Question about TF Maboroshi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Corradobrit1 oh my gosh, a nakiri version exists?? You're killing me!

Mine should get here next week. I'm very excited for it. I should thank you again for telling me about it :) I'm sure @Koakuma is thankful also. Always happy to see a thread with a happy ending ;)
I am very grateful for sure :) Super happy I was able to get a hold of a 240mm ku Morihei. Glad that you were able to grab a 210mm as well.

@Koakuma have you had more chance to play with it yet? Do you like it more than your old TF? :p
I haven't used it since last prep. I did however sharpen it with 1k and 3k stones. Right now this knife is hair shavingly sharp. Definitely loving the KU way more than the old TF haha. I love the the fact this knife isnt very reactive yet takes on great patina. I can say for sure that I am very comfortable using it in professional kitchen.

I haven't used it since last prep. I did however sharpen it with 1k and 3k stones. Right now this knife is hair shavingly sharp. Definitely loving the KU way more than the old TF haha. I love the the fact this knife isnt very reactive yet takes on great patina. I can say for sure that I am very comfortable using it in professional kitchen.
I concur it gets wicked sharp with virtually no effort. I was using a Gesshin 4K which is on the more abrasive side of 4K, more like a 2-3K. Easily passes my leg hair shaving test;)
Its reactivity characteristics are what really endear me to the Ku finish. Its also got the most perfect profile and tip for the how I use a 240 gyuto in the home.

I'm on the lookout for a new 240 with a little weight to it as well.
These seem like a great alternative.
@Corradobrit: Do you contact thebladerunner for shipping outside Australia, since international is not an option on their site?

I'm on the lookout for a new 240 with a little weight to it as well.
These seem like a great alternative.
@Corradobrit: Do you contact thebladerunner for shipping outside Australia, since international is not an option on their site?
Yes, contact them directly. They will send you a quote incl shipping to your country. I paid $40 Aussie for the 240 Ku shipped EMS to USA. For the 210 they threw in shipping for free as I was a returning customer. Super easy to work with
https://www.facebook.com/thebladerunner.newcastle/.

With the exchange rate, buying from Australia is a no brainer.

Much appreciated!
I don't think they have anymore 240 Ku's but it may be worth contacting Hitohira who are the primary conduit through which these knives flow overseas. Morihei doesn't sell via mailorder

I can't understand why you keep complaining about this.
EE and Bernal and other TF retailers don't care. They do business with TF knowing his direct prices.
The retailers who don't like it stopped selling TF.
This is how the free market works.
Calling this idiotic, naive or undercutting is wrong.

Do you really think it would be better if TF increased his prices so we couldn't buy direct cheaper?
Who would that help?
Are you equally upset by Heiji "undercutting" JKI?
Is that ok because Jon ads value with his QC and service.
EE and Bernal ad value to their TF price too by offering free initial sharpening , QC, easy returns etc.
Why are you ok buying Heiji from JKI but think the TF model is unacceptable?

Having the same price everywhere in the world is not an even playing field. Costs are different everywhere.
Retailers fix their prices based on a large number of criteria including their actual costs as well as any contractual pricing agreements. It doesn't always equal the same price in all world markets.

Consider the "Big Mac index" which measures the cost of living in different markets based on the price of a Big Mac in different countries. Costs and therefore prices are different everywhere.

Japanese consumers are used to paying more for imported items than those items' cost in the items home country.
They are not offended. It's one reason they love to travel and shop...to get "bargains".
If you ever get to Japan, go price brands like Alden shoes or Leica or Haliburton...you'll see how it works.

I'll give you a simple example since you have a Leica.
Price the little Q2 (model 19050) direct from Leica Germany. Price is 4995 Euros
https://www.leica-store-muenchen.de/en/product/15155/leica-q2-black

Same camera from Leica direct in Japan is 748000 Yen or 6345 Euro
https://store.leica-camera.jp/products/detail/883

So Leica sells the same camera in Germany for over 20% less than it sells for in Japan.
Is Leica idiotic and undercutting its Japan retailers?
BTW this same camera is only $4995 MSRP in the US.
Would you be happier if Leica charged the Japan price in the US ($6900) so we have an "even playing field"?

It's great that some knife brands have pretty uniform pricing, but it's not the only correct way to do business.
Please try to be more open minded and less judgmental...

