Question about TF Maboroshi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koakuma

Reaction score
I recently bought a TF Maboroshi 240 Gyuto. Its pretty thin behind the edge, but to my surprise it wedges on larger vegetables. I was cutting a large white onion at work, when i tried to cut the onion in half, it stop complete half way through. Did i get one with a bad grind? or is this normal for TF Maboroshi?

Post some pics including the choil. That could be quite informative.
Have you put your own edge on the blade or still working with the factory edge?
Did you buy from TF direct or one of the US/Canada retailers?

I bought it from Knifewear, and i have not sharpen it yet. It came sharp ootb. Whats the best way to upload pics?

I’m very interested in the views here as I’m considering picking up one when I’m in Tokyo year end.
I’ve read that TFs need to be thinned. That said there was another opinion I read where thinning was discouraged and that it should be left more as a “workhorse”.

It does not feel rough. Although as I tried to feel for the blade after i wash it with soap, it feel a bit sticky to the touch. Not sure if that was the cause for wedging.

Curious why the kanji is different. Thats not standard TF Mab marking.
Edit. Looks like Knifewear have spec'ed a diff marking for their Mabs.

Maybe the pic but the edge profile doesn't look right. Does it hit the board smoothly without holes as you progress from heel to tip?

Last edited:
I did a google search on TF Maboroshi to see what the normal marking looks like and it looks like its stamped. The one i have looks more chiseled. Maybe its a knifewear thing?

Curious why the kanji is different. Thats not standard TF Mab marking.
Edit. Looks like Knifewear have spec'ed a diff marking for their Mabs.

Maybe the pic but the edge profile doesn't look right. Does it hit the board smoothly without holes as you progress from heel to tip?
Good eye, it does have a bit of gap on the flat spot.

That could be indicative of poor grind further up the blade and that could be contributing to the problem. When did you receive the knife. I would call Knifewear tomorrow and discuss the problem. Insist on a replacement.

Its about 3 weeks. I went and polished and rounded the spine tho. i wander if that would cause some problem for replacing. This knife have the roughest spine I've ever seen.

Its about 3 weeks. I went and polished and rounded the spine tho. i wander if that would cause some problem for replacing. This knife have the roughest spine I've ever seen.
That could be an issue. They should be able to fix the edge though and ensure any low spots in the blade road are removed. Its probably a good experience to always check blades for overgrinds, edge weirdness and ensure the blade is straight OOTB.

Just be aware that to fix holes/overgrinds the height of the blade may be reduced and you might lose some length if the blade road is reprofiled.

It's very difficult to say from just these pictures, as the light can play tricks on you, but to me it almost looks like it was ground to accommodate a left handed user.
In the pictures the grind looks mirrored compared to every example of a TF I've handled, with a flatter right face and more convexed left face.
As to your original question, a Maboroshi should absolutely NOT wedge much or at all when halving an onion, so I would definitely talk to Knifewear about it.

Update: I contacted Knifewear and they are fine with me returning or exchange it even with the polished spine. Great customer service over there.
Superb service. Have you decided to get a replacement?

I think I’ll probably just return it and hoping to buy one in person down the line.
If you like the TF aesthetic and Ht, but feel burned by the poor grind, which your example clearly exhibited, take a look at the Morihei Hisamoto W#1. Its basically a rebadged Maboroshi from TF with a Jnat edge and blade road polish (by Morihei). This eliminates those frequent 'oddities' that come out of the TF factory. I have a 240 with Ku finish arriving tomorrow and I'll report back once I've used it for a bit and compare to my 210 Denka and Nashiji.

https://carbonknifeco.com/products/morihei-hisamoto-white-1-gyuto-240mm-fine-finish

If you like the TF aesthetic and Ht, but feel burned by the poor grind, which your example clearly exhibited, take a look at the Morihei Hisamoto W#1. Its basically a rebadged Maboroshi from TF with a Jnat edge and blade road polish (by Morihei). This eliminates those frequent 'oddities' that come out of the TF factory. I have a 240 with Ku finish arriving tomorrow and I'll report back once I've used it for a bit and compare to my 210 Denka and Nashiji.

https://carbonknifeco.com/products/morihei-hisamoto-white-1-gyuto-240mm-fine-finish

That looks lovely. Do they have wa handles?

Oh wow, that’s good to know. I might have to try that. Too bad it’s oos. I would love to hear from you how it compares to your proper TF.

Back