinden suita etc.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I am offering a couple of stones for sale, among them a few pieces which I actually don’t want to sell (and they may be withdrawn any time) and I offer them partly because they deserve to be used more often (I am more a stone nut than a knife nut, but currently have really too few knives to justify almost 20 naturals) and partly because it may help me to raise some money to try some other stones eventually😊…Or get some more stuff for playing with them…

I tried to create enough examples of finishes the individual stones can provide (see videos and photos in the galleries), but still, if anyone would like to know some additional info about a particular stone, don’t hesitate to let me know, I will try to do my best!

I should probably notice that sometimes I used a slight „underexposition“ when making the photos or videos, just because its often hard to capture the finish and all the details when using no correction (particularly with very shiny finishes which was very often the case here)…And the underexposition describes the „real“ finish. i.e. that what one can actually see, much more realistically…

So here we go!

Nakayma maruka kiita – 140 x 80x15-18, 391 g

This is a remnant of a stone which was originally about 45 mm thick (and probably quite old, judging from the half rotten box and faded maruka stamp), but unfortunately my little daughter dropped it…I sold most of the rest within a previous WTS thread, kept a piece as a nagura for myself, along with this one…I have tried certainly over 100 JNATs in my life and this one is definitely the one which creates a flawless finish most easily…Its extremely fine, but nor particularly hard, with atoma it feels like maybe Lv 3.5, without it around Lv 4.0, but still definitely softer than any of the other harder stones I am selling…Edges are fine, but still with some bite…I am pretty sure it would work great also for razors, although probably rather as a prefinisher…Selling only in the hope I will get a stone like this fullsize, one day…

Link to a gallery is here: Vintage Nakayama Maruka Kiita – rhamphorhynchus – album na Rajčeti , the photos of the current state are at the end of it (its sealed now)

Asking 395 USD+shipping

PB245229.JPG

Shinden suita – 185 x 88 x 28, 1093 g

Got it from Carlos aka valgard about 5 years ago within a trade (he regret letting it to at least for some time then), hard (about Lv 4), fine, very, very fast for its fineness (just look at the lagoon of black slurry at the end of the gallery, within my last use of it), phantastic edges (Jeremy Brooks aka brooksie967 had it once for testing and described them as „ideal edge“). I didn’t use it much for polishing as I struggle to get a completely even finish on cladding, but it is still capable to create nice, shiny and quite contrasty finishes…Once I lent it to a Czech friend who is a very experienced sharpener, but had only little experience with natural stones so far and he loved it totally…I wouldn’t mind if this one stays, I am offering it predominantly because it deserves to be used more often than I do…Very pleasant width, all the lines are just colour and safe…

Link to a gallery is here:

https://rhamphorhynchus.rajce.idnes.cz/Shinden_suita_2/
Asking 450 USD+shipping

PB245265.JPG

PC075700.JPG

Honyama asagi – 193-214 x 77 x 25-28, 1181 g

I don’t know the mine here with certainty, but the hardness, fineness, well visibble kan pattern along with the kawa on the backside are clear indications of Nakayama…Its the hardest and finest of all the stones I am selling (but it still selfslurries when used with some of my knives), its probably more a razor stone as it has been sold with a number of other razor-sized stones (among them several maruka-stamped) within a sale of an old J-barber shop…On some photos in wet condition it can be nicely seen how hydrophobic is it…And it seems that there also used to be a stamp on one of the shorter sides, however, no details can be recognized anymore…After I found out how hard is it, I expected it to be scratchy (Nakayama asagi are known to be usually too hard for knives), but was pleasantly surprised how pretty finishes can be achieved, no matter if used without or with atoma-generated slurry…Still, use of a lower pressure is definitely recommended as it may otherwise scratch the cladding…But the scratches were very fine and were removed just when I used the stone with some generated slurry…Edges are cruel, as one can expect from such kind of stone…Just some more notes to the appearance: not everything on the backside is kawa, there is also a bit of epoxy from fixing the stone to the wooden base, and both the crack in one of the corners as well as the little flaw visible on one of the gallery photos are harmless and not causing any problems, the latter will most likely dissapear with further lapping…If someone would be curious how it performs on razors, I can ask a friend of mine who is a razor guy to test it..

