Question about TF Maboroshi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its a fairly obscure variant that flew under the radar. I don't think many were produced. Most of Hitohira's western distributors got a couple of each version and length.

Last edited:
I did a google search on TF Maboroshi to see what the normal marking looks like and it looks like its stamped. The one i have looks more chiseled. Maybe its a knifewear thing?
I did a google search on TF Maboroshi to see what the normal marking looks like and it looks like its stamped. The one i have looks more chiseled. Maybe its a knifewear thing?
OFcQVuMD (2).jpeg
TF engraving my knife

Its a fairly obscure variant that flew under the radar. I don't think many were produced...

AFAIK there is nothing unqiue or rare about them, they are just TF's OEM configuration(s). You can also find them at Tsubaya, althought Tsubaya lists the Gyuto in stainless, they sell other shapes in both stainless and the KU iron cladd. TF webstite's retail prices were generally used/matched by the OEM dealers for many years. The KU irond clad are basic, entry level versions sold at low prices. Makes sense for TF as the OEM stuff therefore does not compete as much with his own-name versions directly on either price/features, and the knives are more plausibly 'hosue' brand in trade dress (no finger choils, etc).

AFAIK there is nothing unqiue or rare about them, they are just TF's OEM configuration(s). You can also find them at Tsubaya, althought Tsubaya lists the Gyuto in stainless, they sell other shapes in both stainless and the KU iron cladd. TF webstite's retail prices were generally used/matched by the OEM dealers for many years. The KU irond clad are basic, entry level versions sold at low prices. Makes sense for TF as the OEM stuff therefore does not compete as much with his own-name versions directly on either price/features, and the knives are more plausibly 'hosue' brand in trade dress (no finger choils, etc).
You may well be right. I can only go by what I see on other vendor websites. What seems to be the USP is the Morihei Jnat finish that really helps to eliminate the biggest issue with TF ie inconsistent grinds. For this alone I think they are worth seeking out. Mine is on the USPS truck today, and its one of my most keenly anticipated knife purchases. TFTFTF

Its their last one. Actual specs are a little different to the ones they pulled from the Hitohira website. The one Ai and Om have is 248x55 and weighs 257g. Those specs might be more appealing to some. It does seem to have above average handle F&F.
And sold. Someone made a wise choice.

I will update when the knife comes in. :)
Just got mine. I'll post some pics later along with my other 'unique' Ku finished TF knives. At first look its a really nicely finished blade. 247x53 240g. No holes, low spots or sharp edges (except the cutting edge:)). Balances perfectly at the 2 finger pinch grip. Morihei did a nice job on the Jnats which I think takes the regular TF Maboroshi line to a new level.

The Hisamoto stainless is Maboroshi.

The Hisamoto ku ironclad is Nashiji?

The Hisamoto stainless is Maboroshi.

The Hisamoto ku ironclad is Nashiji?
No. Confirmed by TF directly. Morihei Hisamoto Ku is just soft iron cladding in lieu of the SS. Same core steel and HT. In other words the Ku is not prelaminated bar stock but is forge welded in-house by TF. The final blade aesthetic is 'nashiji' though as opposed to the semi-polished/hammered Maboroshi

I haven’t had the chance to use it yet and it’s not with me currently. I liked the profile and looking forward to put it in action once it comes back to me.

Just got the knife in today. Did a quick test on an apple, no wedging yet. The grind looks good too. I’ll post pics later.

Here are some pics. https://imgur.com/a/b2x1si0

The handle remind me of the Maboroshi that I had. This is the first knife where I can actually see the San mai construction on the spine. The spine itself is a little bit better polished than the Maboroshi but that isn’t great since Maboroshi’s spine was one of the worst I’ve seen. Because it’s ku finish, I don’t think I should polish it. This blade is thinner than Maboroshi, spine at the heel is 2.9mm. Does not have much of taper at all. Will update more after taking it to work and see how it performs.

@Koakuma thank you! Keep us posted

I was told by a vendor that morihei will not be producing the 240mm variation of this knife anymore. If so you truly got the last one ;)

Back