Recipe Requested Queso Dip

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Something that I have struggled to make in the past is queso. I was wondering what techniques work best in preparing this dish. Double boiler? Cornstarch thickened? Mornay? It would also be helpful to hear your recipes for this dish. Thanks!

Pretty sure Velveeta is the go-to for "traditional" Tex-Mex queso. Throw in some Rotel, or diced tomatoes, peppers, maybe a little onion, and some cilantro (basically pico de gallo).
Maybe throw in some seasoned ground beef or chorizo for a little extra kick.

My current recipe uses half white American half pepper jack cheese tossed in cornstarch melted down in a double boiler and thinned with evaporated milk. I finish with cumin, granulated garlic, onion powder, green chilies, and cilantro. I have always been skeptical of Velveeta. Just not my cup of tea. The chorizo is a good tip.

Wait, Queso's not just velveeta and ro-tel in one of those little crock pots?!

I would say that adding american cheese in queso has the same effect that velveeta does. Personally, I am not a huge fan of velveeta. The restaurant cooks I have talked to have mentioned supermelt. I wonder how it compares to velveeta?

My current recipe uses half white American half pepper jack cheese tossed in cornstarch melted down in a double boiler and thinned with evaporated milk. I finish with cumin, granulated garlic, onion powder, green chilies, and cilantro. I have always been skeptical of Velveeta. Just not my cup of tea. The chorizo is a good tip.
This sounds delicious!

So, inspired by this thread, I decided to give this a go. I used this recipe for Queso Dip as the starting point.

Modifictions:
  • I added one very finely diced jalapeño chilli.
  • For the cheese, I used 50% mature cheddar, 25% Red Leicester, and 25% mozzarella.
I'm happy with the way this turned out. Very close to what I've eaten at Mexican restaurants.
IMG_3872.JPG

The restaurant cooks I have talked to have mentioned supermelt. I wonder how it compares to velveeta?
Reading the labels, Super Melt appears to be simpler and contain far fewer "What's that?" type of ingredients. It probably tastes at least as good as Velveeta. :)

I would say Tex-Mex queso dip is Velveeta and Rotel can tomatoes which includes chiles. You can add sausage to kick it up a little.

Back