Question about TF Maboroshi

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Koakuma, Sep 16, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Oct 18, 2019 #301

TSF415

TSF415

TSF415

Supporting Member

This forum is like the group of friends my mom told me not to hangout with. Lol

The activity of this thread influenced my impulse buy on a maboroshi from instagram today.

2. Oct 18, 2019 #302

CiderBear

CiderBear

CiderBear

The homebutcher one ?

3. Oct 18, 2019 #303

M1k3

M1k3

M1k3

When are you going into the TF shop and picking out a Denka or five?

CiderBear likes this.
  4. Oct 18, 2019 #304

TSF415

TSF415

TSF415

Supporting Member

@CiderBear yup. That’s the one. I had rationalized getting a knife that size being that I have mostly 240’s 270’s. And then that popped up and boom. Impulse buy away

CiderBear likes this.
  5. Oct 18, 2019 #305

lemeneid

lemeneid

lemeneid

TFTFTFTFTF

Next Friday or Saturday, TF Denka calls out to me :)

TFTFTFTFTFTFTFTF

If anyone’s interested, I can open up a Telegram group or something so you can ask questions on the spot. Just here to help the folks who can’t make it there out :)

jonnachang and M1k3 like this.
  6. Oct 18, 2019 #306

CiderBear

CiderBear

CiderBear

@TSF415 congrats!! That's an interesting size, my guess is that it's an oversize 195mm :) I hope you enjoy yours.

@lemeneid that's a very generous offer, thank you. I'm just really curious about these elusive "store exclusives" that people keep mentioning yet nobody seems to have decent pictures of :p please make a photo-heavy post (if you're allowed to take pictures and such) for us at home :D

7. Oct 18, 2019 #307

lemeneid

lemeneid

lemeneid

TFTFTFTFTF

There are pics of store exclusives, I’ve seen them floating around here. The ones of stag handles, red handles and honyakis. And for sure, I’ll take as many pics as I can of the place ;)

I’m on the plane now though, headed to Hokkaido before going to Tokyo and visiting TF. If anyone is around in Tokyo next week, maybe we can grab a drink together or something too :)

8. Oct 18, 2019 #308

CiderBear

CiderBear

CiderBear

Have a safe flight and fun trip!

9. Oct 18, 2019 #309

TSF415

TSF415

TSF415

Supporting Member

Haha. At this rate probably next week.

10. Oct 19, 2019 #310

IsoJ

IsoJ

IsoJ

Supporting Member

This thread has made me looking for a TF...I know I shouldn't...

11. Oct 19, 2019 #311

SilverSwarfer

SilverSwarfer

SilverSwarfer

Me too. It happened to me too. I got my Denka today. Just finished handle install. Haven’t cut anything but it feels pretty awesome on the stones!

Attached Files:

WPerry and M1k3 like this.
  12. Oct 19, 2019 #312

lemeneid

lemeneid

lemeneid

TFTFTFTFTF

Let us know how it cuts :)

13. Oct 21, 2019 #313

SilverSwarfer

SilverSwarfer

SilverSwarfer

I’ve put a tiny bit of work in, with the TF. Also spent some time on the stones.

This is not a miracle knife. Nor is it head and shoulders above other well-regarded AS core SS clad Gyuto (I have a few that qualify IMO Takeda, Hinoura, Masakage Koishi).

It is definitely an excellent knife. The heat treat, in my opinion earns its well regarded status honorably. The F&F in my case: I can only partially comment because I bought a blade only, without handle. The blade road has low spots, some relatively significant but none are catastrophic. I think all my knives came with low spots and I’m not displeased with my TF in the least. It will take a lot of time and effort to flatten but I’m not concerned with the imperfections.

I bought the knife to perform; not pretend. And it certainly delivers so far.

Overall I’m really happy with the purchase. This is not a high value bargain knife. It’s expensive for what it is, but it’s unique enough to appeal.

YMMV: you don’t have to spend this much to get good performance. For this price, however I got what seems like it will prove to be an elite performer. Keep in mind this is not a complete assessment but an initial impression.

The pic is a bit of scallion I cut after breaking down and dicing 2 whole pineapples, fruit for 4 smoothies, and a basic dinner for 2. Kirenaga is impressive! The edge still has enough bite to shave scallions without any touch ups on the stones or strop.

Attached Files:

14. Oct 21, 2019 #314

lemeneid

lemeneid

lemeneid

TFTFTFTFTF

That’s gr
    thats awesome. Now thin the knife and put a good jnat edge on it. TF of all knives benefit most from a jnat edge, especially the Denka which becomes insanely sharp and aggressive after. Synths really don’t do Denkas any justice, or any knife for that matter. But once you put a good Aizu or Aoto, or even finer edge on it, it really shines!

And definitely the Denka has the best heat treat in the industry. The edge is so stable even with such acute angles and it takes and holds that edge for the longest time. I’ve a Maboroshi and Denka side by side for a while now. And I’m giving both 50/50 duties for them. The Denka definitely has held up against the Maboroshi and against other knives.

jonnachang likes this.
  15. Oct 21, 2019 #315

lemeneid

lemeneid

lemeneid

TFTFTFTFTF

Anyway, an update from Gaku, he's going to set aside some knives for me when I visit the store. Says stock is a little low now, but I should be able to grab one to my liking I guess. I'll probably pick a 240 denka and maybe a 180 nakiri if budget permits. I'll probably also grab a kamisori if they have nice ones.