Link to a gallery is here: Honyama mizu asagi kan – rhamphorhynchus – album na Rajčeti

Asking 310 USD+shipping

PC015526.JPG

PC015510.JPG

Nakayama nashiji – 209 x 75 x 24 (16 on the spot where the stone is undercut), 873 g

Hard (Lv about 4), consistent Nakayama with quite a lot of reddish nashiji on the surface and beautiful kawa on the backside, very fast with any generated slurry (no matter if with diamond or just a fine nagura), quite yellowish when wet, but I wouldn’t call it a kiita, it also seems to me to be a bit less dense than the Nakayama kiita I have for sale as well or my other, large Nakayama kiita…Finishes are pretty shiny, but still a bit less shiny than e.g. from the Nakayama kiita or the Honyama asagi – no real mirror finish here…Edges are fine, but still with a nice bite…The few lines are all totally safe and just colour…Its a pretty and reliable stone suitable for both knives and tools and also as a prefinisher for razors…

Link to a gallery is here: Nakayama nashiji – rhamphorhynchus – album na Rajčeti

Asking 310 USD+shipping

PA224913.JPG

PC015456.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olucL8NY_qohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uukob106UcMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J1yp-hpJeE
Nakayama kiita – 205 x 74 x 26, 1205 g including the wooden base

Very pretty, fullsize orange Nakayama kiita with some reddish tones on one of the margins, very hard (Lv about 4.5) and fine…Its very fast if used with slurry, with just water it provides mirror-like finishes and reveals lots of details, examples can be seen on the photos and videos…Only selling as I have an even larger Nakayama kiita which performs very similarly to this one…Those lines on one of the margins are safe as long as lighter pressure is applied, with too much pressure they may cause light scratches on the cladding…But if desired, that area can easily be avoided when using the stone due to its location on the margin…

Link to a gallery is here: Nakayama kiita 2 – rhamphorhynchus – album na Rajčeti

Asking 470 USD+shipping

P7174434.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_eQ-8egdJ0https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtimRTqMsWohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRPNi-0EF7Uhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzdqCCJYtlUhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l_ltZSVJZo

Shoubudani asagi – 220 x 83 x 42, 1949 g

This one is an inconspicuous beauty…Not a flashy stone, but very, very versatile and useful…And huge, it weighs almost 2 kilo and due to its width is super comfortable to use! When used with generated slurry (no matter if from atoma or a nagura), its super fast and provides a very deep contrast due to dark cladding, with just water and sharpening both the core and cladding it will still selfslurry very quickly and provide that what I call „classical kasumi“…If used on the core only, it will burnish it and reveal quite a lot of details (although I should mention that when I used it last time, it revealed some banding even on the cladding of my friend’s Suisin Densho yanagi which is definitely not easily revealed on this knife)…Edges are quite toothy, ideal for general kitchen use…Otto got a twin of this one and described it as „It is wonderful! Hard, but it makes mud and it is a very consistent clean stone“…It reminds me quite a lot on a very expensive Maruo shiro suita I used to own, its just better in every aspect, IMO, particularly even faster, more consistent and without any annoying su…This is another stone I wouldn’t mind to keep in the slightest…

Link to a gallery is here: Shoubudani asagi – rhamphorhynchus – album na Rajčeti - as can be seen on the photo of the shorter side, there is a crack approximately in the middle of the stone, but as the stone is sealed, it should be totally safe, all the more that it didn’t go deep and was just on that one side…

