Japanese Knives question regarding cork lined knife guards

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
one of the two that i have has lost its clasping shape, meaning it is opened up a little bit so that it no longer holds the blade with friction as the slot is too wide now. can this be bent back by sticking it in the oven for a minute? what would have caused it?

Abs’s melting point is 212 deg F. So boil water and submerge for a moment to come close to that temp (boiling water temp is 212 Deg). Pull out and bend into shape and hold while it cools in a bowl of icewater.

You could also try hitting just the spine with a heat gun and bending it tighter

I think youre on the right track with heat, I would try putting it in the oven with a weight on the two sides that are meant to grasp the knife and let it cool down that way.
I'm not sure if you leave your box in your car like a do every once in awhile but the heat in the trunk will cause then to want to stay in the open position.

one of the two that i have has lost its clasping shape, meaning it is opened up a little bit so that it no longer holds the blade with friction as the slot is too wide now. can this be bent back by sticking it in the oven for a minute? what would have caused it?

@panda I have a cork lined guard that opened up and became way too loose.

I finally fixed it by wrapping it in a paper towel, then ironing it for about 15 seconds on a wooden cutting board, them immediately pressing another cutting board down on top of it. The flat, surface of the cutting board is important, since the shape goes wonky with heat.

Maybe the cork lining got thinner? That would have the same effect, right?

Wood ones won't bend like Kydex....
IMG_20190405_234201.jpg

Good thing about the Kydex ones is that you can use heat to reshape them to fit thinner or fatter blades.

I use these. Basically the same as the Shi.han ones (only different materials, build, and aesthetic) but they’re $2.50 each. 🤷
Noble > Dexter?

The material does make a difference.
Shihan uses Kydex which is moldable, but not springy. The blade is held by wedging into supple, natural cork. Comfy.
Your very Noble guards are ABS, which is springy but not moldable. The springiness creates the clamping force that holds the blade. Works great but can scratch SS cladding, which is why some prefer the felt lined ones.

i like the Shihan guards more than plastic or sayas but cardboard and tape work best...

Reactions: ian
Noble > Dexter?

The material does make a difference.
Shihan uses Kydex which is moldable, but not springy. The blade is held by wedging into supple, natural cork. Comfy.
Your very Noble guards are ABS, which is springy but not moldable. The springiness creates the clamping force that holds the blade. Works great but can scratch SS cladding, which is why some prefer the felt lined ones.

i like the Shihan guards more than plastic or sayas but cardboard and tape work best...

Sorry, the comparison to Shi.han was a joke. The one you showed a pic of looks awesome, and I was trying to cover up my insecurities and self loathing by making some fun.

That said, I only use edge guards when storing a knife in my knife bag under the counter, so the aesthetics don’t really matter to me. Haven’t noticed any scratching, but all my knives are scratched up anyway so maybe I just haven’t noticed.

+1 to cardboard and tape

Last edited:
Have you no shame???

The Korin felt lined look good and are probably cheaper. And you're not carrying around a bunch of Dexters. :cool:
I have a bunch if the Korin guards—used to work not far from Korin—but found them problematic with some of my carbons, the felt got embedded with rust on the knives when I used them in a humid location. I'm a fan of the cork lined guards.

I bought the Chef Sac brand, similar to Noble Chef. For a reason unknown to me - and I'm not saying yours are the same @ian - these are ****** for carbon knives. I have multiple of them, but only use a couple in the end - that's as much stainless knives as I have. Most of my collection are in their original box. Nothing ever happens to them there. So I've been wary about trying to replace the Chef Sac with a "better option". I also had magnetic Victorinox sheaths that will make any steel rust.

I'll also give a vote to cardboard and tape.

A most respected member sent me once a carbon knife with a felt lined Dexter. Caused rust at the end of the lining. Must have to do with the temperature changes in my backpack during winter time. Since, I only use cardboard.
I really hate felt lined guards, learned my lesson when I traveled with them on my carbons.

For longer hauls the liners is a humidity trap. But just to drive one day to a location of your vacation has not been an issue for me (flying may turn more challenging as there is more pressure change happening that will affect the condensation). But for those cases one may still use a VCI paper in between to make sure nothing bad happens.

For longer hauls the liners is a humidity trap. But just to drive one day to a location of your vacation has not been an issue for me (flying may turn more challenging as there is more pressure change happening that will affect the condensation). But for those cases one may still use a VCI paper in between to make sure nothing bad happens.
I gotta get some of that paper. TBH, the cork lined guards are my favorites, but they do occasionally lose their tightness.

Back