QC - Sharpening class and/or master sharpener in Quebec?

Discussion in 'Sharpening Station' started by charlesquik, Jan 6, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Jan 6, 2019 #1

charlesquik

charlesquik

charlesquik

Like the title say, is there any sharpening class happening near Quebec city? If not, is there any professional I can bring my j knives too? I'm still learning my way around sharpening so I don't want to destroy my 400$ takeda.

Thank you,

Chuck

2. Jan 6, 2019 #2

Walla

Walla

Walla

There is au trois pierres...I have no knowledge of what they are able to do...a quick google brought them up...

Lacking that...find a good restaurant and ask them who they trust with their knives...not the kitchen beaters...their own personal knives...

You can also try to contact Peter Nowlan in Halifax...he might know of someone...or you could send them directly to him....

There's also couteaux Diva...that offers sharpening service...try him as well...

Take care

Jeff

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  3. Jan 6, 2019 #3

Sailor

Sailor

Sailor

Hi, Peter Nowlan here in Halifax. (Thank you Jeff). Chuck, I’ve tried to find a service for folks in your area to save them shipping costs. There is a store in Montreal with a Professional sharpener but I’ve been told that he is quite expensive. I get knives sent from Quebec so I’m assuming it’s difficult to locate someone. My email is sharpenerpeter@gmail.com.

My personal opinion is that you should give it a shot yourself. The amount of information on this forum is quite something, there are several excellent sharpeners here who I’m sure will walk you through the process. I recently went through this with a man in Montreal who wanted to send me his knife but he ended up doing it himself and felt really good about it, a real sense of achievement. You won’t ruin your knife, many years ago before the internet I sharpened for years and had no idea what I was doing really, and I never ruined a knife. Think about it.

4. Jan 6, 2019 #4

charlesquik

charlesquik

charlesquik

Honestly I want to do it myself, but I just need someone to check what I'm doing and give me some tips. I have trouble with angle.

5. Jan 6, 2019 #5

Sailor

Sailor

Sailor

If you a problem with angles then this may be the knife for you to make that all go away. I’ll explain:
    Takeda San himself sharpens these knives with a hand held whetstone(s) as you may know. He demonstrates this on YouTube and you’ll soon see that the issue of holding a proper angle vanishes. However a lot of folks don’t have the setup he uses. (I do and it works. So you’re stuck with using water stones. The geometry of Takeda knives makes them easy to sharpen and with no fuss about angle control. Instead you can concentrate on finger positioning while placing the bevel flat on the surface of a 1,000 grit stone for example. (You don’t need or want to raise the spine of the blade off the stone in an attempt to reach a sharpening angle) With your fingers placed up on the bevel, a little ways up from the edge start the sharpening process by applying pressure with your finger tips. You’ll need to reposition your “pressure fingers” closer to the edge to form a burr. You can repeat the process on the other side of the knife. You won’t have an angle problem. I’m just telling you this to encourage you to try. You don’t need to get the knife ready for eye surgery, just make it sharper.
    If you want to order the Takeda hand held stone and follow his lead, it’s very simple. At least you have options.

You don’t need a Master sharpener to sharpen a Takeda, I would not want a knife that I had to rely on a Master sharpener to make it sharp again. The brilliant men who create these knives make them easy for average sharpeners like me to sharpen. If I can do it, you can. It just takes a little courage.?

6. Jan 7, 2019 #6

Colonel Mustard

Colonel Mustard

Colonel Mustard

If I may add my two cents, I'm only really beginning to sharpen and was really nervous at first but it's not so bad. I sharpenened an old Henckels twice before trying my hands on my real knives. I started by just touching up my knives on a 6000 grit stone and then decided to go all the way with my almost new Mazaki gyuto and messed it up. The OOTB edge was really good but I felt it could be better but was now worse. I spent a day grumbling about it and watching Jon's videos again and tried again the day after. It was much better and crazy sharp. All that to say that, it's doable and very satisfying.

As for the sharpener in Montreal, if we're talking about the same one who also sells many japanese knives under a house brand and charges twice (at least) the price he should, he charges 40$ to sharpen a single knife. I know someone else in Montreal does it for around 25$ but have never sent him my japanese knives.

