• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTS Price drop - Mizuno Honyaki, Y. Tanaka, Mazaki, Togashi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Some knives for sale. No trades please. Postage is from the UK - this is usually around $20 to the EU, $30 to the US.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

Karatsu Atsuhiro Gyuto 240mm, White#1. 230 x 50
£370 / $450

This is a house line from Saitou, forged by Yoshikazu Tanaka and sharpened by Koichi Morimoto.
It has obvious similarities to the other Tanaka forged wide bevels, but this is the thinnest I've seen. This one is their top line, in shirogami #1. Scary thin at the edge. (It isn't quite as asymmetrical as the choil shot suggests). A wide bevel laser. Reminds me of the old Konosuke Fujiyama. Has a lovely, figured, ebony handle.
Used sparingly. Only sharpened on naturals, Aizu and finer.
Comes with saya.

Mizuno Tanrenjo honyaki 240mm, White#2. 227 x 52
£600 / $740

This was my dream knife when I started out in this game, but a need for funds, and that it doesn't make it into the pro kitchen rotation, has led to its sale.
A wonderful knife, with Mizuno's famed grind. A few surface scratches, and a good set patina, with the original mirror polish shining through. 2 small marks highlighted in the photos. It has been sharpened a few times, only on naturals. So overall definitely a used knife (home use only though), but in practical terms not far from how it is new.
Comes with saya.

Mazaki Gyuto 240mm. 242 x 53
£190 / $235

This is from the run of Mazaki from late 2018, bought from JNS. Think it's 2nd or 3rd generation, but someone will have to confirm. This generation garnered a lot of praise here, with both cleancut and JNS offering this iteration. The profile and grind are excellent, extremely nimble. Killer distal taper means the tip can do some damage. Very shallow chip near the heel, less than 0.5mm.

Suisin (Densho?) Sakimaru Takohiki 300mm, White #1.
£400 / $495

Forged by Togashi, in white #1 steel, for Suisin, but I’m not certain of which line. Retailed for around £700 when I purchased it. Mirror polished.
Practically unused, but has seen a bit of polishing. Handle still wrapped.
Small crack near the kanji, which brings the price down considerably. I can’t feel it at all, and still unsure if it is merely a scratch. The price makes it a good option for someone to put it to use – sadly I just don’t cut that much fish.

Photos of Yoshikazu Tanaka
1588949008707.png

1588949026185.png

1588949036979.png

Can you describe the marks on the Miz. Is it pitted ie felt with the finger nail?

If only intl. shipping didn't suck so much right now. Being stuck in humid Chicago customs for a month+ is my only deterrent. Glws

I know it sounds ridiculous. I just want to make sure your Karatsu Atsuhiro has different measurements than my Kagekiyo White 1.

I know from the previous thread its 215g.

But can you give me a spine width at:
1. the tip, Right where the top of the wide bevel hits the spine?
2. the width right above the heel of the blade?

I would be interested if it's moderately thicker than my w1.

Last edited:
I know it sounds ridiculous. I just want to make sure your Karatsu Atsuhiro has different measurements than my Kagekiyo White 1.

I know from the previous thread its 215g.

But can you give me a spine width at:
1. the tip, Right where the top of the wide bevel hits the spine?
2. the width right above the heel of the blade?

I would be interested if it's moderately thicker than my w1.
I'll get these today

Haha, it's just a bit of elbow grease away!
Dude my wife would LITERALLY kill me with it (we’re in the middle of a move right now and spending 3/4 of a G would not put me on her good side)

although that being said...the blood from my murder would prob leave a breathtaking patina (I’m a glass half full guy ;) )

Apologies had a lot going on.
No calipers so measurements are eyed from a ruler. Spine above heel is about 2.6mm. Where bevel meets spine near tip, around 1.8 or 1.9mm

good deals indeed. Sadly my faith in overseas shipping has been soured as of late. Otherwise, even in my current state of underpaid and over spent, I'd jump on that Tanaka.

Apologies had a lot going on.
No calipers so measurements are eyed from a ruler. Spine above heel is about 2.6mm. Where bevel meets spine near tip, around 1.8 or 1.9mm

Thanks,
That is basically exactly where my kagekiyo lays. Even though its 150g.
I guess From "paka/plastic?" to the wood handle adds 30-35g and ebony adds 30-35 to that.

Back