PTPF Hiro

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
Pay The Pain Forward Hiromoto :D

I have here a 240mm Hiromoto AS gyuto that I just found in my pile 'O shame that looks to have been a victim of the learning curve of my early thinning work. :eek2:
It appears that I made the blade too thin and pulled a Moritaka job on the edge blowing a hole into it.

To me this is junk and I was about to toss it when it occurred to me that maybe someone might want it to try their hand at a conversion/repair to maybe make something smaller out of it or whatever. I'd prefer to see this get into the hands of someone who is just starting out and needs to take some pain themselves - LOL. :spiteful:

So if you're in the mood to punish yourself here's a great project to do that with. Just let me know and it's yours.

Dave

PS - If you do make something of this I'd love to see some pictures. Don't worry, it couldn't be any worse than what I've done to it. :)

PSS - Sorry I can only ship this inside the US.

P1010011.JPG

P1010001.JPG

P1010002.JPG

P1010004.JPG

P1010007.JPG

P1010009.JPG

P1010010.JPG

Awesome dude, very cool of you. I had a few knives that I could have done this with (which instead got tossed).

Congrats to the unlucky taker... :D

I'd like to have it Dave. Let me know the shipping cost.

Heh...beat me by four minutes. ;-)

It appears that I made the blade too thin and pulled a Moritaka job on the edge blowing a hole into it.

Just wondering - what exactly did you do to it? (... and shouldn't there be laws to stop crimes like this! :O)

Too fine of an angle? inconsistent along the edge? overly ambitious? a slip? ... Must be something like that. I'm curious so I can avoid the same.

Just wondering - what exactly did you do to it? (... and shouldn't there be laws to stop crimes like this! :O)

Too fine of an angle? inconsistent along the edge? overly ambitious? a slip? ... Must be something like that. I'm curious so I can avoid the same.

I don't recall the exact steps that went into this mishap (it was from years ago) but it was likely me trying to thin the entire blade and I just went a little too far. The trick to thinning is to get right down to the cutting edge without grinding into it and that's not always so easy. Back when I first started doing this I hadn't ground any knives of my own so this skill was something that I was very hit or miss on, now it's a lot easier to get consistent results. Yeah this one's a mess. :D

I'd like to have it Dave. Let me know the shipping cost.

Heh...beat me by four minutes. ;-)

I want to say wish I had more to giveaway but that's not the truth here. Still though, I'm sorry that I don't have one for you too.

Thanks a bunch, Dave. Anyone else have a beat up piece of junk, I would be happy to take it off your hands

I don't recall the exact steps that went into this mishap (it was from years ago) but it was likely me trying to thin the entire blade and I just went a little too far. The trick to thinning is to get right down to the cutting edge without grinding into it and that's not always so easy. Back when I first started doing this I hadn't ground any knives of my own so this skill was something that I was very hit or miss on, now it's a lot easier to get consistent results. Yeah this one's a mess. :D

Thanks.

Were you using stones on this? I'm sure with any sort of machine things would go quicker and there'd me more chance of a mess up like this.

That should be pretty fun to practice thinning, re-grinding...could eventually end up a pretty good petty.

Do we know how far the blue steel goes up on Hiromotos? Is it all the way up to the spine?

awesome stuff dave. grats to the new owner.

i just bought this beat up aritsugu santoku knife that had it's core pretty rusted. i'm pretty much bent on restoring the darn thing. punishment? maybe. but i'd be pretty proud of the darn thing and will not sell it after all the work i had put into it.

Back