Quest for the Five Carbon Steels

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I have purchased two different 240mm/8sun Wa-Gyutos now: a Masamoto KS and Mizuno DX(awaiting them to finish it with a lefty grind.)
That’s scratches White 2 and Blue 1 off my list. I would like to get 5 gyutos in the 5 common Carbon steels, however I also want variety in grinds and finish (off to an okay start with 1 mono steel and 1 iron clad.)
So hear is what I need help with, my next three Gyuto purchases need to have the following:
1 White #1
1 Blue #2
1 Blue Super
1 True Laser
1 True Workhorse
1 Damascus Clad
1 Kurouchi or Dark Nashiji
And if possible 1 K-tip

I’m trying to keep these three buys at a total of $1,000 US but am willing to go as high as$1,200.

If you were me, what 3 240 Gyutos would you buy that would satisfy this check list?

I'd buy a maker, not a steel. I'd buy a knife that fits my needs or wants (or at least satisfies my curiosity) in terms of grind and profile.

However, it's your money, so if you must...

Cheapest carbon damascus is probably Tanaka blue2 damascus. Tanaka does a decent blue2 HT.

For AS kurochi, look at Shiro Kamo AS (e.g.: Shinko Selian, others are available under various monikers). Available in Ktip (in fact I think this is the only profile still available at KnS. Hinoura is probably a bit more exxie but always make nice knives.

White1 isn't that common. I don't have any. what properties are you looking for that it provides?

What do you mean by "workhorse"?. A do it all, tougher knife or a heavy, convexed, food release knife or something else?

Zakuri kurouchi in AS would be a true Workhorse that wouldn't blow your budget. Hinoura is a better cutter and thinner but is more just a good knife than fitting any particular extreme like laser/workhorse. I'm not seeing a whole lot out there in white #1 for gyutos, though there was a Konosuke recently sold in BST. JCK's Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan looks interesting to me, though it tops out at 210mm.

I'd buy a maker, not a steel. I'd buy a knife that fits my needs or wants (or at least satisfies my curiosity) in terms of grind and profile.

However, it's your money, so if you must...

Cheapest carbon damascus is probably Tanaka blue2 damascus. Tanaka does a decent blue2 HT.
Been looking at him if I go expensive on the other two. But his knives don’t really thrill me all too much
For AS kurochi, look at Shiro Kamo AS (e.g.: Shinko Selian, others are available under various monikers). Available in Ktip (in fact I think this is the only profile still available at KnS. Hinoura is probably a bit more exxie but always make nice knives.

White1 isn't that common. I don't have any. what properties are you looking for that it provides?

I’ve been looking a lot at Shiro Kamo, he has Blue 2 Damascus and Kurouchi that look laser-ish on cleancut.eu

as for white 1 I may look at TF 240 Nashiji or a Hinoura K-tip stainless clad

there is a lot great knife makers out there, and I think I can accomplish this and get a wide variety.

I’m also considering going two white 2s and going for the Mazaki Korouchi to satisfy my workhorse needs

Zakuri kurouchi in AS would be a true Workhorse that wouldn't blow your budget. Hinoura is a better cutter and thinner but is more just a good knife than fitting any particular extreme like laser/workhorse. I'm not seeing a whole lot out there in white #1 for gyutos, though there was a Konosuke recently sold in BST. JCK's Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan looks interesting to me, though it tops out at 210mm.

jck also has a fu run ka zan as Damascus that’s a true workhorse grind, but I haven’t heard anything about it and worried it might be a wedger. White 1 is a kicker, but Sakai Kikumori has a nice Kurouchi and Hitohora has a great stainless clad k tip

Tried one, but Denka is still the holy grail.

Everyone needs to try a giant “santoku” from Takeda at least once in their life. That would check quite a few boxes there.
Agreed, I was looking into the bamboo leaf ones but I’m starting to think about the regulars too.

So ya as a lineup one of the most prevalent in my head is:
TF 240 white 1 or hitohira k-tip
Kamo 240 dama blue 2
Takeda sassanoha ~240 AS

although it doesn’t cover All my boxes, it’s a pretty wide variety in 3 gyutos, 3 steels, 3 finishes and 3 knives I think will be great compared to the two similar ones I have now( or am about to have.). If anyone has any other suggestions tho, something I’m missing, please let me know

Back