Just my opinion of a peculiar way of selling knives that goes counter to what I believe are good business practices. Calling a knife maker choice of undercutting his/her's vendor as "idiotic or naive" is certainly not "wrong," but simply one valid viewpoint among many.

Just my opinion of a peculiar way of selling knives that goes counter to what I believe are good business practices. Calling a knife maker choice of undercutting his/her's vendor as "idiotic or naive" is certainly not "wrong," but simply one valid viewpoint among many.
At the same time, distributor/wholesaler cost is always much lower than retail. TF definitely falls in this category. Bernal, etc are retailers, so their prices are definitely much higher. Sure, you can buy direct from TF at a much lower cost, but you have to deal with language differences, problems with warranty, etc. Of course you can visit the TF shop and get it there but you need to pay for a nice plane ticket. If you buy retail, you get english speaking staff, warranty, and QC. Thats the benefit and thats why retail is always going to be slightly higher.

At the same time, distributor/wholesaler cost is always much lower than retail. TF definitely falls in this category. Bernal, etc are retailers, so their prices are definitely much higher. Sure, you can buy direct from TF at a much lower cost, but you have to deal with language differences, problems with warranty, etc. Of course you can visit the TF shop and get it there but you need to pay for a nice plane ticket. If you buy retail, you get english speaking staff, warranty, and QC. Thats the benefit and thats why retail is always going to be slightly higher.

Cheers. Yes, I do understand the mechanics of how things work—I’m under do allusion that it’ll change, but just don’t view it as ideal.

I tried to put a new edge on the Morihei last night with a set of Gesshin 2k and 4k I'm borrowing, and that knife put a stupid grin on my face.

Maybe that was because I worked on it after struggling with a White #2 knife that shall not be named for a good chunk of time, but holy crap, TFTFTFTFTFTF

I tried to put a new edge on the Morihei last night with a set of Gesshin 2k and 4k I'm borrowing, and that knife put a stupid grin on my face.

Maybe that was because I worked on it after struggling with a White #2 knife that shall not be named for a good chunk of time, but holy crap, TFTFTFTFTFTF
Welcome to the club. TFTFTF Club

Honestly though, it's it just White 1? or is it TF's special White 1?
@lemeneid I'm guessing Denkas don't feel as nice on the stone... right? (please say yes. I'm so broke)
According to TF the steel is NOT white 1. Its a special order steel with slightly more carbon content than W#1. Suits their manufacture processes better apparently. Denka's take more work but the advantage is the edge lasts longer. In the home kitchen I don't think you'd notice much of a difference tbh. Your wallet can relax.....

@Corradobrit1 All I can hear is that my rule of one knife one steel each rule can be relaxed since the Morihei isn't true White 1. So I still have room for a White 1 :rolleyes:
There you go.... Start saving for the BF/CM sales with clear conscience. You can also get a Denka and still not break your rule by getting another AS blade

I am having hard time believing that one single maker would be able to get a special composition steel from Hitachi. I mean, it is not impossible, but I keep hearing that quite some JP makers have hard time ordering ‘normal’ white or blue steel because they are not ordering large enough quantities.

I am having hard time believing that one single maker would be able to get a special composition steel from Hitachi. I mean, it is not impossible, but I keep hearing that quite some JP makers have hard time ordering ‘normal’ white or blue steel because they are not ordering large enough quantities.
No reason for my source to exaggerate, and TF is a big enough producer to justify large orders of steel. I know the Nashiji gyuto W#1 does not behave like Maboroshi and Morihei Hisamoto W#1, so I'm falling on the side of truth.

Fully agree, but its not hard to find good ones. Its the bad ones that are more likely to end up on BST

I got my hammer finish stainless clad TF white #1 on BST for around 100.00 less than new. It had never been sharpened or used at all. Maybe just to cut a few items. A few members were concerned about the grind. I jumped on it chance to try a TF. It is 54mm at heel, 213mm long. Wa handle just how I like them not to long not to thin have large hands.

Sometimes use the notch, not always. The grind is thicker up top & thins to the edge starting right below the hammer marks. It is a good cutter.

Keep seeing folks wondering if full carbons work well in pro kitchen. That's where a full carbon works best hours a day every day. At home still have KU carbons. Since retired most gyuto carbon core stainless clad like the TF. I will not sell this knife it's a keeper.

Back