Quantcast

Recipe Requested Queso Dip

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Colin

Reaction score
Something that I have struggled to make in the past is queso. I was wondering what techniques work best in preparing this dish. Double boiler? Cornstarch thickened? Mornay? It would also be helpful to hear your recipes for this dish. Thanks!

applepieforbreakfast

Reaction score
Pretty sure Velveeta is the go-to for "traditional" Tex-Mex queso. Throw in some Rotel, or diced tomatoes, peppers, maybe a little onion, and some cilantro (basically pico de gallo).
Maybe throw in some seasoned ground beef or chorizo for a little extra kick.

Colin

Reaction score
My current recipe uses half white American half pepper jack cheese tossed in cornstarch melted down in a double boiler and thinned with evaporated milk. I finish with cumin, granulated garlic, onion powder, green chilies, and cilantro. I have always been skeptical of Velveeta. Just not my cup of tea. The chorizo is a good tip.

McMan

Reaction score
Wait, Queso's not just velveeta and ro-tel in one of those little crock pots?!

Colin

Reaction score
I would say that adding american cheese in queso has the same effect that velveeta does. Personally, I am not a huge fan of velveeta. The restaurant cooks I have talked to have mentioned supermelt. I wonder how it compares to velveeta?

Bensbites

Reaction score
My current recipe uses half white American half pepper jack cheese tossed in cornstarch melted down in a double boiler and thinned with evaporated milk. I finish with cumin, granulated garlic, onion powder, green chilies, and cilantro. I have always been skeptical of Velveeta. Just not my cup of tea. The chorizo is a good tip.
This sounds delicious!

Michi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, inspired by this thread, I decided to give this a go. I used this recipe for Queso Dip as the starting point.

Modifictions:
  • I added one very finely diced jalapeño chilli.
  • For the cheese, I used 50% mature cheddar, 25% Red Leicester, and 25% mozzarella.
I'm happy with the way this turned out. Very close to what I've eaten at Mexican restaurants.
IMG_3872.JPG