Professional Chefs whats your favorite way to stay comfortable during long shifts.

Discussion in 'Back of the House' started by aszma, Sep 23, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Nov 9, 2019 #31

Byphy

Byphy

Byphy

By

Glad to come across this thread. Currently taking a break from the line, the burnout is real. Always waking up, never hungry, get to work, prep, no appetite. Eat a pastry when the cafe closes before sit down. Back to prep. Lineup. Service. Before I know it, all I ate was a pastry. With that said, shoes are so important. A PT told me that working on the line is the equivalent of running a marathon. Imagine doing that with crap shoes.

Also, do not stand with locked knees. Will wreak havoc on your legs.

2. Nov 11, 2019 at 5:04 PM #32

Travis petosa

Travis petosa

Travis petosa

Supporting Member

Couple things I have picked up along the way.

GYM! go to it. Stay healthy. My co workers make fun of me because of my diet outside of work, very clean. Meat and veggies. Almost no carbs. I don’t shy away from dairy but I try to limit it. I go to the gym at least 5 days a week. We can all find 45 minutes to go and workout. Even when working 16hr days I make it a point to go.

Doing this keeps your energy at consistent levels. I don’t pretend to be a saint when it comes to coffee. I usually average 4-5 cups a day, but working 14hrs on a good day does take its toll.

the most important thing I have found(and it’s very recent finding but also very challenging) is separation. We all know the 7 days a week 16hr a day grind. Even working in starred restaurants this type of thinking is so ass backwards. The law of diminishing returns is real. Find a balance, take a weekend(or at least attempt to) the quality of your work will improve and your mental capabilities will skyrocket.

last but not least. Be comfortable. I have flat feet so vans are the best it can get for me but if I didn’t have flat feet I would definitely get something else. Comfort when working long ass hours makes a ginormous difference.

3. Nov 12, 2019 at 7:40 AM #33

aszma

aszma

aszma

are you a clone of me or ***. I tell my friends this all the time, they are always suprised that i turn down coffee and coke at work and i tell them its because i make a point to meal prep and workout outside of work so im just naturally more energetic compare to their more unhealthy cook diet. Oddly enough I also tell my friends that too if you work 7 days a week there will be deminishing return and only ever work at most 6 days a week, I dont ever feel like im dragging behind my coworkers who work 7 days a week either. **** bro even down to the wearing vans i got flat feet as well at work part it was really weird reading your comment

4. Nov 12, 2019 at 4:48 PM #34

Dendrobatez

Dendrobatez

Dendrobatez

THIS.
    The whole last year was full of 7 day weeks, 12-16hr days. Recently I realised this was so backwards and I needed to find a way to get the restaurant to run without me living there. It removes so much stress when you start getting the place to a point that it's not going to burn down when you're not there.