BTW, if anyone wants a "live stream" PM me your telegram and I'll put as many pics as I can when I visit. If anyone has any questions they would like fielded, do let me know too. Just trying my best to get the TF name out there and help the folks out here who can't visit a little.

TFTFTFTFTFTFTF

jonnachang and CiderBear like this.
  16. Oct 21, 2019 #316

nyc

nyc

nyc

I emailed the store some weeks back but got a reply from Naoko. How did you reach Gaku? I’m hoping to have some samples to choose from when I drop by in December.

17. Oct 21, 2019 #317

lemeneid

lemeneid

lemeneid

TFTFTFTFTF

Should it matter? Its a common email we're emailing, and anyone can respond to it I guess.
    Anyway I do hope you get a nice knife too :)

18. Oct 21, 2019 #318

nyc

nyc

nyc

Actually it shouldn’t. But we went round in a bit of a circle regarding VAT and de-taxing. So I never ventured further to talk about stock to choose from- at least not until I firm up my date to visit the shop. So I thought Gaku might be the go-to person since he’s always mentioned. But never mind. I was just wondering if Gaku could be reached directly instead of via the common shop email.

19. Oct 21, 2019 #319

Corradobrit1

Corradobrit1

Corradobrit1

Gaku isn't always available. Sometimes he's in the Tokyo store sometimes like this week he's at the factory in Ibaraki. His responses to me often correlate to his availability at the store. And he doesn't have a personalized contact email.

CiderBear likes this.
  20. Oct 21, 2019 #320

Corradobrit1

Corradobrit1

Corradobrit1

Good to know. I've reached a point in my knife buying collection that I'm shifting focus now to upping my sharpening game. Jnat buying is such black art from what I can tell. Plenty of fake ones, stones with poor sharpening performance etc. Any guides besides buying from a trusted seller you can offer?

CiderBear likes this.
  21. Oct 21, 2019 #321

CiderBear

CiderBear

CiderBear

Speaking of sharpening, I just ordered a Gesshin Synthetic Natural from Jon. I can't wait to try it with the Morihei. I have a feeling they'll like each other a lot

22. Oct 21, 2019 #322

tgfencer

tgfencer

tgfencer

Supporting Member

In short-no. Everybody who has gone deep into jnats has their own guidelines, little tips and tricks, an eye developed by personal experience, etc, etc, but none of it is foolproof. If you can't see it and test it beforehand, you won't know for sure. That's why trusting the seller/vendor is important, they're essentially doing testing and inspecting for you and then turning around and telling you on their reputation that it's a good stone. Even then, different expectations, skill levels, personal preferences, and other factors can impact perceptions.

If you want a sure thing, stick to synthetics. With jnats, the closest you can get to a sure thing is trusting the seller. Otherwise, speculation, guesswork, and luck while exploring other avenues of acquisition may well lead you to disappointment, success, and the increasingly rare bargain.

23. Oct 21, 2019 #323

Marek07

Marek07

Marek07

Supporting Member

You have my Telegram so please click and send to your heart's content... and mine too! :D

jonnachang likes this.
  24. Oct 21, 2019 #324

lemeneid

lemeneid

lemeneid

TFTFTFTFTF

That’s one way to look at it. The other way is that there is no bad stone, only bad ones with lots of lines and inclusions.

I just buy tons of stones on ebay and buyee and make them work for me. If all you want is to sharpen, just buy cheap nats. No point buying from Maxim or Takashi unless you want to drop some cash on a unicorn stones which are valued purely on asthetics.

25. Oct 21, 2019 #325

tgfencer

tgfencer

tgfencer

Supporting Member

That is also entirely valid. No one needs a $500 dollar stone anymore than they need a $500 dollar knife.

26. Oct 21, 2019 #326

inferno

inferno

inferno

or you can just buy 2 synths like shapton pros. cost almost nothing.

27. Oct 22, 2019 #327

lemeneid

lemeneid

lemeneid

TFTFTFTFTF

Can’t get a sharp and aggressive edge with a synth though. And a Shapton Pro which will do justice to a TF costs $300 so you’re still better off getting a jnat for $200 and spending the other $100 on a kiridashi to practice with.

28. Oct 22, 2019 #328

lemeneid

lemeneid

lemeneid

TFTFTFTFTF

But, but, but. Teeeeee Eeeffffffffff.........

CiderBear likes this.
  29. Oct 22, 2019 #329

Alder26

Alder26

Alder26

I have to say that I just bought a jumble of left over pieces of nats from watanabe and one of them is a new favorite stone for me. It's probably the most inconvenient shape ever but it works great, and a square peice of the same stone wouldve been 4-6x the price

30. Oct 22, 2019 #330

lemeneid

lemeneid

lemeneid

TFTFTFTFTF

Yup
    yup, koppas are a great way to start if you can’t afford a full sized stone or if the full sized stone is impossibly expensive.

DitmasPork likes this.