Will all that said, I clearly understand wanting to have someone to guide you for the first few times.

Good luck!

7. Jan 7, 2019 #7

Sailor

Sailor

Sailor

Colonel, yes that’s the fella, $40.00 per knife. Which means the reason I get knives sent to me from various parts of Quebec has nothing to do with my skill, it’s the cost .
    I guess this is a significant topic for me because of the other person I mentioned who wanted to send me knives from Montreal to sharpen. I walked him through it and he has since thanked me many times for the suggestion and encouragement to try it on his own.

Perhaps a video on sharpening this particular knife would help.

8. Jan 7, 2019 #8

charlesquik

charlesquik

charlesquik

You guys are talking about lemouleur haha. I guess its OK to name him and I will personally never deal with such a thief who rebrand knives and steel to sale at 4 time the prices.

I also have a Miyabi koh 8 inch chef knife I bought for 60$ buck on BF.
    Also have a takamura r2 gyuto 210mm.

Guess ill make my teeth on the miyabi because I dont care if I destroy it and its FC61 steel (rebranded VG steel)

9. Jan 7, 2019 #9

Walla

Walla

Walla

Take the plunge...learn to do your own sharpening...many years ago... about 30... Infact almost another life...I brought my knives to a "reputable professional sharpening service" only to have them ground down horribly by an electric grinder...I thought this is horrendous there must be a better way...so I started on my own...no internet...no idea...just some vague recollection of my grandfather and great uncle showing my how to sharpen a pocket knife when I was 8ish...

Where my first attempts perfect...no...did I trash my knives...no...am I the best at sharpening...no...can I get a knife consistently shaving sharp...I can now...due to practice and help from others...in the form of videos, emails and forums...

There are great resources out there on the internet...some are great...most passible...others truly bad...

Don't get hung up on needing certain brands of stones...they won't automatically make you a better sharpener...you can even start off with different grits of sandpaper...

I'd recommend searching out Peter Nowlans videos... Jon at Japanese knife imports...and korin as being great places to start...if you have questions sent them emails...I know from personal experience they take the time to help as much as possible with any questions...no matter how basic you think it is... they're never going to dismiss it...

And as already said...takeda knives are rather easy...they have the angle built in...no guessing...and use the sharpie trick... raise a burr... remove the burr... Follow Peter's levels of pressure... Unless you are using a chunk of concrete you're going to be thrilled how well you are going to do...I still remember how nervous I was when I began... don't let it stop you...

And honestly the Takeda is going to be much easier to sharpen than your other knife...

Good luck...and let us know how it works out... je sais que la plupart des vidéos et informations sont en anglais...j'ai déjà chercher des vidéos en français pour les gars avec qui je travaille (resto a Sherbrooke... longue histoire plate d'un anglophone bilingue d'Ontario qui déménage au Québec) ... malheureusement...il y a des gros lacunes quand on parle de vidéos...

Take care

Jeff

10. Jan 7, 2019 #10

charlesquik

charlesquik

charlesquik

I have a king 1000/6000 combo stone.

I just bought a 1000 shapton glass stone with a stone holder and sink bridge.

Also bought an atoma 140 to flatten my king stone.

11. Jan 7, 2019 #11

galvaude

galvaude

galvaude

Find a standard knife to practice on and go at it. Keep the Takeda for later as you have to keep a very good angle to sharpen the bevels flat like they are to avoid wedging problems and the like.

I would recommend to stick to one stone throughout the firt few sessions so that you get familiar with the feel and feedback. Although the Shapton Glass stone is a very nice stone, the King 1000 gives more feedback and is more forgiving. I have a lot of stones and still enjoy the Kings.

I'm also from Quebec (Saguenay) and there is not a lot of freehand sharpeners in the province, some in Montreal. You could ask around in Sushi shops or other restaurants.

Good luck.

12. Jan 7, 2019 #12

Interapid101

Interapid101

Interapid101

When I saw the title, I thought QC = quality control. Then I read the OP and discovered it was "Quebec City."

Turns out it's "Quality control" after all! :D

charlesquik likes this.