Asking 600 USD+shipping

PB245223.JPG

P2194450.JPG

View attachment 216628

Narutaki kiita – 205 x 77 x 43, 1636 g

A large piece of orange Narutaki kiita, it should be at least 75 years old… Not too soft, not too hard (Lv about 3.5), fast, easy kasumi finisher, great toothy edges (my Yoshikazu Ikeda AS gyuto loves this stone!), its just a great allround stone! And its super pretty, it makes me smile every time I splash it with water and it gets that beautiful orange colour…There are a few lines, but none of them can be feeled, I have never had any single scratch off this one…I actually don’t want to sell it at all, my only motivation to offer it is to raise some funds to try some other stone(s) eventually…

Link to a gallery is here: Vintage Narutaki kiita – rhamphorhynchus – album na Rajčeti - photos of the current state are at the end of it…

Asking 850 USD+shipping

PB245237.JPG

View attachment 216631

Thanks for watching!

PB245198.JPG
PB245200.JPG
PB245207.JPG

Four stones still remaining, the Honyama asagi went to my friend for testing on razors, so if the guy who might be interested in it won't take it, I will at least be able to provide additional info how it works on razors!

To be honest, I expected the expensive stones to be sold slowly and probably at the very end, but what happened was the exact opposite:)...Anyway, I would like to add that the Honyama asagi turned out to be rather a razor prefinisher than a finisher (it has been tested by a friend of mine in the meantime) and I am lowering the price to 290 USD + shipping for this one...I also made some testing for the little Nakayama maruka and its really stupidly easy to put a great finish with this one, so I won't promote this one at the moment as I consider to keep it for myself...

But I want to add links to some quick videos I made, trying to demonstrate the speed of the other two stones (with water only or with Atoma 600 - raised slurry, on two different knives), the Nakayama nashiji and Nakayama kiita - they are both very, very good stones and if there is someone who is looking for a hard, fine, but still very fast finisher, I can highly recommend them!

So here we go!

Nashiji:

Kiita:

Nakayama kiita speed - Suisin Densho yanagiba with water only
Nakayama kiita speed - Suisin Densho yanagiba with Atoma 600 - raised slurry
Nakayama kiita speed - my usuba with Atoma 600 - raised slurry
Nakayama kiita speed - Suisin Densho yanagiba with Atoma 600 - raised slurry left on the stone

I just want to add that before I started, both the knives were polished with the maruka which is also very fine, so there was no effect of seemingly higher speed due to remnants of the steel on the blade like it would be when I would jump to them from let's say 2k synthetics...And I also want to apologize for all the family noise:)..

Colour me a little bit surprised that those two Nakayama are still here; they are fast, fast stones and pretty spiffy polishes. Look like great examples of why the mine is so highly regarded.

(Though also, even though they look excellent - don't anyone buy them please, because OP has said if nobody snaps em up soon then I might be able to borrow for a while to play around... ;))

Last edited:
OK, I realized finally that the best way how to promote the stones is a price drop:)...So, here we go!

Nakayama maruka kiita 360 USD+shipping
Honyama asagi 270 USD+shipping
Nakayama nashiji 290 USD+shipping
Nakayama kiita 440 USD+shipping

Shipping within Europe would be typically somewhere between 20-30 USD, depending on the location, and to the US about 35 USD, for these (for the large ones it was a bit more)...

Its the only price drope at least for some time, first because I am pretty convinced that they are worth the money, and second because if they won't sell within a couple of days, they will go to a trip to London:)..

God I want that maruka.
Btw.your post made me to play with it a bit and as I had nothing to polish currently,I just did a quick touch up of my Y.Ikeda AS gyuto on it (which has last time seen another touch up on an Aizu)...and the resulting edge was just phantastic!

If it was in the EU, i'd have snatched it instantly

Whew

You and me too brother. I'm glad I can stopped fretting about whether I should buy that Kiita. Congrats on sale to the new owner
Nothing is finalized yet, but the guy seemed to be quite convinced that he will take it when we phoned today, along with another stone I was ready to post here for sale (a huge Mikawa nagura), but, of course, if he won't take it, I will put it for sale again!

Back