Small plate Provencal Tian-Ernie Banks Style

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When I was a kid growing up, I wasn't a baseball fan at all, nor did I follow any other sport to think of. I also had no connection to Chicago.

But without doubt, Ernie Banks was always my favorite baseball player. The guy loved life, and he loved playing baseball. For you Australians out there, most pro baseball games are one ticket, one game. Maximize revenue. But every so often, they'd have a double header, two games for the price of one. It's a long day at work for the players, but Ernie Banks, every time, every game, said "let's play two!" because he loved the game so much.

https://www.npr.org/2015/01/24/379546360/lets-play-two-remembering-chicago-cub-ernie-banks
So as I was writing the recipe for yesterday's Tian, I was thinking of Ernie, because there was another recipe that reminded me to make the one I made. So, I said, Let's Make Two!

Gabrielle Hamilton's Provencal Tian, adapted for KKF'ers

This one is a stovetop recipe, I gotta get a heat diffuser so I can use clay pots on my stove

1-Assemble

Preheat Oven to 400

Get some waxy potatoes, zucchini, onions, super good tomato, fresh thyme and breadcrumbs. Infuse some Olive oil with Garlic

I used 3 small potato,1 good zized zucchini, and 1.5 onions, 1 tomato

Find a stovetop pan that matches your quantity (mine's 18cm)

All the veg gets sliced KKF thin

2-Stovetop

Melt 2 tblsp butter in your pot. Not too hot

Add a layer of 1/3 of the potatoes. Add Salt, Pepper, Thyme, Olive Oil (SPTO)

Add another layer of 1/3 Potato-SPTO

Cover, cook a minute (CCAM)

Add half your Onions-SPTO, CCAM

Add half the Zucchini-SPTO, CCAM

Add remaining Potato-SPTO, CCAM

Add remaining Onions-SPTO

Add Tomatos-SPTO

Sprinkle breadcrumbs on top-SPTO

3-Bake

Cover your pan and put in the oven, let 'er rip for about a half an hour.

Let the tian come together as it rests out of the oven (she says an hour, I'm lucky if I give it ten minutes to cook the fish)

Serve with croutons (goes great with Skate!)
tian2 bread.jpg
tian2 plate.JPG

ps-as with yesterday's, leftovers for lunch are sublime whilst writing up the recipe

Back