Question re: Parmigian rinds

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrHiggins

Reaction score
I had a bunch of parm rinds saved up (probably 2/3 of a pound) so I just infused a gallon of chicken stock with them, which I think will make a great base for risotto.

My question is, are the parm rinds spent, or could I use them for something else? I simmered them in the stock for about two hours.

I use them too. But i don't know the answer. Let them dry and chill in the fridge and then grate a little and give it a taste?? Let us know the result and do parm rinds absorb chickeny goodness?

I use them till they’re absolutely spent. Trick is to continuously use a fork and press it down. If you leave them in there to simmer it will never break down.

We used them at a nice restaurant i worked for way back when. I remember having to chill the stock and remove wax much like defatting the stock.

Great stock for Risotto.

After steeping/ simmering them, strain and roll them in plastic wrap. Throw them into the fridge to chill and set. You can then grate/ shred it just like regular parm.
We steep ours in heavy cream and water (2 to 1 ratio) along with rosemary, thyme, peppercorns and garlic. Sometimes we add crushed red pepper flakes for subtle warmth. After we strain it we reduce the liquid some then let chill and thicken to a dip consistency.
The cheese rinds afterwards will often get shredded and have a cool flavor.

What's funny is I didn't really know about the shredability of the rinds until one of my Hispanic guys showed me. He had simply put the rinds in a double boiler with a hint of liquid and covered it for a few hours. He then lined a half pan with plastic, packed the softened rinds in and chilled to set. I didn't see this until he set the chilled block, along with some shredded, in front of me with a proud smile. I was impressed by the technique as well as his moxy and initiative.
Up to that point I had always trashed the rinds after simmering. YEARS worth of rinds. Thousands of pounds worth, all because I just didn't take it one step further.

Can also put some in when making ragu.
i put some inside ragu (my favourite boar ragu /rabbit ragu) and cover it with cartouche to keep it submerge.
160’c 4hours

After steeping/ simmering them, strain and roll them in plastic wrap. Throw them into the fridge to chill and set. You can then grate/ shred it just like regular parm.
We steep ours in heavy cream and water (2 to 1 ratio) along with rosemary, thyme, peppercorns and garlic. Sometimes we add crushed red pepper flakes for subtle warmth. After we strain it we reduce the liquid some then let chill and thicken to a dip consistency.
The cheese rinds afterwards will often get shredded and have a cool flavor.

What's funny is I didn't really know about the shredability of the rinds until one of my Hispanic guys showed me. He had simply put the rinds in a double boiler with a hint of liquid and covered it for a few hours. He then lined a half pan with plastic, packed the softened rinds in and chilled to set. I didn't see this until he set the chilled block, along with some shredded, in front of me with a proud smile. I was impressed by the technique as well as his moxy and initiative.
Up to that point I had always trashed the rinds after simmering. YEARS worth of rinds. Thousands of pounds worth, all because I just didn't take it one step further.
If I shred my leftover rinds (which are now chilled overnight in the fridge), what then? Just use as normal shredded parm? I'll be making a cast iron pan pizza tonight. Maybe toss some on before baking?

Edit: If I shred this stiff, I'll likely use the food processor. That'd be the preferred technique, right?

@MrHiggins yessir! That's what we do. Well, if it has been steeped with the herbs etc we just mix the shredded with regular shredded parmigiano. Great on risotto, pizzas and such

Back