Prime rib slicer

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruppertsreef

Reaction score
Looking to buy a decent knife for slicing though cooked prime rib

Left handed.

Don’t have a preference on handle type as I haven’t used a traditional Japanese handle before so unsure.

Would prefer good edge retention but willing to learn how to sharpen with wet stone if needed.

Would use for possible 40-70 cuts per day on a synthetic cutting board.

Budget max 300$

Length would prefer 14 inches

Would prefer a longer or deeper bolster vs handle at same level as blade due to possible wet hand usage and potential slippage down blade

What do you think about something like this:
henx 14 slicer.jpg

Henckels model number 32752-360. 14 inch blade, overall length 20 inches. Blade width 1.5 inches.

So that style is what I have always used for the past 17 years when slicing prime rib. It always seems to be what restaurants have and I’m not terribly fond of them.
I have always used what ever knives my workplace has but would like to start getting my own. Wasn’t sure if there was a style that didn’t require (not sure how to describe a straight cut down pretty much knuckles on cutting board cut though ) if that makes any sense. Blade could be 12-14. Was wondering how something like this would work as it has deeper blade where knife will make contact with cutting board before hand. Photo for reference it’s just some random knife

Attachments

• 2AC8B739-0570-4114-A7C6-CEC7C1A9A6AC.png
    2AC8B739-0570-4114-A7C6-CEC7C1A9A6AC.png
    275.3 KB · Views: 49
With your budget, you may consider a Misono Swedish Carbon, 330 or 360mm, in a left-handed version, inverted to the right-biased one (so with the left side convex, right one flatter, edge off-centered to the right). If you order in the US, get it with Korin and ask for a free 'initial stone sharpening'. It will make your own sharpening much easier. Or ask JCK. They don't advertise with the service, but are well-prepared to afford it. Ask Mr Iwahara, koki at kencrest.us
https://japanesechefsknife.com/prod...to-sujihiki-360mm-5-sizes?variant=29225032067

So that style is what I have always used for the past 17 years when slicing prime rib. It always seems to be what restaurants have and I’m not terribly fond of them.

I can't argue that point.

I have always used what ever knives my workplace has but would like to start getting my own. Wasn’t sure if there was a style that didn’t require (not sure how to describe a straight cut down pretty much knuckles on cutting board cut though ) if that makes any sense.
It does. But stare at those two images some more. Knuckle clearance is essentially the same.

Blade could be 12-14. Was wondering how something like this would work as it has deeper blade where knife will make contact with cutting board before hand. Photo for reference it’s just some random knife.

I'm very satisfied with my 10" spear-point slicer. But I only cut cooked pork loin or turkey breast with it. It's sharp enough I don't need knuckles on the board.

Back