question about vegetable cutting technique

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cant understand how can you move the knife laterally without lifting it from the cutting board.
how can you do the guillotine and glide and move the knife laterally without making accordion cuts and using the tip as a anchor pivot point?
how do you move the tip?

Any knife skill takes practice. Al lot of practice. Just keep at it trying to improve over time and your brain will make the connections.

Any knife skill takes practice. Al lot of practice. Just keep at it trying to improve over time and your brain will make the connections.
i dont understand how do you move the knife towards your guide hand without lifting it off the board do you move the heel of the knife up and then move it towards your guide hand by scraping the board with the tip ?

See above.

More seriously, everyone who does G&G is a wizard. They do a guillotine, and then the knife is magicked 2 mm to the left by their unnatural sorcery. That’s the ‘glide’.
hahahaha :LOL: I am asking seriously !!!!!!!!

See above.

More seriously, everyone who does G&G is a wizard. They do a guillotine, and then the knife is magicked 2 mm to the left by their unnatural sorcery. That’s the ‘glide’.

Unfortunately I'm not a wizard, though I do go to a wizard for a fresh glide enchantment as soon as I receive a blade, new or used. Luckily an old homie graduated from the mage's college, and he hooks it up.

Unfortunately I'm not a wizard, though I do go to a wizard for a fresh glide enchantment as soon as I receive a blade, new or used. Luckily an old homie graduated from the mage's college, and he hooks it up.
:LOL:

For standard rock chopping you will keep contact and walk your knife across the board as you go. As you push forward with the heel of your knife, the tip of your blade will be pointed upwards at an angle. Pivot at the heel in this position to move the point laterally for your next cut. As you start your guillotine motion again is when you will pivot at the tip to lift at the heel. Repeat and you will get that smooth locomotive look. Imagine walking a chopstick across the table only using the ends. It's the same movement with a cut inbetween.

Aside from rolling your edge, there are other disadvantages that come with rock chopping though. It makes sense to use with thicker and/or softer steel because you can always hone on a rod and it helps with steering, but you're adding a motion. The cross and pivot between moving from point A and point B means you'll never be as fast as the guy not dragging his knife. If you're using a shorter knife that requires more lift, that's even more movement. You will also be less accurate because you're constantly reseting your angle.

The only situation I find it useful is when you want a long, slow stroke to keep the ungodly bundle in your opposite hand intact and you're saving time in a different way.
please take a look at his explanation is this how you are supposed to move the knife laterally ?

Last edited:
I find push cutting the best style of cutting for me like in the video of jacques, why would you even need the guillotine and glide method also known as classic rock chopping ?

Dull knives. I’ve noticed that g&g cuts better especially for things like carrots or peppers using any IKEA “air bnb” chef’s knife. 1) there’s leverage for tough things like carrots and 2) the angled start to the cut means a small section of the edge starts to slice into a small portion of the pepper skin, kind of like scissors cutting paper at an angle. Once the slice is begun the rest of the knife follows more easily. It is then a simple matter of pulling the pepper slices apart (if they were not by some miracle already sliced clean through by the knife).

please take a look at his explanation is this how you are supposed to move the knife laterally ?

Why don't you post a video of how you're doing it, and we'll critique from there. This thread is already 2 3/4 pages longer than it should take to explain this.

Between the explanations and videos provided, you've been given every tool outside of the Patrick Swayze Ghost treatment. At a certain point you just need to practice. For hours and hours, followed by more hours. No explaining, video walk through, or 1/12 scale model will be able to teach you what grabbing your knife and attacking some product will.

It's absolutely the same person. Look at their post timings.

They both post at all hours of the day and night, but their consistency in posting sprees inbetween other but in super tight gaps, is way too much to be coincidence.

I just looked briefly, and noticed one minute where they both posted, but it's mainly one posts for awhile and stops, the other starts within the hour and posts for awhile then stops, and suddenly the other is posting again. Fit me for my tinfoil hat I guess, but it seems fairly clear...

not wizardry, comes from muscle memory through countless repetition and cut up fingers.

Come on, that’s no fun.

More seriously, I used to G&G back in the day. But those days are so long past that it seems like a totally alien movement to me now.

It's absolutely the same person. Look at their post timings.

They both post at all hours of the day and night, but their consistency in posting sprees inbetween other but in super tight gaps, is way too much to be coincidence.

I just looked briefly, and noticed one minute where they both posted, but it's mainly one posts for awhile and stops, the other starts within the hour and posts for awhile then stops, and suddenly the other is posting again. Fit me for my tinfoil hat I guess, but it seems fairly clear...
who is the same person? if you are talking about me i have never been to this forum before !!!!

Last edited:
Just use this ancient and superior method and device
images (1).jpeg
images (1).jpeg

Slap my nuts? The guy’s too much 😂

I cut exactly like Jon’s video, & lift every cut, I thought it’s push cut but who re-named it to thrust cut?

Last edited:
@r0bz,

The lads are starting to have fun at your expense. As of this writing you've posted 33 times in this forum, all within this thread. You started with a reasonable question, one that many newcomers have some difficulty with at first. But consider:

The lads are bored. Corno has everyone inside and pretty much stuck at their computers. They're supposed to be working from home but they would rather save the world from neophyte knife users and are effing off on company time. So you ask the question. They answerexd the question. Several of them answered the question. And then you had the audacity of questioning the answers. And again. You kept getting more answers and you kept questioning the answers. And then you committed the cardinal sin - you brought in videos.

"The guy on this video says you're wrong - what do you think?" x10. The lads don't like this. You remind them of another poster that does this ad nauseum. And rather than simply leave things alone they are seeing who can be the wittiest. And that is where you're at.

If you're serious about learning some lifetime knife skills it can't be an academic exercise. Go to the store and buy some insurance, a bunch of carrots, a thing of celery, a few onions and a composter. Get out your best knife and go through some of the classic knife cuts. If you still have questions, vid yourself and ask about it. Most will have basics things come together quickly. Cut more, watch less.

And BTW you're way to concerned about what the knife is doing. Using the claw grip, keep the side of your blade against your knuckles to cut. If you're bleeding from the top, you're lifting the knife too high. If you're bleeding from the side, you're not holding the blade vertical. If your thumb is bleeding it's not tucked in properly. Stick with up and down, up and down and you can't cut yourself.

Last edited:
You remind them of another poster that does this ad nauseum.
Mmm, I wonder why?

And then you had the audacity of questioning the answers. And again.
I don't think anyone minds the answers being questioned as long as the questions have a solid basis and aren't just "whataboutism."

Well, for a small subset of "anyone," anyway.

Back