Small plate Provencal Tian

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The NY Times published a recipe yesterday for a Tian from a chef I usually love, but that version didn't seem to be what I look for in this dish (it had potatoes and breadcrumbs in it, and it was partially cooked on top of the stove), so I decided to make a more traditional one instead. This version is closely based on a recipe from Dorie Greenspan, but being a loyal KKF'er, I sliced all the vegetables half the thickness she recommended.

I do it in a smallish oval baking dish, mostly because I don't have a round one, which is called a tian in the dialect of the south of france (I think!)

Feel free to improvise, substitute, it's kind of like a standing ratatouille in a baking dish.

1-Prep the Pan

Preheat oven to 400f/200c

Drizzle a couple of tblspns Olive Oil in your baking dish. Coat the sides too.

Add 2 thinly sliced garlic cloves and some thyme sprinkled over the bottom

2-Cut the Veg

Slice (1/8"):
1 Zucchini
1 Small Eggplant
2 Tomatoes
1/2 Big Red onion
Make the slices all about the same size

Rest:
Salt the eggplant and zucchini with a righteous amount of salt and let it rest for a good twenty minutes. I always slice the eggplant first so the salt works it's miracles for the longest time. Couldn't hurt, salt the tomatoes and onions too. (thanks, Chips)

Sliver:
2-3 more garlic cloves. the more the merrier.

Strip:
A good amount of thyme off the stems
Some basil would be okay too

A few bay leaves

Salt the Raw Veg, especially the eggplant and zuchinni

Arrange the vegetables standing on edge in your baking dish as attractively as you can, which is hopefully more attractively than I can. Sprinkle with Thyme as you go

Top the whole shebang with more salt, thyme sprigs, bay leaves, black pepper and a goodly amount of Olive Oil--6 Tblspns or so

3-Cook
Bake uncovered for about 99 minutes and 99 seconds (the limit of my timer). I usually put more thyme sprigs on in the last 15 minutes. I may try to add some raw garlic slivers then too next time.
tianRaw.jpg
tianCooked.jpg

If you have great bread, you're there, if not serve it with some couscous. The sauce it makes is flat out summer.

Last edited:
I know what I'm making Wednesday night! Thanks for sharing. The second batch looks "prettier", maybe it's just the color/exposure or lighting.

I think I'll foil the sides of the dish, it appears that there's plenty of splatters that are inevitable. I usually spend more time scrubbing or using Oven Off to get rid of that stuff, that I might as well shield it with something beforehand.

Is it a sin if one were to dot it with mozzarella?

Chips,

I’m not a cheese eater (intolerant) and it’s pretty traditional without the cheese but I never shy away from modifying a recipe.

it’s not a problem to clean the pan in my experience, but if you add the cheese the pan might be harder to clean. Don’t know.

Hope you enjoy it!

edit-the second batch in the convection oven concentrated and reduced everything better. It’s also 2-3 times the quantity of ingredients

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but it seems the visual impact of a dish like this lays in the precision of how the parts are displayed. I might go with the mandolin instead of just regular knife skills.

It's been a while since I've made something similar to this. There's a lot of recipes online that suggest high heat sautéing of the wet components firsthand before assembly to decrease the "water-logged" effect. I might go back and peruse Thomas Keller's Masterclass videos to see if he's got some advice. Most of what I've seen simply suggests limiting the excess moisture in the onions and zucchini and eggplant. Can't be that difficult!

Depends what you want it to look like; I'm more french farmhouse than Thomas Keller.

I didn't really write to salt the eggplant and zucchini and let it rest, but I do that. I'll edit the original recipe to include this step. Good catch.

So, I basically made a mash-up, when I'm frequently guilty of, looking at a dozen recipes and then building what appeals to me. This attempt (which is just now back in the oven for the final bake) is a combination of both ratatouille and provincial tian. I followed the basic approach of America's Test Kitchen for their quick and easy ratatouille, (no salting/rinsing/pressing of the eggplant) and baked off the first half under very high heat with no lid to reduce moisture. Then followed a basic tian approach with the remainder of the sliced veg.

Got some great bread from a local fancy bakery, I guess I'm skipping protein tonight. I'll post a picture of the final product. The batch made enough for two full size batches and then-some. Hoping it stores well and the black one can be frozen and baked for a later date.

Only thing it's missing (saving for the end) is fresh basil.

83BFA9C7-3D82-48F6-B657-A6851C6C2546.jpeg

IMG_5928.jpeg
IMG_5929.jpeg
IMG_5930.jpeg

I make this quite often....

LOTS Olive oil, some garlic ans fresh Rosemary (cause I got tons of it), then the veggies. I never presalt them, just make sure that tomato sits next to eggplant.

When veggies are assembled I douse them with more olive oil.

j usually cook it for 50 min, then mash it all up and cook it for another 50, turning over veg once or twice again. I often cook it for two hours.

it looks weird but the taste is amazing, especially with fresh bread. And yes, I like it even better the next day (cold)

I just made this last night using Serious Eats' recipe. My first time, it tasted good, but it was so laborious that I don't think I'll make it again anytime soon. Will shove leftovers into a mini baguette though, thanks for the idea!

