Project Knives

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by NBrewster, Jan 8, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Jan 8, 2019 #1

NBrewster

NBrewster

NBrewster

Happy New Year KKF!

For those of you who take pleasure is slaving over a beat up blade and turning it into something beautiful and functional, I'm wondering where you typically go to find your starting knife? I have browsed ebay a handful of times and didn't find anything that was particularly tempting. Are there other resources out there that you've found?

Would greatly appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

2. Jan 9, 2019 #2

stringer

stringer

stringer

Supporting Member

I have had great luck with buying
    knives from eBay. Finding decent bargain vintage Japanese blades is tough. However, you can find other great stuff. I collect old American, French, German and Chinese knives. I rarely pay more than $40 all in.

What kinds of knives are you interested in restoring?

3. Jan 9, 2019 #3

HRC_64

HRC_64

HRC_64

there is a bunch of leaf-spring gyutos
    on that banned knife to go site for $30,
    listed as seconds...

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Nikabrik likes this.
  4. Jan 9, 2019 #4

NBrewster

NBrewster

NBrewster

@stringer my experience is the same as yours. I feel like I don't know enough about european manufacturers to know what to look for. Are there some with reliable steel quality and on the harder side? I've seen a lot of inexpensive and beat up sabatier knives on ebay but have never used one in good condition.

Any suggestions?

5. Jan 9, 2019 #5

ryanjams

ryanjams

ryanjams

If you can find one affordably, forgecraft are nice! I wouldn't pay the current ebay prices but scored a nice 10" at a local flea market for $10. Really enjoying it on the board and haven't even gotten much into the restoration or thinning side yet.

Nikabrik and NBrewster like this.
  6. Jan 9, 2019 #6

stringer

stringer

stringer

Supporting Member

American brands:
    Forgecraft is great. The 8" and 10" chef knives are hard to find cheap. Good condition runs 50-75. Immaculate new old stock is $100+
    However, 6" boning knives are available for under $20. They are good to practice on and make great little utility knives.
    Similar knives are available cheaper. Ontario/Old Hickory, Olde Forge, Case XX, Dexter-Russell, etc.
    I look for knives that are ugly but have a good profile. No major recurve to fix. Rust and pitting is good, helps keep the price down.
    Old cleavers are a lot of fun. Briddell, Foster Brothers, and Village Blacksmith are good brands
    As far as old German and French knives go. I prefer carbon blades to stainless obviously. I look for knives with good distal taper and professional looking bolsters. This is a good sign that they were hand forged and made of decent steel and not just stamped out of sheet metal.
    Sabatier handles almost always have hairline cracks. They can be easily fixed with super glue.
    For Chinese cleavers, carbon is better. Three Rams and Two Sheep are brands that I have had good luck with.

orangehero likes this.
  7. Jan 9, 2019 #7

stringer

stringer

stringer

Supporting Member

Here are some of my latest in progress.
    IMG_20190109_070751.jpg

dan, NBrewster and Gregmega like this.
  8. Jan 13, 2019 #8

merlijny2k

merlijny2k

merlijny2k

9. Jan 13, 2019 #9

dan

dan

dan

Stringer, those are beautiful! What's the (chinese?) cleaver on the far left?

10. Jan 13, 2019 #10

stringer

stringer

stringer

Supporting Member

That is a medium weight stainless Chinese cleaver that I believe that I got from the wok shop a few years ago. I replaced the handle with spalted sycamore. I keep a very fat edge on this one and use it for cutting frozen food and chopping through small bones.

The Wok Shop is also an excellent place to get project knives. Especially if you are into cleavers. They have a bunch of stuff for under $30.