Question about TF Maboroshi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes noticed the gap on yours. Mine is flush and works well with pinch grip. Looks like it is sealed with wax. As I've said like the handle because it is more robust. Some work gloves wear large some need X large esp. plastic throw all way kind. I was thinking to rehandle this knife, but the handle works for me so no need.

Yes noticed the gap on yours. Mine is flush and works well with pinch grip. Looks like it is sealed with wax. As I've said like the handle because it is more robust. Some work gloves wear large some need X large esp. plastic throw all way kind. I was thinking to rehandle this knife, but the handle works for me so no need.
The handle on my old Mab was nice and large too, it was the nicely finished actually.

The gap is gone. Gentlemen dressed to kill
POxFpcI.jpg

This would be my first time ordering direct from TF. Was going to start a new thread but figured I would post here. Was looking at petties. Don’t have any smaller knives. Lately I’ve been wishing I had one. Instead of a petty I want a 180 gyuto. I was thinking either Watanabe or TF. I think this would be a good opportunity to give TF a shot. I’ve always wanted to. Im not handle picky. Wa or yo is fine. However, the last thing I want is a blade to show up with terrible issues. How exactly do you guys word these emails? If someone could walk me through it slightly, I would appreciate it. I think a denka is out of my price range so I would be going for a Mab. I’m not looking for a beefy 180. However I do want the heel height, an even grind ( obviously ), and one that’s going to be a touch on the thinner side when it comes to behind the edge. Do I just reach out to these guys and let them know exactly that? And am I betting off going for the wa or yo handle?

MAb is a good pick, that’s what I got too.

Just put your wishes in the note while ordering, they will email you & give you pictures to choose from, also info. on weight/length/height. You can select based on weight & heel height etc. from available stocks.

You can’t really see how thin behind the edge but you can see the evenness of the grind, that should be a good indicator of the work.

I did had to thin mine but that’s because I requested heavy with low heel height for a WH version. Most of Higher blades tends to be thinner naturally & most of the current MAbs are light/medium weight.

Just put your wishes in the note while ordering, they will email you & give you pictures to choose from, also info. on weight/length/height. You can select based on weight & heel height etc. from available stocks.

You can’t really see how thin behind the edge but you can see the evenness of the grind, that should be a good indicator of the work.

I did had to thin mine but that’s because I requested heavy with low heel height for a WH version. Most of Higher blades tends to be thinner naturally & most of the current MAbs are light/medium weight.
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply

I can’t decide if I should go wa or yo handle :D

Many have gone through the tough Yo to Wa transition process, me included.

Just do it! Once you go Wa, you never go back, lol

p.s.

how come my emoji never shows up?

Last edited:
Many have gone through the tough Yo to Wa transition process, me included.

Just do it!
Once you go Wa, you never go back, lol

p.s.

how come my emoji never shows up?
Oh I hear you man. 98% of my knives are wa handled. For some reason I do like the look of the TF yo handled knives as well which is rare for me. I probably will end up going Wa though.

This is good to know. I made an inquiry and requested preferences for a blade but didn’t actually purchase a knife about a week ago and haven’t heard back from them. They might be on vacation for the new year though...

This is good to know. I made an inquiry and requested preferences for a blade but didn’t actually purchase a knife about a week ago and haven’t heard back from them. They might be on vacation for the new year though...

I’m guessing they are. I think a lot of places take off until around the 6th in Japan. Could be wrong though. I’ll go ahead with the purchase maybe this evening and leave what I want etc in the notes. I thought about trying to contact first myself. This will be a nice way for me to test the steel/process since it’s my first “smaller” knife. All these years never really needed one but lately we’ve been doing more and more off premise catering and I would rather have a smaller blade to use in people’s homes. I think spending more money though, I would kind of want to know my options before I pull the trigger.

Depends on the balance you like, in a short knife Yo will be handle heavy, no way around it. Wa for me in a short knife like this.

Wa handles make more sense in a petty knife and short gyuto, but I like my TF Yo with the finger choil.
My 180mm Maboroshi balances just in front of the bolster, which works for me:
balance.jpeg
181mm x 48mm
162 grams

Last edited:
In general I prefer Wa for longer knives and Yo for petties. However all my longer 210+ TF gyutos are Yo and i think this works great for the TF with finger notch.

Wa handles make more sense in a petty knife and short gyuto, but I like my TF Yo with the finger choil.
View attachment 67817
181mm x 48mm
162 grams
That sounds like it could work for me. Usually i’m not super picky with handles. I generally prefer wa but I have nothing against yo handles at all.

View attachment 67817
181mm x 48mm
162 grams

That's actually not bad, helps that it is 48mm tall, still would feel handle heavy the way I pinch, but could be altered to feel neutral. The point still stands WA with ho wood will in general have balance more forward in otherwise identical knives.

For the guys that did order direct did you guys do the economy shipping or pay extra for the standard shipping.

Yeah, EMS only, no other options.
Also, non EMS shipping from Japan tends to get caught by custom & run the risk of being slapped import tax so I’ve heard.

This would be my first time ordering direct from TF. Was going to start a new thread but figured I would post here. Was looking at petties. Don’t have any smaller knives. Lately I’ve been wishing I had one. Instead of a petty I want a 180 gyuto. I was thinking either Watanabe or TF. I think this would be a good opportunity to give TF a shot. I’ve always wanted to. Im not handle picky. Wa or yo is fine. However, the last thing I want is a blade to show up with terrible issues. How exactly do you guys word these emails? If someone could walk me through it slightly, I would appreciate it. I think a denka is out of my price range so I would be going for a Mab. I’m not looking for a beefy 180. However I do want the heel height, an even grind ( obviously ), and one that’s going to be a touch on the thinner side when it comes to behind the edge. Do I just reach out to these guys and let them know exactly that? And am I betting off going for the wa or yo handle?
Thank you for creating these questions. Would it be possible for you to come back as you go through the process and update the forum? I am in the exact same boat and am curious if you get any response and what your final knife actually looks like in relationship to what you requested.

