Question About Rusting and Wood-Glued Sayas

Discussion in 'Handiwork Display' started by JAMMYPANTZ, Oct 31, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Oct 31, 2019 #1

JAMMYPANTZ

JAMMYPANTZ

JAMMYPANTZ

Hi everyone!

I'm not sure if this has been answered on the forum (I'm sure it has and I'm too lazy to look haha!) - I just finished three-hours worth of annoying saya-making only to find out that the wood glue that I used (Titebond III) may cause steel to rust even after it's been dried and cured? Here and here.

IMG_0018.jpg

But apparently, wood glue has low pH, i.e. high acidity?? For those who have made their own says with wood glue (Titebond, Elmers, etc.), have you encountered any rusting on your knives? Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  2. Oct 31, 2019 #2

Bensbites

Bensbites

Bensbites

I have not, but my sayas are only used for travel storage. I always considered the wood from sayas to hold enough moisture to concern me. I have advised my saya clients not to use them for long term storage without vci paper.

JAMMYPANTZ likes this.
  3. Oct 31, 2019 #3

Jon-cal

Jon-cal

Jon-cal

I haven’t experienced this with titebond. I have, however, seen certain kinds of wood cause severe reactions when in contact with carbon steel. Purpleheart in particular caused crazy rusting. Will never use that again...

4. Oct 31, 2019 #4

toddnmd

toddnmd

toddnmd

Supporting Member

I’ll agree that the primary use of a saya is for protection in transport. Not really recommended for long term storage, particularly for carbon or even semi-stainless.

JAMMYPANTZ and Bensbites like this.
  5. Oct 31, 2019 #5

JAMMYPANTZ

JAMMYPANTZ

JAMMYPANTZ

Got it. Good to know! I've been keeping my knife in vci paper, but good to know that sayas primarily shouldn't be used for more than transportation purposes.

Thanks everyone!

6. Oct 31, 2019 #6

Bensbites

Bensbites

Bensbites

FYI, Vci paper has an expiration date. Generally it is two years.

7. Nov 1, 2019 #7

inferno

inferno

inferno

i dont see how that saya/glue combo would rust the blade more or less than any other wood. drill a hole at the bottom so you can let air out if the says is ultra tight.

only thing i heard about wood rusting steel is oak and it was probably just BS.

just oil the blade, done.