Progression

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick112

Reaction score
Hi

if the goal is to get ultimate sharpness (not tothiness, not best edge for kitchen etc) on a w1 or b2 knife.

which progression would you do if you had access to 1k 4k 8k (kitayama), ohira suita 3.5 lvl, nakayama lvl 4.

would you use the 8k kitayama before the suita? Or would you skip the 8k stone, and go 3k -> ohira.
Also can the nakayama lvl4 add some extra sharp edge if used after the ohira suita?

Thanks for you knowledge.

niclas

Nothing planned, just want to know what progression that can give the sharpest edge, for fun.

Well if I had access to all of those, I would use all of them in the order you listed them. Why not? You don't need to go to the 8k before the suita, but it wouldn't hurt.

Those naturals are 100% unknown quantities. You need to trial and error them.

Also trial and error after every single stone. This will provide info if you don't actually dull the edge at some point. I've seen it many times. A surprisingly number of people make the edges worse with finer stones.

And stones matter, but first is the technique used. How would you do this?

If your objective is to cut toilet paper cleanly, go all the way with synths. With Jnats, there will always be a little bite in the edge no matter how fine the stone is. Final step after stones should be stropping on leather with chromium or diamond paste.

Those naturals are 100% unknown quantities. You need to trial and error them.

Also trial and error after every single stone. This will provide info if you don't actually dull the edge at some point. I've seen it many times. A surprisingly number of people make the edges worse with finer stones.

And stones matter, but first is the technique used. How would you do this?
This. Having someone competent test your stones would help. For testing you need to have consistent technique and also some control sample, which would give you general idea about expected outcome. Skipping 8k before suita should definitely be possible, I tried this with few different stones and it worked flawlessly.

Back