question about troubles when raising burr

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what kind of stones are they that you can use em dry ?
ceramic and diamond stones are all I use, and they can be used dry. I compared various oil and water based stones to stones capable of being used dry and decided I preferred the convenience of the latter.

I use my diamonds wet.

My diamonds only see use when it is applicable for the steel or perhaps a rough task in the lower grits. I only have plated diamonds so no high speed stuff and they wear faster so no sense using them when they aren't needed and surely not dry.

To each their own.

I use my diamonds wet.

My diamonds only see use when it is applicable for the steel or perhaps a rough task in the lower grits. I only have plated diamonds so no high speed stuff and they wear faster so no sense using them when they aren't needed and surely not dry.

To each their own.
I have DMT stones and spyderco ceramics that have been used dry for 20 years and still work great. They both seem to do fine dry or wet.

When it comes to kitchen knives the diamond stones are only for setting the initial edge, repairing damage or reprofiling to a thinner angle. I use 800-5,000 grit ceramics to maintain the edge. Coarse diamond stones remove metal fast.

I have DMT stones and spyderco ceramics that have been used dry for 20 years and still work great. They both seem to do fine dry or wet.

When it comes to kitchen knives the diamond stones are only for setting the initial edge, repairing damage or reprofiling to a thinner angle. I use 800-5,000 grit ceramics to maintain the edge. Coarse diamond stones remove metal fast.

That's what I get for not scrolling lol.

I will add. I do find my diamonds will get clogged if I don't at the very least rinse them off during use.

I get better results just starting with water on them.

That's what I get for not scrolling lol.

I will add. I do find my diamonds will get clogged if I don't at the very least rinse them off during use.

I get better results just starting with water on them.
I keep a wet rag with me and wipe the diamond stones down when they start getting loaded with bits of steel.

when you feel for the burr do you press hard with the fingers on the side of the knife? i find it make it a lot easier for me

Doesnt matter.
The only thing is: are you able to detect the pressence or absence of a burr.
If you press softly, very hard or tickle the knife, doesnt matter.
If you can detect a burr by smelling, tasting or yelling at the knife, thats fine too.

Don't make a science out of it ;)

Doesnt matter.
The only thing is: are you able to detect the pressence or absence of a burr.
If you press softly, very hard or tickle the knife, doesnt matter.
If you can detect a burr by smelling, tasting or yelling at the knife, thats fine too.

Don't make a science out of it ;)
i can also feel it with my fingernail

Back