Professional Chefs whats your favorite way to stay comfortable during long shifts.

Discussion in 'Back of the House' started by aszma, Sep 23, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Sep 23, 2019 #1

aszma

aszma

aszma

I remember when I first started cooking in some bar when I was 18. The owners had no Idea what they were doing and neither did I. The back of house consisted of two people some chines lady i called lan and I. No standards meant my uniform was whatever I happened to be wearing that day. So often times it was a shirt, shorts, and vans and as you can imagen this lead to a lot of slipping, scalding oil/water hitting my hands and legs, and the worst part was swollen feet from standing in vans for 10-12 hours at a time. As I progressed through the the restaurant world ive picked up on a few tricks to keep myself safe and comfortable on the line. I just wanted to share what ive found through trial and error. The number one part of your body that gets abused the most on the job is definitely your feet. Ive found that having good high quality shoes is a must not a big fan of clogs but ive found the higher end mozos and berks work wonders when combined with new insoles from walmart but my favorite thing i discovered was last year when I was in colorado i stumbled across some light, waterproof, woolen hiking socks on sale and they are by far the most comfortable socks of all time they keep my feet comfy while blocking out water anytime my shoes get wet. Just recently a friend of mines switched from dicky jeans to nursing joggers and that will probably be my next experiment. If any of you have any tips or secrets that you use to get through those long shifts id love to hear it.

PS coke doesnt count

labor of love likes this.
  2. Sep 23, 2019 #2

panda

panda

panda

O.G. Supporting Member

#1 is shoes like you said, my favorite are naot bjorn (hand made european brand, clog style with cork insert so that it molds into the shape of your foot), also get a good set of compression socks they really do help. nike golf pants because theyre highly breathable and stretchy, 100% cotton thin material short sleeved chef jacket (chef works capri or bragard grand chef) and a vented beanie hat. stretch as often as you can.

Midsummer and pete84 like this.
  3. Sep 23, 2019 #3

atb

atb

atb

I got some non slip Filas with comfy soles I like. Theyre super light and good enough support. I have a dickies coat which I could probably have forever bc its real sturdy but its so uncomfortable. got a clement firenze s/s that is fire. go to for weekend shifts. I drink lots of water and coffee. No snow tho. not anymore at least ;). Pants wise I used to wear chef pants a lot more but I dont like thin bottoms makes me feel like a ***** idk why. I wear carhartt pants a lot. Aside from that I mean it's an uncomfortable job bro. Lotta soreness, cuts, bruises, headaches etc. I do find stressin out ruins my comfort level tho. Just really try hard to focus and not get stressed out. A clear mind is the best thing for you on the line. If you do get stressed take a second, look at what youre doing, figure out an action plan and move forward. Or if youre really ****ed you can laugh at yourself.

4. Sep 23, 2019 #4

GorillaGrunt

GorillaGrunt

GorillaGrunt

Supporting Member

I’ve been blasting through Mozos at a couple pairs per year so I might try Panda’s ones. Also I put Dr Scholls inserts in whatever shoes I wear. My current kitchen has an open hearth so it gets pretty hot - might drink 6 quarts of water and not have to pee. And I wear shorts; the guy I got that from said every so often you’ll burn your leg and the rest of the time the shorts are worth it. Once dropped a pan that splashed hot oil up my leg and that was the first thing I thought of, I wasn’t even mad about it. Duluth Trading compression socks ftw, I never spent $100 on 6 pairs of work socks before but the RoI in comfort is huge.

5. Sep 30, 2019 #5

SilverSwarfer

SilverSwarfer

SilverSwarfer

+1 on the golf pants! I started wearing golf pants at work just 3 years ago and I most definitely love the move. I can’t stand “Chef Pants,” in any format. At all. Golf pants work great in kitchens for sure.

6. Sep 30, 2019 #6

parbaked

parbaked

parbaked

160506-johnny-miller.png

M1k3, Carl Kotte, rob and 1 other person like this.
  7. Sep 30, 2019 #7

SilverSwarfer

SilverSwarfer

SilverSwarfer

More along the lines of Payne Stewart or John Daly, pal.

8. Sep 30, 2019 #8

SilverSwarfer

SilverSwarfer

SilverSwarfer

Seriously. I honestly DO wear Haggar Cool 18 Pro, black and non-pleated. They’re no-iron, super cool and “stretchy,” and they have an elastic waistband. I was always plagued with crotch blowouts when squatting plus the usual chafing issues. These golf pants are a serious and sound recommendation.

9. Sep 30, 2019 #9

stringer

stringer

stringer

Supporting Member

My feet are twisted. Born double club foot. 3 major reconstructive surgeries before I was 6. Lots of Forrest Gump style casts and braces. Bone spurs, degenerated cartilage, hammer toes, twisted metatarsals, callouses, Morton's neuroma, stiff knobby arthritic ankles, Achilles/calf issues, and skin grafts from that time a steam jacketed kettle failed and tipped over filling my shoes with boiling pasta water.

Basically I have the feet of a 65 year old burn victim. So I dress my feet like one.

https://www.sasshoes.com/mens-guardian-non-slip-lace-up-shoe/2110.html

SAS Guardians, custom carbon fiber orthotic insoles, maleolar (ankle cushion) sleeves,
    strategically placed foam cushions here and there and a toe separator.

