Pure proformance

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is from Sheehan's bio. http://www.shihanfineknives.com/about-native/

"While visiting blacksmiths throughout the country I was fortunate to meet one of Japan's master knife-makers, Hiroshi Ashi, who kindly hosted me for the next two years.Thanks to his patronage I studied and practiced with many artisans in the city of Sakai, renown for its cutlery and bladesmithing."

It's not accurate to say he worked under Ashi or considers Hiroshi-san his teacher.
Hiroshi-san hosted him and helped his gain access to a variety of Sakai blade smiths, where he learned his craft.

I have one of his early 52100 kurouchi knives. His workmanship is excellent but the knife is nothing like the Ashi Swedish or White #2 knives I've used.

I got a denka 240 from EE a few weeks ago and it’s been amazing. A lot more expensive than other sources but it brings peace of mind. I was lucky enough to pick one out in person and they have a solid return policy in the event you don’t like it.

I work in a pro kitchen and the edge retention on this knife blows everything else out the water. The finger notch is comfy, balance is perfect, feels like an extension of my arm, and the rustic look has a unique charm to it.

The knife is definitely a little over priced and the performance per dollar can probably be had elsewhere but at this point I don’t really care because I’m happy with what I got. The workhorse gyuto slot in my bag is now permanently filled.

I got a denka 240 from EE a few weeks ago and it’s been amazing. A lot more expensive than other sources but it brings peace of mind. I was lucky enough to pick one out in person and they have a solid return policy in the event you don’t like it.

I stopped into Bernal on Wed and checked out their Denka and Maboroshi knives.
I was at the TF shop in Tokyo in April and the F&F of the knives at Bernal were MUCH better than what I saw in Tokyo.

I stopped into Bernal on Wed and checked out their Denka and Maboroshi knives.
I was at the TF shop in Tokyo in April and the F&F of the knives at Bernal were MUCH better than what I saw in Tokyo.

Interesting. Can you be more specific as to the areas on the knife that were better vs what is sold in TF Japan? Wonder if Bernal pay the EE premium to have a little more care and attention paid to F&F.

TF...if you have to ask "...", the answer is "no, you're not ready". :rofl:

I work in a pro kitchen and the edge retention on this knife blows everything else out the water. The finger notch is comfy, balance is perfect, feels like an extension of my arm, and the rustic look has a unique charm to it.

The knife is definitely a little over priced and the performance per dollar can probably be had elsewhere but at this point I don’t really care because I’m happy with what I got. The workhorse gyuto slot in my bag is now permanently filled.

Congrats on the pickup. EE is definitely steep on TF pricing, but all that matters is you like it. They're certainly excellent performers. Enjoy!

I misspoke when I said he worked under ashi. I didn’t realize he didn’t learn grinding and other tasks from observing ashi. Although he doesn’t say in detail what he learned and where he learned it he does move rather quickly from talking about ashi to learning how to make knives which leaves me to believe much of what he understands he understands because of ashi.

"While visiting blacksmiths throughout the country I was fortunate to meet one of Japan's master knife-makers, Hiroshi Ashi, who kindly hosted me for the next two years.Thanks to his patronage I studied and practiced with many artisans in the city of Sakai, renown for its cutlery and bladesmithing."

It's not accurate to say he worked under Ashi or considers Hiroshi-san his teacher.
Hiroshi-san hosted him and helped his gain access to a variety of Sakai blade smiths, where he learned his craft.

I have one of his early 52100 kurouchi knives. His workmanship is excellent but the knife is nothing like the Ashi Swedish or White #2 knives I've used.

Geez, choosing one is tough. A knife I'm often grabbing is my 240 Kato WH. I've used it for cutting udon noodles, ribs, fine julienne, piles of kale, filleting fish. It's heavier than most of my other gyutos, which hasn't been an issue, pretty nimble for its weight.

So if you guys could pick a workhorse knife no cost factored in what would it be. Anything from a shig to a carter to a Kramer what would it be?

ETPS0My.jpg

Ws1mO6q.jpg

oeEy7qY.jpg

Although he doesn’t say in detail what he learned and where he learned it he does move rather quickly from talking about ashi to learning how to make knives which leaves me to believe much of what he understands he understands because of ashi.

No doubt, especially as Hiroshi Ashi is the only name he mentions. I was just trying make it clear that Sheehan didn't work or learn exclusively at Ashi. His agenda was to learn from a variety of blade smiths and he credits Hiroshi-san with helping to facilitate that...

Nope... he actually worked there under Ashi-San too... totally accurate to say he worked under him

Geez, choosing one is tough. A knife I'm often grabbing is my 240 Kato WH. I've used it for cutting udon noodles, ribs, fine julienne, piles of kale, filleting fish. It's heavier than most of my other gyutos, which hasn't been an issue, pretty nimble for its weight.

ETPS0My.jpg

Ws1mO6q.jpg

oeEy7qY.jpg

Thanks for including the gorgeous art on this one. There are tons of words, but the romance of these fine tools really lives in the visuals.

Back