Q&A section

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Jonas, since you're here and since some of this isn't 100% clear from your website:
1) Which steels are you currently (happily) working with? I know you've offered 1.2519, 26C3, 135cr3 and 14c28n in the past, is that still current?
2) Are your books currently open for customs and if so what is your approximate lead time?
3) is there any sort or schedule or heads up notification system for your available knives?

For anyone without prior experience buying from Jonas his communication is incredibly good and he is a pleasure to deal with.

My website is very messy and this is a good reminder to do something about 😅👍

1) the bulk of my work either have 26c3 or 1.2519 in it, for stainless i prefer 14c28n or damasteel, those are the go to steels but I enjoy working with a bunch of other ones aswell, i'm always open to suggestions but things are obviously limited to supply.
2) No my books are closed until beginning of 2022 as it looks right now, i currently only releases available spots through my newsletter which you can sign up here Subscribe to Newsletter
3) Same here, i pre-release all available knives through my newsletter.

Thanks man 🙏🙏

I definitely like the question on how much and what preferences to impart on a custom or semi-custom. It can be a bit frustrating, especially if there is a bit of a language barrier, on what variation the maker is willing to do/expects you to supply/inflexible on items. I have been lucky enough to have ordered several customs but it has been a completely different experience with each. And asking for the 5th or 6th time on exactly what questions I need to answer can be a bit frustrating. Very pleased with them all but having a sort questionaire for 90% of "customs" would help a lot.

Jonas, I let the last knife I had from you go, but interested on hearing about the potential list and get another.

I hear you, it would be a good thing to have like a standard questionaire to kick off from, it would help with communication 🤔

As mentioned above, custom orders are currently closed, i will release more spots later this year when i see how things are going but there will probably not be anything available until early next year unfortunately 🙏

What are pleasant and unpleasant steel combinations to work with under the hammer? I've heard from some that 52100 can be difficult from hardening during work, but the Swenglish podcast made it sound not too.bad. Personal favorites? I've only really handled mild steel, and hear any high carbon becomes hard work.

How did you first come to start your excellent podcast Knivpodden? (Mostly in Swedish, with one amazing English episode.) Were you drinking with the other two dudes and the idea just came? Is there a story here?

It seems like you hate polishing less than some other makers. Do you have a “standard” level of finish that you usually finish with? Like, do you usually do belt finishes, with kasumi on request, or…?

How much thought do you put into your profiles? Do you just sort of do it and they come out amazing, or do you plan it out ahead of time and make precise decisions to realize your vision?

Knivpodden was born out of lack of any other Scandinavian podcast about knives, Axel contacted me and asked if we should do something and i asked Patrik who i knew before and then the ball was rolling..
It's lonely in the knifemaking business so having "colleagues" and building a community around that was a huge part of it.

I enjoy polishing and i finish everything by hand, I think to date i haven't sent out a knife that hasn't been touched by handsanding or stones on the bevels, this is probably stupid but i suck big time on belt finishes, i need to get better at them.

They pretty much come out as they do, i've never used templates, i was terrible at profiles at first but i've become better over time, i'm also better at spotting bad ones earlier so i can re-make if necessary.
I don't have any sort of cooking background so i have relied heavily on customers feedback and trial and error over time.

What are pleasant and unpleasant steel combinations to work with under the hammer? I've heard from some that 52100 can be difficult from hardening during work, but the Swenglish podcast made it sound not too.bad. Personal favorites? I've only really handled mild steel, and hear any high carbon becomes hard work.
I haven't had any issues with 52100, it is a little bit sensitive with temperature but not nearly as much as some others.
The most pleasant would be mildsteel and 26c3, pretty straight forward and easy to weld and move, wrought is nice too but the perks that comes with it puts it in second place.
The most unpleasent steel i've had under the hammer was the Elmax integral i made recently, that stuff does not want to move, Damasteel is a "walk in the park" to forge compared to Elmax imo.
And high carbon is harder but the more alloys you have the tougher it is to move under the hammer in general, like 26c3 and 52100 moves much easier then 1.2519 for example.

Do you listen music while you work? If so, does your forging music differ from handsanding?

Do you listen music while you work? If so, does your forging music differ from handsanding?
I do, i'm very interested in history so listening a lot to podcast about that, but also audiobooks.
When i'm forging just music though, hard to focus otherwise.
Music depends on the mood of the day more then the task at hand 🙂

Back