Thank you for creating these questions. Would it be possible for you to come back as you go through the process and update the forum? I am in the exact same boat and am curious if you get any response and what your final knife actually looks like in relationship to what you requested.
I would be happy to if everyone is cool with that. I’m a little nervous myself haha. First time ordering direct period, let alone with TF. Maybe I should of emailed first. We’ll see. I did not end up seeing a note section while ordering. I filled out my shipping info etc and then paid with paypal. There are 4 “steps” it seems in his ordering process. The third one being confirm. It seems like paypal was the second step. So I figured the third step would have the note section or whatever and then some kind of confirm button. Unfortunately after I paid with paypal it seemed like it went past step 3 and right to step 4 which is complete lol. So i’m a little nervous I was not able to leave a note with the order. However I filled out the inquiry section as well as emailed the email I found through my paypal invoice. Luckily, its a 180 mab gyuto and not a larger purchase. For most chefs, including myself, almost $300 for a 180 gyuto I feel is still a good amount of money. So i’m hoping when they come back from the holidays they will see my message with my preferences and exactly what I’m looking for before they just ship a knife. Fingers crossed! I’ve been wanting to try a TF for too long now. I figured a smaller knife would be a nice chance to test the process. I’ll keep you updated if you would like.

I would be happy to if everyone is cool with that. I’m a little nervous myself haha. First time ordering direct period, let alone with TF. Maybe I should of emailed first. We’ll see. I did not end up seeing a note section while ordering. I filled out my shipping info etc and then paid with paypal. There are 4 “steps” it seems in his ordering process. The third one being confirm. It seems like paypal was the second step. So I figured the third step would have the note section or whatever and then some kind of confirm button. Unfortunately after I paid with paypal it seemed like it went past step 3 and right to step 4 which is complete lol. So i’m a little nervous I was not able to leave a note with the order. However I filled out the inquiry section as well as emailed the email I found through my paypal invoice. Luckily, its a 180 mab gyuto and not a larger purchase. For most chefs, including myself, almost $300 for a 180 gyuto I feel is still a good amount of money. So i’m hoping when they come back from the holidays they will see my message with my preferences and exactly what I’m looking for before they just ship a knife. Fingers crossed! I’ve been wanting to try a TF for too long now. I figured a smaller knife would be a nice chance to test the process. I’ll keep you updated if you would like.
Did you choose Wa or Yo in the end? My first excursion into ordering TF direct (in fact my first ever Jknife's) were two 210 Wa Nashiji gyuto's. One with Machi and 46mm tall and the other a more laserish 50mm example without machi. One thing I regretted was not ordering them with upgraded octagonal Ho/horn handles. The basic freebie handles are trash.

Did you choose Wa or Yo in the end? My first excursion into ordering TF direct (in fact my first ever Jknife's) were two 210 Wa Nashiji gyuto's. One with Machi and 46mm tall and the other a more laserish 50mm example without machi. One thing I regretted was not ordering them with upgraded octagonal Ho/horn handles. The basic freebie handles are trash.
I ended up going yo handled. All of my knives except one are wa handled. I kind of dig the yo handled TF look and I won’t mind the weight. I think if everything goes smooth and I like the knife I would grab a 240 with probably a wa handle. I saw the option for the standard Wa handle and then I think that ebony handle which seems beautiful but pricey. I think if there ever is a next time i’ll sit down on the computer and order rather than my cell phone. I know sometimes certain websites can vary when on a phone and I might of missed something. Does he contact you regardless about the name engraving service before he ships? I do not want my name engraved on the blade. I’m sure he will see my email before the knife ships. God forbid he doesn’t I figured if they contact me for the name engraving I can ask them if they saw it at that point.

I think if everything goes smooth and I like the knife I would grab a 240

there’s a 240 readily available at one of the oz vendor. I have seen the product and seems like it is a decent one. I was shown a comparison between a 240 and 210 and i choose the 210 because it fits like a glove in my hand, the weight, balance, agile all are perfect.
I was getting excited about the TF amazing steel, i took the leap of faith to try get the denka. Contacted Gaku, he was nice enough to explain everything ( he typically reply within 1-3days) and he sent me the link including photos of the denkas that available at that moment. Seeing the shape and all, it doesn’t come close to my preference so i choose to hold my purchase until the next batch is available.

"I’m sure he will see my email before the knife ships."

I sent an inquiry right after I did an online order too. It took Gaku about 4 days but he did respond before shipping anything. Each correspondence has taken about 48hrs afterwards but all were very accommodating. I was sent pics of 3 samples knives closest to what I was hoping for to chose from. None were quite the height I was looking for and Gaku even offered that if I could wait until March he could queue up one made closer to the 55mm heel I was asking for

"I’m sure he will see my email before the knife ships."

I sent an inquiry right after I did an online order too. It took Gaku about 4 days but he did respond before shipping anything. Each correspondence has taken about 48hrs afterwards but all were very accommodating. I was sent pics of 3 samples knives closest to what I was hoping for to chose from. None were quite the height I was looking for and Gaku even offered that if I could wait until March he could queue up one made closer to the 55mm heel I was asking for
Thank you for the reply. I’m sure they are on vacation for the new year until Monday so I’m expecting delays which is fine. This makes me feel better about the situation.

Thank you for the reply. I’m sure they are on vacation for the new year until Monday so I’m expecting delays which is fine. This makes me feel better about the situation.

Any update on this purchase? I am looking to order a Nakiri and curious how yours went?

Back