Things I've learned
    Crooked feet on hard floors wear through cheap shoes fast, buy decent stuff and it will last longer and be healthier for your feet
    Don't get too many hydrocortisone injections, it will eventually affect your vision.
    Opioids don't work great for long term pain management.
    Anti-inflammatories don't work great for long term pain management.
    A dunk in a bucket of ice water for 15 minutes almost never fails.
    Take care of yourself. No one else is there to protect you from overdoing it.
    Ice, elevation, stretching, strength training can help.
    Build in time to sit down. This one depends totally on the job and on you. If you have bad foot/knee/back pain you have to find ways to do your stuff healthy or you won't last.
    I try to take a 30 minute lunch break every day.
    I volunteer to go to meetings/do paperwork where I get a chance to sit down.

M1k3, SilverSwarfer and Carl Kotte like this.
  10. Sep 30, 2019 #10

Chuckles

Chuckles

Chuckles

Supporting Member

Thin medical grade compression socks with thin merino wool socks over them. Red Wing 607 boots. Duluth Trading 5 pocket stretch/flex canvas work pants. Cotton Bragard coat.

Best thing I have done is to make a distinction between tasting and eating. I taste everything. I try to ingest as little as possible when tasting. Stick to an anti inflammatory diet when eating. For long term energy and limiting wear and tear the best thing I can do for myself is keep my weight down. Because I am still going to be doing this in my 70s and it isn’t getting any easier.

M1k3, Carl Kotte and labor of love like this.
  11. Sep 30, 2019 #11

M1k3

M1k3

M1k3

Drink lots of water. Screw the energy drinks, a cup of coffee occasionally is ok. Don't get into the stereotypical cook diet of coffee, cigarettes, booze and drugs. Eat lots of veggies and fruits, especially like @Chuckles said, anti-inflammatory veggies and fruits.

12. Sep 30, 2019 #12

panda

panda

panda

O.G. Supporting Member

that's sound advice as i'm only 35 and my body already feels like it's twice that from living a very unhealthy lifestyle.

13. Sep 30, 2019 #13

PappaG

PappaG

PappaG

Do compression socks really help?

14. Sep 30, 2019 #14

M1k3

M1k3

M1k3

Yes! Shoe's are more important though.

15. Sep 30, 2019 #15

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

I’m operating on an hour and a half of sleep right now. Don’t do that.

16. Sep 30, 2019 #16

atb

atb

atb

Pastry EC at my place works 85-100 hrs/week last day he had off was when dorian was posed to come thru guy doesnt stop. shouldnt do that either probably.

M1k3 likes this.
  17. Oct 1, 2019 #17

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

Those pants are way cooler than all the dorky prints chef wear comes up with. If I had to choose I’d rather those in a heart beat

Carl Kotte and Ryndunk like this.
  18. Oct 2, 2019 #18

tkern

tkern

tkern

Supporting Member

Corn starch

M1k3 likes this.
  19. Oct 2, 2019 #19

panda

panda

panda

O.G. Supporting Member

PS yes it does

20. Oct 4, 2019 #20

lumo

lumo

lumo

Armachillos!

21. Oct 4, 2019 #21

Ochazuke

Ochazuke

Ochazuke

+1 on the Dr Scholls and compression socks!

The best thing I ever did was train my managers enough to hold the line for 15 damn minutes. Learning to ask for and then actually take breaks literally saved my life when I was doing those 12 hour days.

The best advice was said above: you gotta take care of yourself because nobody else will.

22. Oct 15, 2019 #22

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

I’ve been looking around for some golf pants for work. These sound good and not too pricey. Any other brand recommendations for pants guys?

23. Oct 15, 2019 #23

panda

panda

panda

O.G. Supporting Member

Nike golf!! Buy used on eBay. Those guys wear it once and sell for half price lol

24. Oct 15, 2019 #24

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

I just bought a pair of mozos off eBay for $40 haha.

25. Oct 15, 2019 #25

Dendrobatez

Dendrobatez

Dendrobatez

Lightweight pants help out so much, the chef works ones I like are like $30 but worth every penny when you're in them 12hrs a day.
    The other thing that helps out is under armour style t shirts - the tight stretchy ones - don't pay the under armour price though you can get other brands for $10-15.
    Shoes though are something I am still trying to dial in 10+ years later, custom inserts may be the way.

26. Oct 15, 2019 #26

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

Shoes for crews have all sorts of new balance shoes with non slip treads now. Some their newest additions are light weight running shoes with added non slip treads. I was thinking hard about picking some up until I found slightly worn $90 mozos Finns for $40.
    Still need to take chuckles advice about the compression socks, the more I think about it the more sense it makes.

27. Oct 15, 2019 #27

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

Also, do you guys have a style of insert that you prefer or a brand?

28. Oct 19, 2019 at 11:16 AM #28

Sharpchef

Sharpchef

Sharpchef

29. Oct 21, 2019 at 5:50 PM #29

Dc2123

Dc2123

Dc2123

Soft pants (lucky to find a lot of great loose baggy nice material pants for dirt cheap at thrift stores)