1nxCsfZ.jpg

I just made this last night using Serious Eats' recipe. My first time, it tasted good, but it was so laborious that I don't think I'll make it again anytime soon. Will shove leftovers into a mini baguette though, thanks for the idea!

1nxCsfZ.jpg

i don’t know that Specific recipe but the one I make I find rather easy (as in: not a lot of work). I mean: there’s some cutting involved but that is a GOOD thing I’d say, given the topic of this forum lol

i don’t know that Specific recipe but the one I make I find rather easy (as in: not a lot of work). I mean: there’s some cutting involved but that is a GOOD thing I’d say, given the topic of this forum lol
Sorry I didn't post the recipe. Here it is Provençal Tian (Eggplant, Zucchini, Squash, and Tomato Casserole) Recipe

I enjoyed the cutting, but not the frying the slices in batch part. By the time I put everything in the oven it was so late and I was so hungry I just made myself an egg sandwich

Yeah, that sounds like a ridiculous amount of work.

i don’t even care if it looks pretty. I cook it into a mush. It’s great. And Even better the next day... really not much work, and I don’t even slice the stuff thinly.

made it just now for my mum actually, timed it: 10 minutes from start till Oven...

I’m with @alterwisser , this dish is easy to make. The one you pictured is not really the recipe I know. Go to post 9 in this thread, I linked to two recipes besides mine. There’s no tomato sauce involved, the whole point is the vegetables make their own sauce. Biggest trick is to give it enough time in the oven

@CiderBear You still have that snazzy gengetsu? That would make short work of this!

Last edited:
Sorry I didn't post the recipe. Here it is Provençal Tian (Eggplant, Zucchini, Squash, and Tomato Casserole) Recipe

I enjoyed the cutting, but not the frying the slices in batch part. By the time I put everything in the oven it was so late and I was so hungry I just made myself an egg sandwich
I was writing above reply, we crossed. The tian is the actual earthenware vessel that the dish is cooked in. In the south of France a tian is like a gratin in the north. A million recipes that are all cooked in the same container.

He’s right to call the dish from the movie a tian because the thing it’s in is round, a gratin is oval.

Give the original recipe a try, pay attention to @alterwisser advice about keeping eggplants next to tomatoes.

The dish from the movie is, to me, ratatouille cooked in a tian. Good movie though!

That’s how I assemble:

eggplants and tomatoes on the outside, then dump layers of Zucchini and onion in the middle... the eggplants nicely soak up the tomato juice ...

after an hour or so I mash it all up and cook another 45 minutes or so.

only salt/pepper, garlic and rosemary... although I’m just making it now with thyme and rosemary

39554954eq.jpeg

39554956um.jpeg

And the glorious mushy result

39555725np.jpeg

Last edited:

You know, I usually like Daniel Gritzker from serious eats a lot, but that was a misleading article. Thomas Keller developed a purposely complex recipe, gritzker had to one up him and poor @CiderBear had to have an egg sandwich for dinner.
Sheesh.
https://portlandfoodanddrink.com/thomas-keller-consults-ratatouille/
By the way, if you haven’t ever read the arguably greatest piece of culinary writing of all time from Marcel Proust you owe yourself a treat. Follow the link below:

http://ww3.haverford.edu/psychology/ddavis/p109g/proust.html

@rickbern and @alterwisser thanks for explaining this to me! I didn't know because I never had Provencal Tian before from anywhere :) I'll try again next time. Had fun with the slicing, just hated everything else in Daniel's recipe. I'll try yours next.

Don't have the Gengetsu anymore, but I cut the vegetables with a Heiji nakiri. Was using a Y. Tanaka gyuto before but it cut wayyyy too quickly so I grabbed the nakiri. Loved how it felt against eggplant.

Will read Mr. Proust's piece a bit later - got homework to do first!

In case folks are only following this thread, here's how mine turned out. I think, on the next attempt (maybe next summer) I'll decrease the amount of tomatoes. At least for me, this much tomato product requires a Zantac or acid-reducer…

I served it over rice, with ricotta over the top, which really elevated the whole dish. Some toast points were useful for scooping up the remainders.

_MG_3626.jpeg

_MG_3628.jpeg

The recipe I posted from saveur was by Lulu Peyraud, who passed away this week. She was a hell of a gal.

“What makes it different from recipes in cookbooks and from restaurant cuisine,” she told Mr. Olney, “is that I am always cooking for someone I love.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/15/...46fb526a&index=3&pgtype=Article&region=footer

Last edited:
@rickbern : Thank you so much for the inspiration!

We had a simple BBQ yesterday, the Tian was our side dish and it was gorgeous. My biggest concern was that there wouldn’t be any leftovers… 😂

So, here is my interpretation of leftover-sandwich with Tian, local goat cheese and homemade Pesto alla Genovese (recipe from Antonio Carluccio). What shall I say?!??

41829612uu.jpeg

Back