Quality Olive Oil?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Olive oil is like gyutos for me—quite keen on trying out as many different ones as possible. Not tried this yet.

2-Liter_Everyday_B-reduced.png

This stuff is the best finishing EVOO I've ever tried.

https://shop.chacewaterwine.com/Olive-Oil
it'd better be, is that a pharmacy where you buy it? :angel:

Best EVOO I ever had was from a chef I did a series of workshops, Sicilian unfiltered EVOO from his families olive garden (ancient trees), green, grassy, juicy, peppery enough yet not too much and slippery, anything else so far did not come close.

This just shows that translating study results is a profession in itself, (nothing personal)

Participants with higher olive oil consumption were often more physically active, had Southern European or Mediterranean ancestry, were less likely to smoke, and consumed more fruit and vegetables in comparison to those consuming less olive oil.

Olive oil lowers risk of death by up to a third
On average, participants in the highest category of olive oil consumption had about nine grams per day. These individuals made up about five percent of the total study group.

When researchers compared those who rarely or never consumed olive oil, those in the highest consumption category had a 19 percent lower risk of death from cardiovascular disease, a 17 percent lower risk of cancer death, a 29 percent lower risk of death from dementia, and an 18 percent lower risk of respiratory disease death.

The study also found substituting 10 grams/day of other fats – such as margarine, butter, mayonnaise, and dairy fat – with olive oil led to participants having anywhere from an eight to 34 percent lower risk of death from all causes.

The team found no significant associations when substituting olive oil for other vegetable oils.

Study authors note that their review focused on a predominantly non-Hispanic white population of health professionals.

So taking one step back; the conclusion is that replacing margarine, butter, mayonaise (??) and dairy fat with olive oil might be good and NOT that ADDING olive oil is good.

https://www.jacc.org/doi/10.1016/j....82.665324437.1641909501-1178193457.1641909501
Results
During 28 years of follow-up, 36,856 deaths occurred. The multivariable-adjusted pooled HR for all-cause mortality among participants who had the highest consumption of olive oil (>0.5 tablespoon/day or >7 g/d) was 0.81 (95% CI: 0.78-0.84) compared with those who never or rarely consumed olive oil. Higher olive oil intake was associated with 19% lower risk of cardiovascular disease mortality (HR: 0.81; 95% CI: 0.75-0.87), 17% lower risk of cancer mortality (HR: 0.83; 95% CI: 0.78-0.89), 29% lower risk of neurodegenerative disease mortality (HR: 0.71; 95% CI: 0.64-0.78), and 18% lower risk of respiratory disease mortality (HR: 0.82; 95% CI: 0.72-0.93). In substitution analyses, replacing 10 g/d of margarine, butter, mayonnaise, and dairy fat with the equivalent amount of olive oil was associated with 8%-34% lower risk of total and cause-specific mortality. No significant associations were observed when olive oil was compared with other vegetable oils combined.

Conclusions
Higher olive oil intake was associated with lower risk of total and cause-specific mortality. Replacing margarine, butter, mayonnaise, and dairy fat with olive oil was associated with lower risk of mortality.

My personal conclusion: How on earth was this published

Honestly, I LOVE EVOO but the conclusion that going from 1.9 to 4 g/d olive oil has more impact than a reduction in Margarine intake (which by the way used be made with trans fats) from 12g/d to 4g/d eludes me completely.

Results show olive oil consumption increased from 1.6 grams/day in 1990 to about four grams/day in 2010, while margarine consumption decreased from about 12 grams/day in 1990 to about four grams/day in 2010. The intake of other fats remained stable.

WHAT; replacing anything else than Margarine with EVOO is good, huh? Cut down on fake butter !

Last edited:
They might very well be correct in what they're saying but there's no way you can state that based on their data and research. 😐
I understand the popular media overstating research results and pulling them out of context, but I'm surprised the article itself overreaches like that.

The editorial is far more nuanced, I'm baffled how this got through and/or how this journals impact rating got as high as it is o_O

lavialla.com online, they deliver in Switzerland too (they figured that competing within Italy and France, Spain was going to be difficult). Heck they even do UK and the US nowadays.

Or you drive to Arezzo in Tuscany to see the stunning Fattoria, we always thought they had great marketing and a gray steel box as building but everything you see in the brochure and on the site is real life. On the drive over from where we stayed we crossed a bridge (ponte buriano) going back to Michelangelo's days, it's featuring in one of his paintings (Mona Lisa). Super scenic area and a mere 7 hours or so from Basel.

Last edited:
lavialla.com online, they deliver in Switzerland too (they figured that competing within Italy and France, Spain was going to be difficult). Heck they even do UK and the US nowadays.

Or you drive to Arezzo in Tuscany to see the stunning Fattoria, we always thought they had great marketing and a gray steel box as building but everything you see in the brochure and on the site is real life. On the drive over from where we stayed we crossed a bridge (ponte buriano) going back to Michelangelo's days, it's featuring in one of his paintings (Mona Lisa). Super scenic area and a mere 7 hours or so from Basel.
Looks amazing - my kind of olive oil. I will definitely order some - will keep you posted and thanks for sharing. Good olive oil not easy to come by

Don't hold back, I absolutely LOVE their wines and red wine vinegar too...I was going to order a couple of boxes of the Olio Nova bit ended up with two huge boxes full of everything...

I just placed a big order - you were right, got pasta, balasamic, in addition to EVOO😂😂😂

should be great to receive and test out - 6 bottles of EVOO

their Balsamic the aged one is real good, of course no competition for the 40 year old stuff but still!

Looking forward to hear what you think!

I got the aged balsamic actually. Will let you know when it arrives

the check out really confused me - did not how to pay

Olive oil is like gyutos for me—quite keen on trying out as many different ones as possible. Not tried this yet.

View attachment 166094
I may have to try to get over there. It is only a few hours away. I have not seen it in the stores. Where did you buy it?

PS
I found this online.
" Our products can be purchased at Tom Thumb, Whole Foods, Aldi and HEB across Texas!"

Last edited:
I got the aged balsamic actually. Will let you know when it arrives

the check out really confused me - did not how to pay
A little off topic but if you see this Balsamic give it a try. Nice and gloopy with low acidity. Its my go-to Balsamic and widely available in the US. Haven't looked at sources in the EU yet. At about $35 its also cost effective. A little goes a long way
71v43GCihTL._SL1500_.jpg

The editorial is far more nuanced, I'm baffled how this got through and/or how this journals impact rating got as high as it is o_O

Classic case of Big Olive Olive oil controlling by the narrative.

Back