Question on knife shipping etiquette

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys are tough, not only do you not want to receive a damaged knife, but you also want it packaged just right so that there is no waste.

I feel that when I sell a knife I am responsible to the buyer to do everything I can to make sure the knife arrives undamaged. The only portion of the delivery process I can control is packaging, so I try to do my best there. If this means using too much tape, wrapper, etc so be it. I don’t know what delivery people will do to my package. I’ve received well packaged knives tipped. Some of my well packaged knives got tipped. I have very high confidence in the ability of mail carriers to destroy most packages, so I tend to overpack.

You guys are tough, not only do you not want to receive a damaged knife, but you also want it packaged just right so that there is no waste.

I feel that when I sell a knife I am responsible to the buyer to do everything I can to make sure the knife arrives undamaged. The only portion of the delivery process I can control is packaging, so I try to do my best there. If this means using too much tape, wrapper, etc so be it. I don’t know what delivery people will do to my package. I’ve received well packaged knives tipped. Some of my well packaged knives got tipped. I have very high confidence in the ability of mail carriers to destroy most packages, so I tend to overpack.
Yep I have no problem if someone wants to use a roll of bubble wrap to ship me a knife. That just means lots of free shipping supplies for my use in the future

Have you never received a knife from @labor of love and it seems like he saved up his and his neighbors grocery bags for a month for a knife he sent you? 🤔

I had a closet full of boxes and packing material from Amazon deliveries, so I don’t consider it wasteful to reuse them.

Packing is easy. The really hard part is deciding which knives to sell.

Awww who am I kidding. My 2nd rack just filled up and I have another knife on the way so I was going to sell one to make room and ended up just buying another rack instead. The closet full of boxes is for theoretical future knife sales are probably never going to happen. Is it wasteful having a closet full of unused boxes?

I want to receive an undamaged knife, and I do not care how we get there, but I'm also not going to be mad if someone found an efficient way to achieve this.

I'm strangely jealous of you guys and your available closets for stowing mounds of packing materials. Living in Paris with my children = every cubic cm is taken already. It's hard to justify a hundred K worth of real estate used to hang onto bubble wrap. I DO keep the original boxes from nice knives, but certainly can't hang onto packing materials.

Oh well, the next knife I sell will be the first knife I sell, so...

I'm strangely jealous of you guys and your available closets for stowing mounds of packing materials. Living in Paris with my children = every cubic cm is taken already. It's hard to justify a hundred K worth of real estate used to hang onto bubble wrap. I DO keep the original boxes from nice knives, but certainly can't hang onto packing materials.

Oh well, the next knife I sell will be the first knife I sell, so...
Put stuff from your closet under your kids bed. Problem solved.

There's no way I'd ever ship one of my knives in just a bubble wrap bag even if I wasn't responsible for it( which I am) to me that's irresponsible. Sorry for all the tape but consider that an adventure, think Christmas.

Latest posts

Back