Public Service Announcement - Career Criminal Selling Fake Maruka Stamped Jnats on Buyee

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Froztitanz

Reaction score
Hi Fellow KKFers,

As a huge Jnat collector and fan of Japanese knives, seeing as this scumbag is relisting this fake Maruka makes my blood boil. Please do not fall prey to his scams.

All that glitters is not gold.

Accounts identified:
Steelkidbmx
leonriki777

At the time of posting this, there are other "Maruka-stamped" jnats being sold by this unscrupulous guy.

Background:
  1. This stone was sold on Mercari for 40k Yen. Visibly, it has no stamps.
  2. Steelkidbmx added some fake "Maruka" stamps and was trying to sell it for 290k Yen.
  3. It was later marked as sold for 290k Yen.
  4. Days later, it was relisted again and pulled by the seller, Steelkidbmx.
  5. Now, it comes with a lovely kiri box for the LOVELY price of 300k Yen and is sold under a different account leonriki777.

Original Post showing no stamps:
1622790927341.png

Fake "Closing Bid" price at 290k Yen.
1622790970868.png

Relisted and pulled listing
1622791008441.png

Leonriki777's listing showing the same fake stamped stone
1622791049099.png

Last edited:
If you want to be ultra conservative when buying stones at auction sites :
  1. Ignore collectible stamps
  2. Assume information is incomplete or wrong at best, and outright lies at worst
  3. Ignore collectible stamps
  4. Don't pay more than you are willing to lose
  5. Ignore collectible stamps

If you arent a collector, focusing on stamps is a bad idea. Assuming a stamp is real, it might put a floor on how bad the stone is (it is unlikely to suck). But that doesnt mean the opposite is true - that a stone with no stamp will suck. Or indeed... that a stone with a stamp is brilliant and exactly what you are seeking.

A stone with no stamp can range from brilliant to terrible but at least you are shopping in a crowd that doesnt inflate prices based on an easily forged stamp. It is better to buy/swap/try stones from reputable sources. Learn what good stones look like... both the surface and the swarf - then start seeking out unmarked 'bargains' based on the knowledge you have accrued - you'll at least be avoiding naive collectors with deep pockets

I understand the collector appeal in seeking stamped stones. But it is a risky game to play at auctions...

Wichtiger Hinweis für unsere Kunden:
Bitte um Vorsicht: Auf der bekannten Plattform E*** Italien werden derzeit japanische hochpreisige Naturschleifsteine verkauft und teilweise mit ungenehmigten Fotoausschnitten unseres Shops beworben. Wir distanzieren uns hiervon ausdrücklich! Bis jetzt wurden hochpreisige Sammlersteine unseres Shops nicht nach Italien verkauft.
from japan-messer-shop.de
A warnig from a reliable german shop. It's about their pics are used by an italian seller on the bay. This warning comes with Nakyama/Maruka.

Beeing no expert I'll stay with reliable sources.

I still remember the day when I went to kyoto and Tokyo to buy stones from reputable stores.

After payment, I was shown a draw of stamps and asked what I wanted it to be stamped with .. that was the day I started to ignore the stamps on stones

After payment, I was shown a draw of stamps and asked what I wanted it to be stamped with .. that was the day I started to ignore the stamps on stones

Holy sh!t

I didnt know it was that conspicuous!!

where can i get me some maruka stamps??

i want to stamp some of my shaptons.

and now it gets quite obvious that the stamps dont mean jack ****! dont get stones based on stamps.
they could all be faked stamped! no one really knows.

where can i get me some maruka stamps??

i want to stamp some of my shaptons.

and now it gets quite obvious that the stamps dont mean jack ****! dont get stones based on stamps.
they could all be faked stamped! no one really knows.

Given @ynot1985 's experience just above, it seems that they are probably mostly fake.

Thanks for the heads up.

Hey @inferno,

I found a super rare stone for you. It is really hard but also muddy. It mirror polishes but has lots of "inner cloud". The slurry becomes black before you use it. It will never scratch. It was hand cut from old stock. The ancient mine is now closed but it was opened by Minamoto Yorimoto. It is said, he personally cut all of the raw stock.

The box has no toxic inclusions. Good for razors, kitchen knives, tools and doors.

Level 7.319
Particle size: H / 10

30% discount to ¥800,000. Now for the special price of $800,000 USD

shapton_maruka.png

if the price difference between 2 stones is like a grand or 2 just because of some stamps.
well guess what. all stones will be stamped.

Hey @inferno,

I found a super rare stone for you. It is really hard but also muddy. It mirror polishes but has lots of "inner cloud". The slurry becomes black before you use it. It will never scratch. It was hand cut from old stock. The ancient mine is now closed but it was opened by Minamoto Yorimoto. It is said, he personally cut all of the raw stock.

The box has no toxic inclusions. Good for razors, kitchen knives, tools and doors.

Level 7.319
Particle size: H / 10

30% discount to ¥800,000. Now for the special price of $800,000 USD

View attachment 130163

can i have it maruka stamped?

WHOA! Nice heads up, it’s obvious games are played with stones but it sounds like it may be on a greater level than I ever knew, nice post!

I still remember the day when I went to kyoto and Tokyo to buy stones from reputable stores.

I 'ld like to know what kind of stamps they offered. To me some nice kanji is ok, many people like it. I hope they don't stamp misleading Information.

Latest posts

Back