Production 225?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there such a thing as a production 225 in the j knife world? I keep bouncing between 210s and 240s, curious about 225s. Thanks in advance for any leads. 🤘

Lots out there. My 240 Takada is actually 225 heel to tip, as is the case with a number of J-made 240s, look at the vendor/maker specs.

Also, what do you mean by 'production'?

Most Sakai 240s are 220-230 in actual heel to tip length. So, sukenari, Ashi, mizuno, ittetsu, jikko, Tanaka Yoshikazu, etc

On the other hand Heiji, Mazaki 210s are usually 217-220

Cool thanks. I've only owned one sakai knife (a ginga, back in the day) and it was before I paid any real attention to specs. Never owned or tried the others mentioned. Guess it's time to get crackin....

Lots out there. My 240 Takada is actually 225 heel to tip, as is the case with a number of J-made 240s, look at the vendor/maker specs.

Also, what do you mean by 'production'?

By production I meant available off the shelf and in relative volume, so that you don't have to custom order or commission a knife, and can take advantage of "mass produced" prices.

By production I meant available off the shelf and in relative volume, so that you don't have to custom order or commission a knife, and can take advantage of "mass produced" prices.

@Barmoley 's comment was quite valid, many Sakai 240s are in the ballpark of 225–230mm. When you say "...take advantage of "mass produced" prices"—what price point are you looking at?

If you can see a machi on a 240, you can likely count that as a ~225--blade length being measured from the machi not the heel.

Do you guys know if the Konosuke YS-M 240 is similarly undersized? If so, is there a version of that knife out there without all the admittedly beautiful cosmetics that might help bring costs down? I'm looking at the Yoshikane Nashiji SKD (which I know is not the same knife, but still) as a potential pick, but edge length is 244 per Carbon KnifeCo.

Nope, Sanjo based, will be on spot or bit longer.

Might not be the same steel, but YS-M is a Yoshikane. No matter who does it from the debate going on that it could not be the Hamono... it IS point per point a Yoshikane SKD, but the steel could be better, and finish is beautiful compared to Nash/Tsuch Yoshis...

Have a look at Sukenari Ginsan in your price point, or SG2 a bit above, for a grind I've found to perform close to Yoshikane, very nice food release, will be 230mm spot on.

My 240 Gesshin Ginga runs 235, but 240 Takada No Hamonos are both in the 227-228 range.

Do you guys know if the Konosuke YS-M 240 is similarly undersized? If so, is there a version of that knife out there without all the admittedly beautiful cosmetics that might help bring costs down? I'm looking at the Yoshikane Nashiji SKD (which I know is not the same knife, but still) as a potential pick, but edge length is 244 per Carbon KnifeCo.

I'd think that it runs long - the 210 is 216. The CKtG video lists the 240 at 247

A Sakai “240” for 300 or under... I bet you’d be very happy with this. Ren is supposed to be Morihiro’s son so I bet it would have a good grind. And at that price point you can’t go wrong.
https://carbonknifeco.com/collectio.../hitohira-kikuchiyo-ren-white-2-gyuto-240mm-1

Sift through those carefully. Not unlike Hinoura/Hinode I’ve seen... weird grinds. Can’t never be sure how a vendor might have willingly or not messed or « corrected » a choil shot but... a bit all over the place still.

A Sakai “240” for 300 or under... I bet you’d be very happy with this. Ren is supposed to be Morihiro’s son so I bet it would have a good grind. And at that price point you can’t go wrong.
https://carbonknifeco.com/collectio.../hitohira-kikuchiyo-ren-white-2-gyuto-240mm-1
it's not a good knife for experienced users, it's a good knife for beginners. It's a good Project knife though since it's pretty heavy so a small thinning will still excel.

240 Takada No Hamonos are both in the 227-228 range.

Takada is in Sakai (spent many years at Ashi), so not surprising. He finishes some knives made by Y. Tanaka.
Heiji could do custom that should come in under budget, typically has 3-4 month wait time.
A couple years ago Jon at JKI ordered a mini-batch of 225s from Kochi, perhaps he could be convinced to do another. Wait was 6-9 months, I think.
Tim Johnson (timostheos on IG) recently made me a custom knife that was pretty quick and at a very good price. He might be able to make a 225 within your budget.
I have a Sukenari which I like. They seemed to be somewhat respect but not loved on here. A lot of their offerings might be about your pricepoint.
Oh, and some Takedas are pretty close to that. Ask a vendor if they have anything. I have a 223 that I need to put up for sale.
Good luck, from another 225-230 fan

Personally, I'd recommend just getting a knife you want—with a blade between 210–240 heel to tip—and not get too fixated on being exactly 225. Difference between 215 and 225, or 225 and 235 can be negligible in use—height, weight, profile, thickness obviously come into play. My 215 Hinoura is more beastly than the 225 Takada I have; similarly my 225 Raquin considerably more nimble than the 210 Maz I had.

Back